Novak Djokovic is a spoilt brat.

red750

What a clusterf**k this Govt and its incompetent ministers and PM are. We're becoming the laughing stock of the world, thanks to this farce. Hawke releases a Ministerial Statement right on close of business on a Friday night, saying he's cancelled Djokovics visa - and Djokovic's lawyer appeals again, immediately.

Court is convened at 8:45PM EDT, then promptly adjourned as soon as the basics of the appeal are heard. Now, the appeal won't be heard until Sunday.

Meantimes, Hawke has admitted he hasn't read Djokovic’s material provided to him, which included scholarly articles about natural immunity relating to the virus. It's like something out of the Three Stooges.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2022/jan/14/novak-djokovic-news-live-visa-cancelled-australia-2022-australian-open-tennis-latest-updates-immigration-minister-alex-hawke

• Like 1

So his visa has been stopped again and the reason given by the minister is that to allow him to stay would "excite anti vaccine sentiments"

What a load of rubbish. The minister seems unable to take the easy way out and say he lied when he came into the country.

Our illustrious PM has applauded the decision stating that our strong border protection policies have kept Australia safe. Again what a load of rubbish. The Federal government has been found wanting all through the pandemic, right from the Ruby Princess debacle, where the NSW government were blamed for the Feds not doing their job to all the states taking over and doing what the feds should have done in the first place.

• Agree 3

Interesting quote from Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic. He makes a reasonable point:

“They often preach to us about the rule of law. You can imagine what it would look like if a Minister in Serbia annulled court decisions. They showed us what an independent judiciary looks like, but they also showed us what an irrelevant judiciary looks like, because all the power there is in the hands of the executive".

• Informative 1

I ead the official documentation and was amazed at the stupidity of the Minister. He bases his reasoning for cancelling the visa solely on the fact that Djokovic being allowed in will cause the anti vaxers to have more power.

He acknowledges that the immigration form was filled in with false information, but says that he is not worried by that.

I don't know what the outcome of the three judge hearing is, or if it has been made, but I expect the minister will not get his way. Which leads to the question, did he really want to succeed, or did he want to please those who wanted Djokovic out and also those that supported him. It really looks like a Scumbag decision anyway.

• Agree 1

I guess one day when the leaks start we'll know more about who was really steering the show. It does have all the hallmarks of yet another diversionary clown stunt by our illustrious PM. I think we can expect plenty more of them leading up to the election.

Reminds me of one of those Indian Hills Community Centre signs that read "The problem with political jokes is that they sometimes get elected".

• Agree 1

I doubt the issue will disappear easily on the world stage but the domestic stage is anouther thing. The appealk would only bas based on three things: 1) The minister exceeded their power under the law; 2) the reason for denying Djokovic his vis was not within the discretion of the minister; or 3) The reasoning for the use of that discretion was flawed. The first two are pretty easy to ascertain, but where there is subjectivity (as per the stated reason of giving credence to anti-vaxers and therefore against the public interest), it is far harder and one would have to turn to precendets to work out how that would have gone dowm.

The judges hear the facts and [should] apply the law - so their reasoning should be purely legal. Of course, the reasoning for denying Djokovic his visa are anything but in the public interest [edit] - 2 independent panels already established the public interest wasn't an issue [/edit] and they are not relying on the mistaken/false declaration. I think the reasoning is already well defined: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/accept-the-call-go-home-djokovic-20220115-p59ogz.html

There was another article in The Age stating that most people want him deported. Election looming, what a great leader we have to do the dirty work needed...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

It would seem that he will not be able to re enter Australia for 3 years. Today I heard Scumbag say he did not have a valid visa when he came here. hat is absolute bulldust, or is it better to say a lie.

He entered the country with a valid visa when the judge let him in last Monday. That ruling proved he had a valid visa. The reason he had his visa cancelled by the minister was because his presence in this country was likely to advance the anti-vaxers point of view.

The minister did not pursue the fact that he made a false declaration, in fact he accepted it as an honest mistake. Why? Maybe he is becoming like a Yank and expects lies all around.

There is no doubt that this has all been a scam by Scumbag to deflect our attention to the governments poor handling of the Covid situation and also to bolster his appeal to the voters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sco Mo is always one for the SHOW. 4 flags, military brass, red carpet arrivals Hard hat and vest sits in planes and trucks and looks like the Village Idiot. Promises LOTS and delivers Little. Gets easily into the Sky Channel Box at the cricket and makes OFF comments. Got as much empathy as lava from a Volcano .   Forces hand shakes on firefighters. Bullies women. Shames US internationally. Flop of the show

at Glasgow. Nev

• Agree 1

When pronouncing Novak, the "v" immediate is pronounced after the "o"...

Today, when a BBC news presented was discussing France's ban on unvaccinated elite sportspeople attending French sports events, she mentioned Novak with a pause between the "o" and the "v", so it sounded like, "No Vacc Djokovic".

Simple things for simple minds, but it made me laugh (and wonder how I missed it for all this time!)

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I'm a bit slow to the party. I remember at one of the previous Australian Open matches, someone in the crowd was holding up a sign with 'Novak is GOAT' written on it. I thought it was detractors having a go at him, but have just learned it means 'Greatest Of All Time'.

Well, the Court has released its reasoning for its decision. The Court simply looked at the issue of the Minister's legal ability to cancel a visa. On that cold hard fact, the Court found that the Minister can do that. The Court was not asked to investigate the Minister's motives, which put it between a rock and a hard place. The Court's hands were well and truly cuffed by the grounds of the Appeal. 

Top 35 Quotes About Fine Print: Famous Quotes & Sayings About Fine Print

• Like 1
  • Agree 1