Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

I just spent 3 days in the "Top End", what an awesome place although a bit barren. Beautiful clear blue skies, amazing landscapes and the friendliest people one could hope to meet, but it was -8 to -14 everyday!

Qahar Youyi Qianqi, Inner Mongola. I have now seen my first frozen river and frozen lake too! 113.2, 40.8

...you mean THAT Top End! Even jetting there direct from Chengdu should take more than a couple of hours.

Nope I work in operations and not in construction. My job will exist for another 25 years. But thank you for your concern.

I assume your company is one of these, not looking good for CSG industry if OPEC keeps trying to kill it.

Very difficult to refinance loans if your company is projected to lose most of its equity in 2015, no one wants to ending holding debt in that sort of company.

spacer.png

The problem with "obeying the laws of physics" is that the laws of physics do not have moral facets.One of the Ten Commandments says that no one should steal. What do the laws of physics say about stealing? Nothing ...unless you consider being 'light-fingered' a transgression of the Law of Gravity.

Another of the Ten Commandments says that no one should commit adultery. What do the laws of physics say about running off with someone else's wife? Nothing ...unless you consider being attracted to another man's wife a transgression of the Laws of Electric Charges.

Perhaps I should have said the Laws of Science thereby including the Theory of Evolution. Successful social groups have been so because of what I would normally "ethics" but in evolutionary terms it might be explained as fooling around with somebody else's wife is liable to get you taken out of the gene pool in an ugly fashion. Similarly, if you don't want people to mess with your stuff, not messing with theirs is a smart start point.

My personal theory is that these ethics have become hard wired and it explains why most people in the world are pretty decent. The few that make things ugly for everyone else are acting counter to their nature or their wiring was defective from birth or has been tampered with psychologically, physically or chemically.

To cut the crap for a moment, my love of ethics has no conscious connection with evolution theory or group dynamics. Ethical behaviour to me feels good and makes a lot of sense even if others around you act unethically. Take tax fraud for example. I have made it a lifelong practice to never cheat on my tax return but many, many do. Plenty even boast about it.

Of the 613 commandments, you only mention two. Admittedly most of the 613 don't bear repeating in the third millennium CE. Here's how I rate the famous ten (as I recall them):

1. I am the LORD thy God Thou shalt have no other gods etc.

- A vain god who is afraid of being supplanted

2 Do Not take the LORD's name in vain

- more vanity

3 Remember the sabbath day - keep holy

- more vanity

4 Honour thy father and thy mother

- Worthwhile as long as they deserve honour - mine certainly did but plenty deserve gaol terms for what they do and don't do for their kids. Have a look through the Dept of Community Services files one day.

5 Thou shalt not kill

- basic common sense - what society exists comfortably where murder is not an issue?

6 Thou shalt not commit adultery

- Depends what you call adultery. To paraphrase the weatherman 'tis a bad shag indeed that does nobody any good.

7 Thou shalt not steal

- basic common sense see 5 above

8 Thou shalt not bear false witness

9 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife

- This is a subset of 6. Coveting could lead to breaching 6, 8 and even 5 and, depending on who lives next door, 4.

10 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods

- This is a subset of 7

Don, you're the funniest atheist I've ever come across.

Thanks Turbs, I do try to amuse.

You quote the Bible so often that I've started to hesitate, waiting for you to say, at the end of your sermons, "Let us pray"

What can I say, I spent a lot of my misspent youth in the study of religious doctrine. Seems a shame not to use the knowledge I gained to good effect.

You weaken your argument bringing in tooth fairies, abominable snowmen, Easter bunnies, Thor and Oden, or even Zeus, but I suppose everyone is entitled to his own collection.

See, I don't just don't think your God is any less of a myth than all the other Gods. I can't discriminate. The one invisible, mythical person I *know* existed was my younger sister's invisible friend. I often heard her talking to him.

Being a good Believer, I have no objection whatsoever if you live your life obeying the laws of physics, although I suspect mankind hasn't finished writing those laws yet.

Thanks Turbs and you are right about not all written yet and a few may even get rewritten in my lifetime.

As for the thetan's, I didn't watch that show.

Tom Cruise and John Travolta are offended by that remark!

Which all gets us back to the fact that you never answer my arguments you just dismiss them out of hand because I'm quoting a document that you know I don't accept as credible. Point is, some people on here find it not just credible but factual. Even you hint that it may contain some historical fact. So, by your own sources stand and deliver.

...you mean THAT Top End! Even jetting there direct from Chengdu should take more than a couple of hours.

Chengdu to Hohhot is about 2 hours, I went there on Saturday and returned last night spacer.png

[ATTACH]47518._xfImport[/ATTACH]

There's the frozen lake in the distance, it's all flat on the side of the frozen lake I was on so couldn't get height to take a decent shot of it and didn't get down to the edge either due to time constraints (was a working trip). The blue sky and sunshine belies the -8 temps!

[ATTACH]47519._xfImport[/ATTACH]

and in town, drive like donkeys they do ...

[ATTACH]47520._xfImport[/ATTACH]

photo.JPG.548b9c30b3b2ac198ea123f49593e664.JPG

1646581147_photo1.thumb.JPG.5db386198d3f06ddd182331bb1fb59a9.JPG

2128558604_photo2.thumb.JPG.230f059fc0c02c1ce8d8cb218b9620aa.JPG

I assume your company is one of these, not looking good for CSG industry if OPEC keeps trying to kill it.Very difficult to refinance loans if your company is projected to lose most of its equity in 2015, no one wants to ending holding debt in that sort of company.

spacer.png

Gas is a lot cleaner than oil, OPEC have had it their own way for too long and they can stick it. We ( as in where I work ) already supplies gas to the domestic market. We will be fine mate. We have multi year contracts in place and are actually trying to keep a lot of our gas in the ground because it will be worth more in a couple of years time because of the contract price.

OPEC is worried because the americans are coming self reliant with both CSG and more to the point oil and Shale oil.

Maybe we will actually pay for oil (fuel) for what it is actually only worth and not get bent over a barrel like we are now.

Mining and export of bauxite continues, but it now bypasses the refinery, which has been closed.

Speaking of which, anyone got a line on Nickel ore?

The reason I was in Inner Mongolia was to do with a new nickel extraction plant opening in 2015 and they asked me about Oz nickel ore availability but it's not something I know about ... then they mentioned money, that I know about! Apperently their previous plant was buying from Indonesia with just over 1% purity.

If you look hard you can see this is religious humour even if not too much to do with aviation.

I theorize that God will never punish us by destroying the Earth with a giant earthquake because the safest place to be during an earthquake is in a doorway - he knows that he'll be left with all the Joho Witnesses.

Perhaps I should have said the Laws of Science thereby including the Theory of Evolution. Successful social groups have been so because of what I would normally "ethics" but in evolutionary terms it might be explained as fooling around with somebody else's wife is liable to get you taken out of the gene pool in an ugly fashion. Similarly, if you don't want people to mess with your stuff, not messing with theirs is a smart start point.

My personal theory is that these ethics have become hard wired and it explains why most people in the world are pretty decent. The few that make things ugly for everyone else are acting counter to their nature or their wiring was defective from birth or has been tampered with psychologically, physically or chemically.

To cut the crap for a moment, my love of ethics has no conscious connection with evolution theory or group dynamics. Ethical behaviour to me feels good and makes a lot of sense even if others around you act unethically. Take tax fraud for example. I have made it a lifelong practice to never cheat on my tax return but many, many do. Plenty even boast about it.

Of the 613 commandments, you only mention two. Admittedly most of the 613 don't bear repeating in the third millennium CE. Here's how I rate the famous ten (as I recall them):

1. I am the LORD thy God Thou shalt have no other gods etc.

- A vain god who is afraid of being supplanted

2 Do Not take the LORD's name in vain

- more vanity

3 Remember the sabbath day - keep holy

- more vanity

4 Honour thy father and thy mother

- Worthwhile as long as they deserve honour - mine certainly did but plenty deserve gaol terms for what they do and don't do for their kids. Have a look through the Dept of Community Services files one day.

5 Thou shalt not kill

- basic common sense - what society exists comfortably where murder is not an issue?

6 Thou shalt not commit adultery

- Depends what you call adultery. To paraphrase the weatherman 'tis a bad shag indeed that does nobody any good.

7 Thou shalt not steal

8 Thou shalt not bear false witness

9 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife

- This is a subset of 6. Coveting could lead to breaching 6, 8 and even 5 and, depending on who lives next door, 4.

10 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods

- This is a subset of 7

If everyone in society subscribed to these and adhered to them, the country would be a better place to live.

Speaking of which, anyone got a line on Nickel ore?

The reason I was in Inner Mongolia was to do with a new nickel extraction plant opening in 2015 and they asked me about Oz nickel ore availability but it's not something I know about ... then they mentioned money, that I know about! Apperently their previous plant was buying from Indonesia with just over 1% purity.

There are nickel smelters/refineries at Kambalda and Townsville, near existing nickel deposits. Their problem is not enough local feed, so it is unlikely anyone with nickel ore would ship it out of Oz.

Yeah well just don't try to build a tower to get there or you'll find yourself talking in a new tongue.

Funny, apparently god knocked down the tower of Babel and made everyone speak different languages because mankind was going to build a tower to heaven.

However these days, astronauts visited the moon and came back still speaking the language they left with. Strange! Almost as if these stories are... hmmm... bullsh*t...

Funny, apparently god knocked down the tower of Babel and made everyone speak different languages because mankind was going to build a tower to heaven.However these days, astronauts visited the moon and came back still speaking the language they left with. Strange! Almost as if these stories are... hmmm... bullsh*t...

Not only that Marty. The higher we build (be it towers, cities, planes or rockets) the more we speak the same language.

In order to prove once & for all that there is a GOD UPSTAIRS & a DEVIL DOWNSTAIRS, this true incident occurred some years ago: I was taking a Minister of Religion from A -B in my Comanche so as to conduct a funeral service for a dearly departed person who had fallen off the perch.

As we were flying along in Cavok calm conditions at about 8500' suddenly the Minister unexpectadly told me that this was the first occasion he had flown in a light aircraft & furthermore he felt closer to GOD up here.

I replied to the Minister as follows: If the prop in the front were to suddenly stop, you would instantly wish you were closer to the Devil downstairs on terra firma, the more firma the less terra.