Novak Djokovic is a spoilt brat.

red750

Novak Djokovic has an estimated nett worth of $220,000. Not a fortune by some standards, but a hell of a lot more than I have. So he can play tennis, so what? He knew the rules that applied to everyone else and thought he could thumb his nose at them. He has got his come uppance.

• Agree 3

Think you meant $220M: https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-tennis/novak-djokovic-net-worth/

Be that as it may, most tennis "stars" are spoilt brats.

He (or his admin staff) knew the rules that applied (and still apply) to everyone else - and he followed them - and was allowed in under those rules (in fact, the rules were applied a touch more rigorously  and the assessment panel didn't know who they were assessing when they approved his application. In this case it looks like he did follow the rules in pursuit of the USD$2.1m prize money as well as becoming the player with the most grand slam wins in history (currently equal with Federra and Nadal, I think).

I would say the main stream media decided this could be a beat up because of the fact that Djokovic is who he is, rather than the facts... doesn't sound like anything new. And, of course, ScoMo jumped in on the act. Hopefully both get their comeuppance.

Re Djokovic.. as Jack Rance, ex. Richmond footballer  said, "Hey... I am just playing the deck of cards life dealt to me"...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

as well as becoming the player with the most grand slam wins in history (currently equal with Federra and Nadal, I think).

Not quite. Serena Williams is in the lead with 23 grand slam singles titles. The other three are on 20. That's in the Open era. Margaret Court is all time lead at 24.

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 1

We'll have to wait until Monday afternoon after the matter is dealt with in Court. As far as I'm concerned the bloke has to follow the rules. I have no objection to his obtaining a visa to enter Australia. He's not a criminal or terrorist. However, a criteria for entering Australia at the moment is to provide evidence of immunisation. Just like it was back in the 1960s when people entering Australia had to provide evidence of vaccination against Small Pox. The still carry that evidence in the form of a circular scar on their upper arm.

This bloke has not met with the conditions of entry. They are basically the same conditions that I was required to meet in order to enter the hospital to see my wife, even as she lay dying in a palliative care ward. In fact they are less stringent that the conditions that prevented my mother from leaving her aged care facility to attend my wife's funeral.

Who gives a sh|t if some bloke misses a few games of tennis. It's not as if the Australian Open is the only Grand Slam tournament to be held in 2022. Strewth, maybe an Australian might get a crack at winning it.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Don't you just love the way the Serbians are protesting full scale, like it's a direct attack on Serbian Democracy, the Serbian President is claiming foul treatment from Australia, aimed at all Serbians - and he wants Djokovic moved to a "higher class hotel". No wonder all the wars start in the Balkans, this mob are nothing but a selfish, self-centred, pack of imbeciles.

• Agree 1

I would imagine that every linesperson, ball person, umpire, change room manager etc., etc has had to confirm their vaccination status and have a RAT every day before being allowed to start their work. Although sports persons can win big money, or even be paid to participate, when it comes down to it, that makes them employees of the organisers. They are rowing the same boat as the person who cleans the shower rooms.

I acknowledge the effort sportspersons put in to get to the top of the heap, but when it is all boiled down, they are only part of the "bread and circuses" for the great unwashed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, red750 said:

A Croatian female player has also had her visa cancelled and is going home.

She is quoted as saying the Tennis Australia said she'd be OK. We might find that the fault was served up by Tennis Australia. I wonder if an enquiry will net the one who said it.

And you can hardly write the comment I made without tennis puns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd like an enquiry. It's too political. The others were found belatedly and it still acts to bugger the Victorian Open. With the rate of infection here being what it's become a few extra cases from overseas won't make any difference. For my money it's a stunt and distraction from what's going on with rate of infection, supply of tests and vaccines etc.. Nev 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Supposedly, his lawyers papers claim he tested positive on Dec 16 and that gives him clearance to come. But photos on social media show him maskless in a large gathering a few days later.

He's now known as No Vax Djokovic.

• Like 2

I'm not interested in silly names and I have little time for anti vaxers but IF you go right into his circumstances I consider there is a case to be made. that he acted in good faith. What good is this fiasco to the one who DOES win the slam IF Djokovich is not allowed to play. He was clearly in line for the record number of WINS. and He's Serbia's equivalent of Don Bradman.  Do you think Border Farce isn't political ?   IF you visit SERBIA (or France) don't tell anyone you are an Australian. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are requirements that he had to comply with to be allowed in. He has declined to say he was vaccinated so there has to be another reason that he could be allowed in. He supposedly had Covid in 2021 around April I think, but he had to have been positive for covid in the 6 months prior to his arrival. Did he get covid again, within 6 months of arrival, If so he would appear to be very casual in his avoidance of the virus, but that is obvious to all.

The question tomorrow is will he be able to prove that he complied with the entry requirements. If he can do so, then border force is going to be exposed for detaining him illegally. If he cannot, then border force will be exonerated and he should be deported, but of course he can appeal again and keep doing so for the next umpteen years, as a lot of supposed refugees are doing. I doubt that he will appeal further as it would reduce his ability to make money playing tennis.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The court threw out his visa cancellation and released him. I wonder what Scotty's next move will be. The government unsuccessfully tried to delay the court hearing until Wednesday so Novak would miss the Australian Open draw. The court knocking that application back was the first slap in the face for Scotty & Co., and now they've lost the case completely. They'll either cancel his visa again or just give up and find another diversion.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Reading the material presented by Novak's legal representatives to the Court, https://www.fcfcoa.gov.au/migration-law/online-file/djokovic it is abundantly clear that the Government Officer who made the decision to prohibit Novak's entry didn't have a damned clue about the Law relating to the case.

I admit that I was sucked in by the Meeja. I was wrong when I said this:

On 07/01/2022 at 9:10 PM, old man emu said:

However, a criteria for entering Australia at the moment is to provide evidence of immunisation.

I apologise to Mr Djokovic wholeheartedly for failing to have a proper grasp of the facts of the matter and the applicable Law.

May he succeed in his attempt to win the Australian Men's Open.

• Like 2