Site Problem

willedoo

Times are fine here too, but I have a different problem when accessing the site on my phone - keeps coming up with an "invalid certificate" error and wants me to return to "safety".  

(I know some of the opinions on here may be a bit dodgy, but unsafe?)

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Times are fine here too, but I have a different problem when accessing the site on my phone - keeps coming up with an "invalid certificate" error and wants me to return to "safety".  

(I know some of the opinions on here may be a bit dodgy, but unsafe?)

Marty, I wonder if it's an issue with your browser. If the site's SSL certificate was expired, we all should be getting the error message.

I very rarely access this site from my phone, only the desktop - and I've had no access problems to the site. I have noticed the internet slowing up on regular occasions recently, though - and I put that down to, (A) increased phone useage over the holiday period, and (B) increased transaction levels via mobile devices, as people spend their holiday monies/gift cards, etc.

You can do a download/upload speed test via a number of test sites, just to see if your connection speed is the problem. A lot of internet providers promise faster speeds than they can deliver - and some providers throttle back your internet speeds on certain plans, if you exceed a set level of use. I have an unlimited internet plan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=download%2Fupload+speed+test&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you're having a security certificate problem, it may be due to your AV programme being too sensitive. You can often readjust AV settings for sensitivity, or exclude "trusted" sites from AV rejection.

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 2

That's a pretty good speed. Are you on full NBN? We only have FTTC, the line from the footpath to the house is still copper and we have an optical fibre/copper gateway in a pit on the footpath. I'm only getting 53 Mbps.

Interestingly, NBN recently sent us a flyer, saying we'd be much better off getting full fibre, and there are a number of installers who can do that for us. It looks like a lot of others with FTTC might be grumbling about slower speeds than expected.

Edited by onetrack

This site has got bad recently. Sometimes I've logged out and logged back in again to regain control. It's like waiting on a large movie spooling, the little wheel thingy going round and round and round and.........Doesn't happen on other sites.

No problem here Peter, I'd have to say something like tracking is interfering with your access to the site. You know, the old story - you click on a website address, and you watch as the address in the URL redirects you to one or more tracking/advertising/whatever-they-do-with-our-info, sites - and the little wheel spins, while all the redirects to those sites you never gave permission to, to access your computer, are carried out - before you can finally access your desired website.

Get Ghostery (free programme) and be frightened by the amount of tracking on you from most websites. The best part is, Ghostery blocks all the unnecessary ones. Facebook is the worst, they track you even when you aren't logged into Facebook.

• Informative 1

On 08/01/2023 at 5:19 PM, onetrack said:

Facebook is the worst, they track you even when you aren't logged into Facebook.

Would that only be if you haven't deleted cookies? I don't have much problem with tracking, as far as I can see. The browser blocks a lot of it, plus I have a dynamic IP with my server, and I run a couple of cleaners every time before I shut down. In that way, the next boot is fairly clean with a fresh IP, and all temp files, cookies etc gone.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I can access the site and log in on the laptop ok, but this morning the Android phone was blocking access saying the site's security certificates were invalid. Tried with a proxy, but it couldn't get past that double log in glitch the site has with some systems. Just wondering whether the website's security certificates have expired.

• Like 1

I've noticed that too Willie - from my android phone.  Most of the time I get that "Unsafe" message on Social Australia, I just click "advanced" then "proceed to Social Australia (unsafe)".   It's a pain, but I never get it on the PC.

• Informative 2