Ridiculous Rides.

red750

I must say I'm surprised he mounted it on a pretty basic International truck. I would've thought an eccentric like he is, would have it powered by a big radial up front - and "look out pedestrians!", emblazoned on it, in the finest American "freedom" manner!

"Someone" did a DC-3 cockpit built onto a 30 cwt or something in Brisbane. Probably an ex PNG Sunbird Pilot. I saw it a few times at Pilot gatherings in the 90's .Nicely done and fairly high up. Vision would be a bit restricted. Certainly drew a bit of attention wherever it went.  Nev

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

"Someone" did a DC-3 cockpit built onto a 30 cwt or something in Brisbane. Probably an ex PNG Sunbird Pilot. I saw it a few times at Pilot gatherings in the 90's .Nicely done and fairly high up. Vision would be a bit restricted. Certainly drew a bit of attention wherever it went.  Nev

If it's the same one, it was still getting around airshows in recent years. I remember seeing it at the David Hack Classic.

cf34331.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The story of the Australian "original" aircraft motorhome is down the page a bit on the link below. It wasn't mounted on a 30cwt, it was mounted on a KB-5 International 5 tonner.

Not exactly a speed machine, the old KB-5 was only good for a cruise speed of about 70kmh. Trucks were limited to 40mph (65kmh) in the 40's and 50's, and the limits were enforced.

If you ran the old IH Silver Diamond 233 cu. in. motors "pedal to the metal", they'd burn valves quite rapidly. The engine only produced 50 BHP, and peaked out at 3400 RPM.

https://rvdaily.com.au/the-fabulous-flamingo-dc-3-motorhome-conversion/

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1

There were over 13,000 DC3's built  in total. There's not likely to be a severe shortage of them into the future. It's a good airframe. Called Gooney Bird, Biscuit Bomber Dakota and probably a few other things. Responsible for a lot of the CARGO Cult phenomena in PNG..  Nev

• Informative 1

I have been lucky enough to have had a  couple of flights on a DC3.  The first one was when I was about 15 an in Air Training Corp.  We got to visit Edinburgh air base where we got to go for a couple circuits in the ARDU (Air Research and Development unit) who at the time had 1 DC3.

The second time was a coupler of  years later when I was for a short time a member of the Army Reserve band.  We flew to Kangaroo Island and back for a gig.    I remember this DC3 had a clear acrylic? dome for Astro navigation  It was great to stick your head up onto the dome during flight.

Later on when I was a musician in the RAAF we played out I think the retirement of one owned by the RAAF.  This was in Darwin and it involved marching band.  We played as we marched down the taxiway all the way out to the runway with the aircraft following behind,   After it took off it did a rather spectacular low pass over our heads.

Edited by octave
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

The weight saving design of the aircraft fuselage would be particularly important for motor home use. Weight is a killer in all these designs, particularly when the occupants want to carry every comfort of home with them!

I once bought a farm (late 1970's) and on the scrap pile at the farm was the remnants of someones homebuilt caravan.

It was built on a 1935 Ford truck chassis (using the front axle re-positioned to the centre of the chassis - and the construction was 3 x 2 inch jarrah (wood) stud frame, clad in overlapping (clinker) weatherboard timber cladding - and it contained a No. 2 Metters wood stove!! I hate to think what it weighed, when it was completed! He must have used the farm truck to haul it around!

A Mr A. Knowles, a retired timber merchant, built a semi-trailer motorhome in the early 1950's, based on a KS-5 International. Unusually for the time, the KS-5 also sported a dual cab or crew cab.

I'm not sure if he built the rig new, or converted a WW2 military-worker-carrying semi-trailer bus, of which quite a few were built, to transport workers to the war factories during WW2.

https://collections.slq.qld.gov.au/viewer/IE1220498

After he moved the KS-5 on, Mr Knowles built a very smart motorhome based on a Bedford bus chassis (1955). This would have cost him a very substantial sum at the time, and he was obviously extremely wealthy.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/79251976

In the following photos of a number of very early caravans, is a photo of a semi-trailer-style homebuilt caravan, made from an aircraft fuselage. The nose section appears to be have been mounted on a "Blitz" (Canadian Military Pattern) truck.

This is truly a remarkable piece of work and it would be interesting to find out more detail on it.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/qanzac100/pool

• Informative 2

At the end of WWII the Yanks held massive Clearing Sales of the equipment they had brought to the South-west Pacific and didn't want to take home. The stuff included C-47s which, as we all know was, the DC-3 built to a military spec.  A lot came to Australia. Butler Air Transport Co. purchased three from a stockpile in the Philippines. Once back home the Company set about returning them the the civilian DC-3 configuration. That mainly involved replacing the back-to-the-wall bench seats with side-by-side seats.

image.jpeg.bbb15c4ca4cd515ef5d60960d137402d.jpeg

Another big job wa to replace the rear cargo door with the smaller DC-3 passenger door.

Unloading a Jeep from a C-47 – WW2 Images   image.thumb.jpeg.9c42c0a0d3cba697992812b239cdf21c.jpeg

A certain well-known pace bowler whose career batting average was 7.00, despite a fighting 61 in a last wicket stand of 114, is involved with a tourism company that is nearly finished restoring a DC-3/C-47 for aerial tourism. 

• Informative 1

The number of caravans and motorhomes built from wrecked aircraft fuselages is quite amazing. Here's just a small selection. The abilities of some of these blokes was nothing short of superb. I love the 1948 aluminium caravan built by a bloke who reportedly built aircraft during WW2 (Aug 31, 2011 post) It wouldn't be out of place, if new, today.

https://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/thread/4213/caravans-built-out-aircraft-components

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Like one of Ansett's old Bell helicopters. For a number of years it was at a kids play park where the Forest Hill police station now stands. When Wobbies World went out of business, it was relocated to  a farm on the Dandenong-Frankston Rd. As my copyright bar states, I took this photo in 2012.

1478877381_Bell47JVH-INEDandenong-FrankstonRd.thumb.jpg.30e09a57d4934896b36eebda17aa47a4.jpg