Merry Christmas Fellas!

Jerry_Atrick

45 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I don't think I'd survive an old fashioned Pub crawl these days, Bruce.  Nev

Speaking of pub crawls, there used to be a famous one in Toowoomba in S.E. Queensland. I don't know if they still do it, but if so it would be a lot easier these days as a lot of the old pubs have closed down. The main street, Ruthven Street used to have a lot of pubs. Toowoomba had about 52 pubs at one stage, so the main street would have had at least 30 or more of the total. There was an organised one where teams would start at the north end and try to get to the last pub at the southern end, having had a glass of beer in every pub, but I think that one involved running.

A lot of non organised pub crawl attempts of the main street were made having a 10oz beer in every pub. One bloke who had tried it told me of the hazards involved. By the time they'd had a single pot in a few pubs, it would be easy to get a bit pissed and relaxed and stop for a second one in a pub. So the next pub would be two or three and so on like compound interest. By the time they got halfway up the street, they were talking in shorthand and had lost the motivation to keep moving. Eventually things would grind to a halt and they would stop in one pub and get full as a boot. I don't know if anyone ever had the discipline to finish the street doing 10oz beers. As time went by, the number of pubs shrank in number so it was probably a lot more doable later on in history than it was in the 70's and 80's.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

42 minutes ago, red750 said:

The ones at the south end probably went out of business first.

Funnily enough, the pub at the very north and the one at the very south are still doing a good trade. A lot that closed were in the middle near the town centre. I guess the economics of it has changed with higher overheads and the changing demographic of drinkers.

Well, the big day is over. I hope you all had a good one, despite the weather,

I spoke to my brother and mother in Melbourne and it was grey and drizzly; which was nothing compared to what happened in QLD. I hope everyone on here had a good one and was not adversly affected by the weather.

This is the second year straight we had Christmas with just us and the now adult kids. Daughter is in her final year of secondary school and son is still trying to work out what he wants to do ( @octave - I may ask you to introduce him to your son one day - mine is embarking on writing his own game). I find such Christmases so much more relaxing than the stress of extended family around. We now have more food and booze than when they arrived! How much cheese can anyone eat???

In the evening, two couples who are closer friends from the village came around for card games, wine and cheese. We had a great time until about 1am, after which one couple had to leave as they were putting a Christmas lunch on today (boxing day) for one side of their family...

Today (boxing day), I replaced a noisy fan on my laptop and it is both quiet and running the internals cooler. The local repair shops wanted between £50 and £70; I bought the fan from Amazon for £15 and it took me half an hour.

Pressies were sparse this year, but thoughtful. I prefer it that way; so much crap from previous years have not even been opened and is destined for the local school fete.

All in all, another great Christmas. I hope yours was, too.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

My day was marked with a phone call at 6.30 am from my sis in law ,my younger brother Steven (72) died in his sleep, he was a quiet bloke liked by most , adored my 9 year old granddaughter sadly he was ill for the last 5 years aand had only been home a week from his last stint in hospital, he willbe missed we got on well. Vale Stephen George Lacey

• Sad 4