Here comes Dan

red750

From the Victorian Farmers Federation:

The VFF is aware of misinformation being circulated amongst the community regarding the Agriculture Amendment Bill 2022 which is currently before the Victorian Parliament.

The VFF received a briefing from the government prior to the introduction of the Bill and the VFF understands the intentions behind all changes to legislation that the Bill proposes.

The Agriculture Amendment Bill 2022 is a complex and varied piece of legislation that seeks to amend 11 separate Acts. There are a number of changes that the VFF supports including improvements to biosecurity enforcement. The VFF welcomes increasing penalties and provisions for offences associated with noxious weeds or pest animals.

For full article 

Agriculture Amendment Bill 2022

• Like 2

I skimmed through the explanatory notes to the Bill and I get the impression that parts of it are to do with the spread of noxious weed (win for the Greens). Part deal with the cultivation of Cannabis for fibre production and poppies for medical opiates. In relation to giving away meat that you have slaughtered yourself, I can't see that greatly affecting farmers and graziers. I suspect it is being introduced to kerb the activities of a lot of migrants and refugees whose normal practices involve killing their animals in urban backyards. As far as I can see, the amendments relating to food are health-based. Who wants to see kids infected with hydatids and other food animal nasties?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, octave said:

From the article "Most farmers work hard to control noxious weeds and feral animals"    My guess is the agricultural amendment bill is to address those who don't.      These fines I would imagine are very much maximum fines for people who are genuinely and knowingly doing the wrong thing. ...

That is pretty much how most legislation is framed. Why the sudden outcry about this one?

• Agree 1

Because it's Dan the Pinko, or Commo, preparing to take away all the people rights? All this crap always starts with American Right Wingers talking about how they must never become like the Australian Sheeple, where they are downtrodden and helpless, because the Gubbmint has taken away all their guns, and tells them what to do every single day, like being forced to get vaccinated with poisonous toxins. Gimme a break. I've even got relatives who believe this crap, and not unsurprisingly, they voted for the UAP.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

The reason I posted that news item was regarding the banning of sharing meat from anything you killed. I don't know if it's still done in the bush - I've lived in the city since 1960 - but when I was a high school student, my father would occasionally slaughter a sheep and share some with neighbours. As the article says, shoot half a dozen rabbits, you can't give one to your brother. 

• Informative 1

It's a case of what happens on the farm, stays on the farm. I'm sure that the thinking behind that "no sharing" rule is to limit the chances of people eating meat that has not passed a health inspection. It is not uncommon for new arrivals from less developed countries to buy sheep, goats, pigs, ducks and chooks from small time producers on the fringes of metropolitan areas to slaughter themselves. There are no inspections of these animals and no means of tracing their origin. 

I wouldn't eat feral pig if I shot it, and one has to think about the parasite load of duck and kangaroo. The Health Department warns against eating seafood taken from rivers that flow through metropolitan areas since the toxic metal load of that seafood is not known.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, red750 said:

The reason I posted that news item was regarding the banning of sharing meat from anything you killed. I don't know if it's still done in the bush - I've lived in the city since 1960 - but when I was a high school student, my father would occasionally slaughter a sheep and share some with neighbours. As the article says, shoot half a dozen rabbits, you can't give one to your brother. 

It's been that way in Queensland for decades. A farmer can kill his own meat on farm, but it has to stay on farm. It's not legal to give away to family or friends if they live off farm. It's nothing new from Dan.

Edit: that's the State Government position. The legality of butchering on farm is also subject to the particular local council by-laws of the district you live in.

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1

So no more Roo meat, on the cheap !.

I will miss my treat.

The local butcher sells it, & rabbit, duck and turkey.

BUT

Their prices are definitely above normal peoples pockets.  ( $40 ish ).

I suppose there will be a rush to increase the tip charges for animal carcasses. ( 20 culled roos per night  ).

Will the coucil reduce their licensing fee for those hard working dog loving cullers. Plus having that ' anti gun ' /police inspections.

At any time that suits the police.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed word

The laws regarding slaughtering animals are pretty much the same Australia-wide, and many small country butchers had to cease slaughtering operations in their pretty crude setups, because they could not meet the high standards demanded by the States Health Depts. You need to be pretty fastidious with your slaughtering arrangements and setup, or you can make people very ill.

• Agree 2

Make people ill !.

Same as putting the Second deadliest poison in our drinking water !!!.

Long term benifits ? teeth !, it doesn't look good.

Long term problems ?  Brain damage !  just the first to show up. Then five years off your life span. 

spacesailor

Spacey, you'd need to be drinking 1000 litres of fluoridated water a day to cause any damage to your body. There's more health risk in the leaded paint on your house, or in the lead in your soldered joints in your plumbing and guttering, than there is in fluoride in the water. The amount of fluoride added to drinking water is one litre to one million litres - you get a much higher percentage of bird shxx and rat shxx in your "pure" rainwater tanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

BUT !!!.

FLUORIDE does NOT leave your body,

EVER.

Salmonella l have had from eggs. I,m still here.

Lead poisoning l had by chewing lead soldiers.  Still around.

BUT

FLORIDE l will Never get it out of my body.

I even eat meat & vegetables, washed , cooked & grown with fluoride. 

I used ( past tense ) to brush my teeth with it.

More insidious than Mercury . That l played with as a child.

Don,t like Mercury,  don,t eat Those foods that have it in them !.

BUT

Fluoride is in Everything.

AND IT,S DELIBERATE

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed word

Apparently kids do ingest more. Sodium Fluoride  occurs Naturally and sometimes in very high concentrations. There's plenty of good research out there and some that doesn't meet accepted standards. More is needed but at present levels encountered in Normal water supplies should not cause issues. Like many things excesses will be life threatening.  It's in TEA..  Nev

• Agree 1

Some plant "things" concentrate minerals in leaves, Fruit and seeds Ie Brazil nuts are high in selenium. 4 a day is the limit of safe intake. Trace elements ie Zinc magnesium  iodine and many others are essential in low  amounts. There's no indication that fluoride  is an  essential trace element but it does reduce tooth decay and occurs naturally in many rivers, sometimes in excessive amounts for good health. It's a complex subject that needs further  "quality" investigation. Nev

• Agree 1

Saccharine! . My generation have been using it for millenia,  

Still here.

With a bit of cancer l suppose.

Stop using & it will reduce or  go out of your body! .

I prefer Sugar ! , but thats a Big no, no with my health officials .

I mean sugar is a Natural plant extract.

JUST 

The same as Stevia !, so what makes this one acceptable ?.  Both are highly processed. 

But sugar comes in different stages of refinement. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1