The Trump Presidency - an analysis

old man emu

I am still trying to fathom how one man, especially Trump, can have such an impact on the public...

The meme is sad.... I know America has its problems.. more so than many others of such wealth and prospertiy... But I have lived there and I immensley like Americans on the whole (those not on holiday abroad ;-))

It is a sad day....

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Agree 1

It's wonderful news that the Democrats got both senate seats in Georgia.

At least that means that they'll be able to undo some of the damage that idiot did for the next two years, while they hold the power in all 3 arms of government.  If they can get the covid numbers trending downwards they'll get a natural uptick in the economy which will give them more ammunition against the conservatives.

Of course that's the rose-tinted glasses view, no matter how good their intentions they'll probably foul it up somehow...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Comparing the USA political situation of 2021 with that of 1861, I can't see another civil war being fought in our time as it was in 1861. For a start, the strength of arms is well and truly on the Federal Government's side. Secondly, the cause of dispute is not related to economic activity, so the Rich aren't interested. It even appears that the traditional White/Black racism isn't involved.

I can't see any group of States seceding from the Union simply on the basis of a two-party election. The political fight will go on between the Reds and the Blues, but the referees will call it a draw eventually. Yes, there will be riots and deaths (as we saw today) and there will be assassinations, but apart from the leader of one side, Biden, can you name a leader of the other side?

• Agree 1

Has he got the hutzpah to pull the Republicans together to develop a political platform that is acceptable to the Blues and Reds? 

He'll be 76 or so by the next election. Is that too old for a President in the 21st Century? We'll see with Joe who is 78 at the moment.

You can't tell me that you need to be an Old Age Pensioner to be a President. Where's the young bloods?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I am still trying to fathom how one man, especially Trump, can have such an impact on the public...

The meme is sad.... I know America has its problems.. more so than many others of such wealth and prospertiy... But I have lived there and I immensley like Americans on the whole (those not on holiday abroad ;-))

It is a sad day....

Hitler did it and look what happened. He was even jailed in the 30s & Trump should now be stripped of his office & convicted of sedition. It probably won't happen and this would inflame and embolden his hard core base of rusted on conspiracist nutters. It was good to see the penny finally dropping from some of the far right members of the senate like Lindsay Graham & Pence finally removed his brown nose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Lindsay Graham is a slithering snake... and although that would have certainly knocked me for a six, when the heat got too hot for him, he showed he is worse than BoJo - will bend harder and take a good ol rogering if it means he can progress...

The democratsare threatening to impeachTrump again if Pence and the Cabinet don't invoke Amendment 23 (or is it 27).. That i folly on two counts.. Firstly, even if they do decide to pull Amendment 2x, if they don't get 2/3 majority of both houses, then it fails... and I seriously doubt they will get that.. The second is, it doesn't bar Trump from running again.. An impeachment bars him for life from taking any public office... I know what I would go for.. they now have the numbers...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

An impeachment bars him for life from taking any public office... I know what I would go for.. they now have the numbers...

They only have 12 days in which to impeach him. Not enough time for the procedure, me thinks. 

It sounds like a cop out, but they only have to put up with him for 12 days and he's gone. I doubt that any of the military would snap to and immediately obey any warlike order he gave. The same for bureaucrats. They have made an art of procrastination.

• Agree 1

I believe I read that a president can be impeached after they have left office. Just trying to find a reference to this. In which case if successfully impeached they are then barred from standing again in the future.

Edited by octave
  • Informative 1

It must have been obvious to the Republicans that Trump was not going quietly and would cause all sorts of problems, but they hoped that they could control him and keep him quiet. Not a chance, now they are realising that they should have got rid of him earlier. He is going to break up the Republicans int two camps and the democrats will not have any idea how to neutralise him. Maybe the word should not be neutralise.

Will the republicans act now? I doubt it, they will sit on their thumbs, hoping it all goes away.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, octave said:

I think prosecution may be more appropriate than impeachment.

Normally, I would agree with you.. However, he will probably issue himself a pre-emptive pardon and his actions with respect to office come under federal jurisdiction. While it is not certain a president can issue a self-pardon, it is far from settled at law. The constitutional text does not preclude it; it is a doctrine of law (jurisprudence) that is believed to prevent it; thatbeing one cannot sit in judgement of themselves. However, a pardon is not in itself a judgement, so there is a chance that if he issues a pardon and it is challenged in the supreme court, then they may uphold it.

An impeachment may also achieve the result required with less loonies taking to the streets.. A prosecution would be more dangerous.