Further Effects of "The Voice" debate

old man emu

It was a politicised referendum from the word Go - and there was no general community consultation on whether a Voice was needed, or if something else was required, to appease the permanently-angry members of the Indigenous set. The Voice was just put up by Albo, out of the blue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Yesterday we saw an echidna around the house, a meaty looking slow thing with very short legs. I'm angry that blackfellows are allowed to shoot them . Personally, I reckon the use of rifles should go with whitefeller rules, and "traditional hunting rights" should mean that traditional weapons should be used. So I would restrict blackfellows to spears, and not ones with steel heads either.

A pipedream?   Yes, but the legislation I would like to see will be more likely to follow a "no" vote.

Are you suggesting they would hunt less animals with traditional weapons? Is there evidence to that?

3 hours ago, spacesailor said:

If you vote NO ,

At lease it can be rewritten,  BE more Transparent. & a lot more informed. 

Vote YES , And you will live with the consequences .

spacesailor

Spacey - I suggest tyou read the constitution and spell out anything in powers and obligations of government that is more clear or transparent.  And if we vote Yes, can you please enlighten us on the consequences that we will face? Because, seriously, I don't see anything practical other than the govermnet must maintain an advisory body and I really want to know what I am missing.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Are you suggesting they would hunt less animals with traditional weapons? Is there evidence to that?

Yes indeed. I have personally seen indigenous using outboard motor dinghys to bring multiple sea turtles in for feasts, when the traditional canoe and spear might take all day to kill one. And then repeating this. Coincidentally there is a serious decline in sea turtle populations in northern waters.

Although to some extent there are other factors at play, the modern tools tilt the balance significantly against the prey.

I wouldn't mind so much if they would do the same for feral pigs, goats, horses, camels, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

OK - fair enough - If it is systemic across the country, they it shold be intorduced; if it is localised, then local regs should do it..

I don't see how voting No in the voice would make it any more probable that enacting such legislation would take place.

A Yes vote doesn't give the ATSI community carte blanche that I could see.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

As I see it, the issue of hunting rules, has no bearing on the proposed change to the constitution.

My comment was simply supporting the assertion that some special privileges enjoyed by some indigenous, are not well balanced.

It is an example of something that would benefit from revision, but like many problematic issues, has no guarantee of rectification by creation of a new voice.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

4 hours ago, Marty_d said:

The Uluru Statement from the heart was written 6 and a half years ago, not like this is a surprise…

You are simply voting to let the original inhabitants of this land have a Voice. That's all. The government of the day decides the format of that voice and the next government can change it if they want. 

We can blame the Howard government for this effort to put The Voice in the Constitution. They want to stop a future PM from doing what he did: getting rid of an Aboriginal consultative body.

4 hours ago, Marty_d said:

By the way, the only advertising I got in the mailbox was from the No side, and it was full of lies.

Me too. We received a cardboard list of misinformation and straight-out fibs with a photo of Barnaby Joice on it. Probably paid for out of his electoral allowance- that is, you and me, the taxpayers.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

It is an example of something that would benefit from revision, but like many problematic issues, has no guarantee of rectification by creation of a new voice.

Again, I agree with you.. but where in the constituion are there guarantees of rectification if something is not working right? Show me one, and i will shut up.

The connstitution comes close to guaranteeing a democratic and transparent law making process, and the powers and obligations.. it does not, however, guarantee the outcomes of the exercise of those powers and obligations will achieve anything, nor that the law making process will indeed be democratic and transparent. There is good reason for it; what was envisaged as fair and balanced in 1901 in many things (most, I would argue) is not the same as today. So if you don't allow the open and democratic law making process to move with the times, you will have to go to a referendum every time the law has to change - because to achieve that balance and fairness, the constitution has to be implementing legilsation, not just a description of what the powers and obligations are.

But the open and democratic process of law making will hopefully - over time - result in a balanced implementation of whatever it is; look at all the complaints we have on these fora of inequities, unfairness, outright corruptions, etc..  and that is just this fora..  It sort of indicates virtually every area of the constitution has no guarantees.

Again, happy to be corrected, but show me somewhere in the constitution that guarantees anything is fair and balanced, and achieves its aims.

Otherwise, the question is simple - do you want the government to have to ensure there is an ATSI advisory body or not.. 

Everything else is conjecture and will depend on the implementation of the day.,

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

8 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I understand that.. Can you give me an example in the consutution where it guarantees something the governments have to do or can do is going to be balanced, fair, proportional, etc?

And that is what some say is a reason to vote this change down.

Because the change is implied to be a fix to make government actions more fair for indigenous Australians. As you point out, the constitution change (in itself) does not mention anything about improving balance or fairness.

Kerry White doesn't sound much like a radical from a Sydney or Melbourne elite suburb. It seems her life's work in the area of public health has kept her cultural ties strong. Maybe she is in fact a Voice of the rural and remote people who are the ones who really need to voice their concerns and ideas of how these people and governments should work together.

And then we get the unhelpful calls to stop geological surveys 375 kms off the coast because the methodology (generating sound waves by blasts of air into the water and listening for the sound echo) might interfere with the communication of whales. Australia’s Exclusive Economic Zone extends 370 kms off the coast.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Kerry White doesn't sound much like a radical

I am not sure about that.

During the same podcast, Ms White alleged that the Voice would end up "taking over" Parliament and abolishing it.

"You can call me a conspiracy theorist if you like," she said.

"But I know the way that these people work and that is what will end up happening. Aboriginal people will be running this country and all the white people here will be paying to live here."

This does not seem moderate to me.     Is this what "No " supporters here believe?

Has this happened in Canada? New Zealand? Norway? Finland?

No supporters that I have talked to seem unaware that South Australia has legislated a state-based voice with elections on March 16, 2024.  Will this lead to dire predictions of the no-case coming to pass? 

I guess time will tell.

Other countries seem to manage various arrangements.   Although these countries still have their problems it is hard to find a country that has as poor outcomes as we do.

Edited by octave
  • Agree 2