Hydrogen

Yenn

The Morris ISIS had a truck like SOHC motor with hollow internally threaded valve stems for adjustment An absolute bitch to work on as the camshaft was inserted from the end into non capped journals that were part of the head.

Nomadpete, The "small" six made in Australia  was also used in a Wolsely (Badge engineering)  They decreased the main bearing clearance and they weren't a bad car.

Engines of that era didn't do high miles before being reconditioned. That's an industry I worked in and is almost extinct now a days as engines last as long as the car and cars in real terms are much cheaper than they were.. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

A thousand pardons folks I think I've confused the ISIS six with the Morris six and wolsely 6-80 that preceded it. I think the ISIS is a pushrod motor and is also used in the Austin Healey 100 Six. It's definitely a MORRIS style motor. The Austins had the push rods on the same side as the ports are, restricting the breathing and requiring siamesed ports with "tamer" valve timing .. There's a book out called "Taming the Breed" that has a lot of useful information on supercharging of these MG (Morris Garage) engines. from the early 30's on and how they set world records in many classes.. Nev 

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, facthunter said:

A thousand pardons folks I think I've confused the ISIS six with the Morris six and wolsely 6-80 that preceded it. I think the ISIS is a pushrod motor and is also used in the Austin Healey 100 Six. It's definitely a MORRIS style motor. The Austins had the push rods on the same side as the ports are, restricting the breathing and requiring siamesed ports with "tamer" valve timing .. There's a book out called "Taming the Breed" that has a lot of useful information on supercharging of these MG (Morris Garage) engines. from the early 30's on and how they set world records in many classes.. Nev 

Yeah, we all picked up on that one... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I generally  put things here from memory because they are recollections of my experience not from a book which doesn't "stick" in your mind so much. . When you are working on these motors the only thing that concerns you is why in hell did they make the $@! thing so difficult to work on by designing it this fool way? I do have a "thing" about having the record straight. (You might have noticed). There's enough misinformation "out there" without me contributing to it. I don't under rate what others here know either, Marty. (You are very kind) Nev

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

The pages of history seldom value all those memories of which you speak.

All those details that caused us grief and frustration whilst we learnt the tricks of the trade for each product, are seldom considered important in the big picture of history.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

You're both correct. The earlier 1950's Wolseley was the 6/90, it became the 6/99 in Pommyland 1959 when the Farina-bodied version was released. Then it became the 6/110 in 1961.

The Wolseley 24/80 was purely an Australian vehicle, which was built by BMC Australia from 1962 to 1965. It couldn't compete with the onslaught of new models by Holden, Ford and Chrysler.

The Wolseley 6/80 (1948-54) and the 6/90 (1954-1959) were favourites of the Pommy coppers from after WW2 to the 1960's, in fact I believe they were the standard Metropolitan Police patrol car.

Like the Humbers, they reeked of walnut and leather, but their pricing was higher than any competitive Holden, Ford, or Valiant.

And you could get parts anywhere for a Holden or Ford - but not so, Pommy cars. Plus their interior designs were dated, and their gearing was slower - unless you ordered the O/D option.

Even today, these Pommy chariots are not really collectable, although they have their followers. One of the other faults of Pommy chariots was that they were generally awful to work on, for repairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley_6/99

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley_6/90#:~:text=The Wolseley 6%2F90 is,6%2F90 on the bootlid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley_4/50

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley_24/80

• Thanks 1

Thanks for refreshing my grey matter oneT.

I had a Austin Freeway (fitted with a four speed box) for years. Apart from regular stuff, it's only maintenance was front suspension bushes and a diff. It did get a lot of treatment.

And a Wolsley for a time. I recall it had the commonly used Borg Warner 35 auto and lovely comfy seats, walnut trim inside, and a HEATER!

• Like 2

Did they name their little six a Blue streak? A lot of returned soldiers would not touch Jap cars. Borg-Warner 35 auto wasn't a bad thing but the post war Bentleys used a GM auto and Delco Remy electrics and a Packard  like front end. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

Found on the interwebbything...

"Although it was introduced only recently, BMC's six cylinder Blue Streak engine has already proved its suitability for hotting-up. Much of this is due to it being the equivalent of one and a half B-series engines. And the B-series is as well established as any contemporary powerplant."

• Informative 1

Those Wolseleys with the lit up badge in the radiator were used by the London metropolitan police, that was before the days of sirens and they had bells mounted on the front.

All those old cars could be difficult to work on, but no more so than modern cars, the good thing is that modern cars need little work.

The first time I came across a Morris minor was when I did a top overhaul, or decoke for a friend. It was only two years old and when I did a test drive afterwards I was amazed by how much better it handled, compared to my Morris 8 series 2.

• Like 1

There was one using a version of the MG 4 cyl 1500 cc pushrod engine. in the MG the block was designated XPAG In the Wolsley it was XPAW.. The MG was called a Magnette. 4 door saloon. Quite nice bodies. Looked quality for the time. especially compared with many other offerings, .Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

The MG was called a Magnette. 4 door saloon. Quite nice bodies. Looked quality for the time. especially compared with many other offerings, .Nev

The question is... was it a chick Magnette?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1