China hits with the "ol' one-two"

old man emu

Thanks guys, lots of useful stuff I didn't know. It is true that my usage of tools ( and other stuff ) is much lighter than industrial use. In fact I have 3 lots of tools...  at the farm, at the hangar and at the workshop at home.  I like tools, but  could not have managed this without the Chinese prices.

I sure agree about spare parts. On the Chinese tractor, I damaged a hydraulic hose and found to my surprise that the hoses are non-standard.

But I did get the right hose eventually, and the tractor ( light use I admit ) is going strong after about 5 years now.

Here's a true story about cars ( non-Chinese) but it shows how you can make a mistake by assuming that more expensive = better.

Many years ago, on the same week, a workmate and I bought new sedan cars. Leyland had just gone broke, so I rushed down and bought a new P76 for $2400. ( Small straight 6, bucket leather seats, 4 on the floor). The other guy bought a new Volvo for $7600. ( about 1974 ).

Well the Volvo had a soft camshaft, but it took the dealer months to find this and that Volvo was often away on warranty. The P76, on the other hand, did 600,000 km with hardly a problem. And the poor Volvo guy had me making fun of him, well I did get tired of this after some years.

• Like 3

The second hand value of Chinese and other doubtful quality stuff is a good indicator. The MARKET works these things out. IF they are cheap second hand it's a bad sign  Who really knows what OEM stuff is from China. MAHLE pistons are made in China and a lot of US brand stuff and  Japanese as well. . The higher performance stuff is where the quality control counts most. Any reduction of material spec or fit and finish and they fail. Many alloy  and structural steels won't meet spec. Metallurgical steel so called has less impurities which can appear in the final steel analysis.  Tools are made of highly polished chromed hoop iron. Rubbish. Nev

I have found that wherever you go in the world, you will meet really nice people, but their politicians make their countries look far worse. Not only politicians, but anyone with a bit of power.

In the case of Australia anyone visiting would probably go away with fond memories of meeting friendly, helpful people and go back home to read about Aussie politicians, bad mouthing their country and making co existence difficult.

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

I said long ago that China hits us with the old one-two. Well, it seems that China has given itself an uppercut. According to the content of this video, China's internal economy is imploding in the same way that the US economy imploded to cause the Global Financial Crisis of 2007 -2009. During the GFC, a downturn in the US housing market was a catalyst for a financial crisis that spread from the United States to the rest of the world through linkages in the global financial system. The same thing, or worse is happening in China as housing developers begin to default on their trillions of dollars of debt, and the Government imposes ultra-strict economic rules.

Here's something on the causes of the GFC: https://www.rba.gov.au/education/resources/explainers/the-global-financial-crisis.html#:~:text=The catalysts for the GFC,built houses in some areas.

7 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Do the Indians make cheap cpu chips, lithium batteries, and solar panels?

Not yet, but wait, there's more....

6 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

(There was a touch of sarcasm in my FTA comment).,..

I wouldn't have thought it.

• Like 2

Well aware, Jerry.

My deeply hidden sarcasm came from the fact that India is more likely than shortsighted Australia to value add to the available raw resources. And India is more likely to use their initiative than us.

Sorry, I get too oobscure

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 2