Our revolving door

nomadpete

I se that Christian Porter has started a defamation case against the ABC.

He was not game to launch a defamation case against the people who brought up the case against him. I wonder why?

Wouldn't he want to clear his name and also stop anyone defaming him, or maybe he could not see a way clear to make the allegations go away if he brought them into court.

Something smells and it is not roses.

• Agree 2

Apparently, Aussie defamation laws are pretty tough against the media, from what I gather watching Media Watch. However, if they didn't name him until after it was in the public domain (and realitvely easily identified), and stuck to the facts, it is hard to see how he can succeed.. It's a case of watch this space, because even as a diversionary tactic, it would be quite damaging if he lost the case.

• Like 1

Oh. I'm sorry. we can whinge bitch and complain to our hearts content abount ScoMo and the LNP, but don't let anyone criticise or report anything negative about the Holy ALP. You will believe Brittany Higgins, but not ALP staffers. And the audacity of Shorten to get up on the Today program and have a shot at Morrison when his own sexual assault was swept under the carpet. People in glass houses.

I watched it all the way through.   To summaries he does not cast any doubt that we have a huge problem that we need to fix.   He has 2 main criticisms of yesterdays protest.    The first one is that the representatives of the protesters wanted to meet Morrison publicly but he was only will to meet privately so they declined his offer.  

The second criticism was that he believed the protest was politicized and was only against the coalition.

I  

As to the first, whether or not they should or have not met privately I guess is a matter of what they believe would be more useful. Perhaps past experience has suggested that it would be pointless.    Whatever the best way forward would have been it is hardly relevant and to my mind is just a way of distracting from the main point.

As for being political, after he made this point he went on a rant about problems within Labor.    I would suggest that women and men  who attended the protest do not by and large believe this is solely a liberal party problem.   He complained about politicization and then went of to further politicize.

Neither of these two criticisms detract from the main point and as far as I can see are more about saying "it is not just us, look over there at those people."     I was glad that he did not seem to question the fact that there is a problem.

I believe ALP staffers. If there was not any bad behaviour among the pollies and there staff I would be very surprised.

I believe Brittany Higgins, but I don't really know what I am believing. I have no idea who is supposed to have raped her. I don't think that has been divulged to the general public, which means I don't know who to tell my granddaughter to avoid.

There have been massive rallies around the country by women wanting change and an end to sexual molestation. All well and good, but what is the change to be. How can rapists be brought to trial, if the women don't speak up. I agree that it is bad for women, but I fail to see how I or anyone else can do anything about the situation without men being named.

There was one woman on TV last night at a rally and she said the situation was bad, but added that she didn't know why it carried on. She hit the nail on the head, we need those women to step forward to stop other women being molested.

If Christian Porter thinks that a defamation case against the ABC will solve his problems, I wonder what a case against the person who brought the whole thing into the public eye would do. I reckon he is not game to find out for fear of more coming into court than he can hide.

10 minutes ago, red750 said:

Oh. I'm sorry. we can whinge bitch and complain to our hearts content abount ScoMo and the LNP, but don't let anyone criticise or report anything negative about the Holy ALP. You will believe Brittany Higgins, but not ALP staffers. And the audacity of Shorten to get up on the Today program and have a shot at Morrison when his own sexual assault was swept under the carpet. People in glass houses.

It seems like this is about politics for you,  I cant speak for anyone else but to me it is not about political parties.     These problems are part of broader society.   Certainly no one I know believes that these problems only occur in one party.

'I was shocked and afraid': Women say Greens botched their sexual misconduct complaints

• Like 1

Octave, your post came up while I was writing my last offering.

Scomo will not do anything that could cast him in a bad light. He is expert at always turning around any question to cast the opposition in a bad light. He has only one aim in life and that is to be PM for as long as possible and to cosy up to anyone who will agree with him. I cannot see any desire from him to make life better or safer for women, only a quick, cheap retort to denigrate anyone who gets up his nose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, red750 said:

Red I’m sorry to have upset you; that was never my intention.

I am no fan of the ALP and have always been willing to look at the evidence, but the wrong people were delivering it.

Decades of being subjected to those particular commentators and their ilk has reduced my tolerance. 

Poor old Scotty FM. The fact is, he's just one of those blokes who only opens his mouth to change feet. No matter what he says, people will pick on him. Even when he means well and tells Mr. Speaker that we live in a wonderful democracy and don't shoot our protesters like our near neighbours, people are still up him. I don't know why they're whingeing about that. They had their protest and didn't get shot, so Scotty was right all along. Where would we all be without his wisdom, good judgement and marketing savvy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel I must take the issue of the proverbial elephant in the room.

All this Media hysteria about violence against women gets right up my nose.

I'm against violence. Full stop.

I've been a victim of violence on numerous occasions.

By WOMEN !

Nobody bothers to gather statistics about violence perpetrated by WOMEN.

I have experienced discrimation by demestic violence councillors, by colleagues, by the victims of crime group, when I have reported domestic violence by a woman.

After turning up at work with bruises, I've been ridiculed for allowing a female to assault me. There is no recognition that this is kind of assault is a problem, although turning up at work has resulted in quiet, hushed admissions by a number of colleagues that they (males) have experienced violence from the women in their lives. Never reported because of fear of ridicule. I believe this lack of acknowledgement leads to a higher rate of male suicide but nobody has made the connection.

It is discrimation to only treat one side of the problem.

I realise this has nothing to do with revolving doors, but somehow we got here.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

The problem is, you are made to feel that you caused the problem, and if you retaliate, then you are committing domestic violence. The worst kind is passive aggressive. Not actual physical violence, but turning on a strong light when you are trying to sleep in a darkened room, placing furniture in your bedroom doorway when you are asleep, throwing coffee in your face. There is no evidence to show, your word against theirs, and you know who will be believed. They say women make great archeologists, because they are always digging up ancient history. Constantly berating you for things that happened many years ago.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

I feel I must take the issue of the proverbial elephant in the room.

All this Media hysteria about violence against women gets right up my nose.

I'm against violence. Full stop.

I've been a victim of violence on numerous occasions.

By WOMEN !

Nobody bothers to gather statistics about violence perpetrated by WOMEN...

I hear you, NP. I totally support these women, but they must also acknowledge the “rats in their own ranks”.

The worst injuries I have suffered were deliberately inflicted by a pair of women who were in positions of power over me.

Those wounds were psychological, but more real and caused much more lasting pain than the many physical injuries I copped over decades of farming, tree-felling, building, motorcycle racing, etc.

• Agree 1

At the risk of trivialising the point about violence by women (and men), flirting and teasing behaviour by individual or groups of teenage girls toward shy and awkward boys can be devestatng and the confusion that results must play a part In some of the behaviour that women are now complaining about. It must also be a cause of the incel extremists behaviour. Both sides need to accept responsibility. But if I said that in most public forums I would be howled down. What is more, I have no expectation that it will ever change because it is built into the human psyche. 

• Agree 2

So true. From a more general behavioural perspective, all mammals have hardwired instincts to breed and to compete to breed. Maybe it might help the sexual assault problem and the violence issue, if our youth (male and female) got taught that these instincts are within us all. Acknowledgement of instincts is the first step towards cognitive control of one's behaviour.

The more difficult cases are usually related to mental health issues.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

...flirting and teasing behaviour by individual or groups of teenage girls toward shy and awkward boys can be devestatng...

So true, PM. Ours is a cruel species. I have seen the cruelty of little kids. I was recently sent a few class photos of my primary school days and immediately picked out a nice little girl who lived in utter poverty and often got head lice. As a result her head was shaved. The treatment she received from the other kids was merciless and I have no doubt her whole life was badly affected. Did she ever achieve her potential? Did she have a fulfilling life?

I bet many violent criminals blame their faults on schoolyard experiences, as do many sex offenders.

What to do about it? How far should we go in protecting our kids from this crap? We want them to grow up resilient and happy. We also want to reduce the huge cost of tracking down, prosecuting and locking up criminals- often our most damaged people. The current campaign against mistreatment of women might pay huge dividends in future productivity improvements.

• Agree 1

One of the most insidious forms of passive aggressive abuse is the "withholding of privileges" for an extended period. They say women have needs too. Some don't. A man takes a pledge to keep only to one partner, and is then denied the inferred privileges. If he takes any steps to meet his needs, he is committing sexual assault or rape. If he seeks release elsewhere, he is a cheat and a scumbag, or a pervert. If the definition of a sexless marriage is one where sex takes place less than 6 times a year,  what do you call zero times a year for more than 15 years?

7 minutes ago, red750 said:

If he takes any steps to meet his needs, he is committing sexual assault or rape.

Sounds reasonable to me. Sometimes.   Sometimes I fancy it  and she doesn't and sometimes it is the other way around but neither of us would force ourselves on each other.   I guess I think sex is a privilege not a right.  Apart from that there is nothing less arousing than having sex with someone how is not enjoying it.  Also good technique is a bit of a winner.  There are many options for those who are dissatisfied with their marital sex life, some people get divorced, some get counselling, some have secret affairs and some pay for it.  All of these options in my opinion are better than forcing yourself on someone. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2