Barnaby topples McCormack

red750

The ad man might be feeling a bit frustrated that it happened while he's locked in the Lodge in quarantine. He can't front the press in person to spin it. Scotty will be concentrating on what this means to his electoral chances now. He'd be worried that he's lost a lap dog and gained a bulldog chewing on his ankle. Albo would be pleased as Barnaby is a much bigger target than what'shisname.

• Like 1

They won't be rejoicing when the Nats lose a heap of votes because of the re-installation of this clown.

They reckon people have short memories, but I'll wager a lot of voters have long memories and they won't be supporting the Nats leadership decision, when it comes to election time.

The female contingent of the voting fraternity is largely most unhappy about this rabbit being put back into his former position, when the reasons for booting him in the first place, haven't gone away.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

They won't be rejoicing when the Nats lose a heap of votes because of the re-installation of this clown.

They reckon people have short memories, but I'll wager a lot of voters have long memories and they won't be supporting the Nats leadership decision, when it comes to election time.

The female contingent of the voting fraternity is largely most unhappy about this rabbit being put back into his former position, when the reasons for booting him in the first place, haven't gone away.

You'd hope that would be the case, but unfortunately I don't think it will be.

Their base is anyone involved in fossil fuel industries, hates Greens, or is more outraged about gay people having equal rights than the future of the planet.  The kind of people who vote for them are generally not concerned about women's rights - let's face it, the National Party is stuck in the 1950's.

I predict that they will see it as both their duty and god-given right to drag the Liberal party as far to the right as possible and destroy any action on climate change.  They'll end up being an anchor on the moderate forces in the Libs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Sadly Marty, I think you're on the money. There was a time in Aussie politics where the electorate would punish a government, or simply vote it out if it was there too long (and the other mob weren't that bad). But today, it appears that people will listen to anything that means they will perceive they will be able to afford another iphone or bigger tyred 4x4, and she'll be right, mate - let's not look further than our nose.. and, to be honest, I have these same conversations with people close to me... because while we are stuffing up our face, our nose still looks pretty darned good  (BTW, I can't talk.. I still have my ol' almost trusty XC90, but it is still in the mid band of rego, meeting emissions targets.. unlike the HSVs here which had you paying about £10K in the first three years...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Crikey has a good comment on it. Nev

This one?

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/06/22/deputy-pm-threatens-australian-agriculture-coal/

The only hope for this country is that the LNP get turfed next election, but having seen what the Australian public is like at the polls, I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

I find the hypocrisy of the LNP using "the Labor-Green threat" as a scare tactic incredible, given that they're handcuffed to the coal-loving Nats.

• Agree 1

Unfortunately, it is accurate - get the electorate to perceive they will even slightly worse off then they are now in the short term (and bugger the long term), and they will stay...

Of course, about, what, 80% of the electorate vote the same way every time come what may because that party is ideologically aligned with them. So, it's only 20% or so that one has to convince.

With any luck we will send ourselves broke following going backwards so people will be forced to change, rather than completely stuff up the world..

I had to re-read Phillip Adams’  glowing endorsement of Barnaby, where he called him “a man of his word” etc. 

Our favourite lefty wants everyone to remember all the moderate statements and promises Barnaby made while he was languishing on the back benches- in support of Julian Assange and the Tamil family dragged away from Biloela.

44 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I used to be a Labour voter, but the sheet they came up with, NO BLUDY WAY.

Tried desperately to fill that long vote paper in, but it was a forgone conclusion that most voters would fail that task.

spacesailor

What "sheet" in particular has led to your change in heart?

Just interested - as I thought they took a good package of well thought out policies to the last election.  So I'm still trying to figure out where they fell down.

I am sure Labor have done the research - well hope they have. I recall reading somewhere, maybe The Age, that apparently, the threat to negative gearing wasn't it. Was there also a threat to franking credits?

From what I recall, it was a personality thing.. Even John Howard made the remark that Shorten is taking things for granted, and although he commanded some sort of lead in the polls like Bob Hawke, "he is no Bob Hawke".  Or something like that. I got the feeling people just didn't trust Shorten or that he was too smug and thought he had it in the bag. I recall him in an interview some time after mentioning something similar.

Anyway, back to Barnaby:

The party DOES elect the leader. That is a fact and the party has policies  re affirmed at national conferences. (much better than the IPA and the big donors. doing it Rudd's concept of it was opportunistic. and after the event. (self interest) He was NOT a team player either. It's LABOR  not Labour. in Australia..  I am not a member of the Labor party. BTW.  Nev

I am in a National party electorate for federal and state, but I reckon that will change at the next federal election. Our useless member is not standing as he has enough trough time to retire. Our popular local city mayor is standing for labor and I reckon he will get in.

Labor don't impress, but Libs and Nats are both untrustworthy and incompetent. Oh for a few more independents, but the expense of running an election campaign is horrific.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2021 at 6:47 PM, Old Koreelah said:

Governments are like underwear: they need to be changed regularly…

and this particular Federal government is in great need of a clean-out.

I think Barnaby just caused some incontinence in the government Y-fronts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1