No bread

red750

45 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

Freezer works perfectly well on bread, if you want to keep it.

Normally make enough bread and rolls for a few weeks and freeze it, only eat it at breakfast time toasted. Some times when having soup for my meal, will toast some bread to eat with it, think it's a throw back from my youth, bread always went with soup.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dax said:

Normally make enough bread and rolls for a few weeks and freeze it, only eat it at breakfast time toasted. Some times when having soup for my meal, will toast some bread to eat with it, think it's a throw back from my youth, bread always went with soup.

When we make leek & potato soup for the kids, we often make garlic & parmesan toast to go with it - slices of sourdough lightly toasted, buttered, with mashed garlic and grated parmesan on top, then into the grill for a while.  Scrum-diddly-umptious.

Have a look at the packaging of shop bread. It has a list of ingredients, some of which I have never heard of, such as bread improver.

Real bread contains Flour, water, salt and yeast or sourdough starter.

To make your own you don't need a breadmaker, just use a bowl and a wooden spoon, plus your hands. You don't even need tins to bake it in.

There is only one down side to home baking. You get so used to the smell of good bread, that you no longer notice it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, Marty_d said:

When we make leek & potato soup for the kids, we often make garlic & parmesan toast to go with it - slices of sourdough lightly toasted, buttered, with mashed garlic and grated parmesan on top, then into the grill for a while.  Scrum-diddly-umptious.

Hey Marty, what night's leek and potato soup night? I'll be at the door barking to be let in!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Hey Marty, what night's leek and potato soup night? I'll be at the door barking to be let in!

Next time you come up to give me some aircraft wiring assistance, make sure it's at lunch time!

Mind you, the best seafood chowder on earth is served very close to your place.

Thank the good Lord we have someone like OME who knows what goes into true Cornish pasties!! I make my own, I utterly detest those commercial Cornish pasties full of corn and peas!! Who dreamt these abominations up?

But I must admit, I make my Cornish pasties using minced meat, onion, celery, carrot, parsnip and potato. Onion, celery and parsnip are the secret ingredients that ensure the full flavour of any cooked food.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2

Sorry, forgot yo mention the onions. And I make my own shortcrust pastry - cold ingredients for the pasties and hot water pastry for the porkies.  Also for the porkies I make my own gelatin from pigs trotters. 

Knowing how to make Cornish pasties is in my genes. My ancestors came from St Enoder in Cornwall. 

• Informative 1

Pork pie is one of only two things I miss from England. The other is fresh herrings.

I allso have made Cornish pasties and pork pies, but I just cannot get the pork pies to taste like a good UK one.

Shop bought they are all so=so, very variable. I had a really good meat pie in Peterborough SA, but the cornish pastie was very poor.

I have to admit, I can't understand the attraction of Eccles Cakes, especially by those from oop norf...

Although, admittedly, I have only tried ship bought ones.. but even in Lancaster, they were pretty ordinary..

But, I did have a yummy Lancashire Hotpot, which is basically beef stew layered with potatoes.

• Informative 1

My wife branched out today - she tried making sourdough bagels for the first time.

Bloody magnificent!  We had hot toasted fresh bagels with cream cheese for lunch.  Tasted far better than the ones you get at Coles.

Here they are on the bench, next to a loaf of sourdough fruit bread due to go in the oven at 2pm.

20210924_112424.jpg

• Like 3

The missus is in hospital and even the hospital dietician says that the meals are inedible. So I spent most of the day making spag bol, stew and a few other of the wife's favourites and putting them in containers so I can take them to her when I see her on Sunday. I've been given special permission to enter the hospital after nearly 60 days separation to see her. I had to jump through hoops to get through the front door. Make sure I had proof of two COVID vacs - my Medicare vaccination record hasn't been updated. Have a COVID test within 72 hours of entering the hospital, and I mean 72 hours since the swabbing. 72 hours and one second and the door closes. I'm just hoping that the result of the test I had this morning arrives before Sunday morning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1