Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

I do feel sorry for Julia. Australia's first female PM, she had to deal with a hung parliament, the tags of "Ju-LIAR", "barren", "back-stabber" and all the rest of it, that yapping dog of an opposition leader (now the whimpering cur of a PM), and all the while put through a huge amount of legislation including her magnum opus, the NDIS. Meanwhile the media concentrated on her hair rather than her policies.

I'm sure history will treat her much more kindly than the rabid conservative shock-jocks, Murdoch media and politicians of the time.

...that yapping dog of an opposition leader (now the whimpering cur of a PM)...

...who cannot blame anyone else for his failures. He could have been PM three years earlier, but his arrogant, abrasive manner put key people off side. Julia left him in the dust and he never got over it.

If the plebs didn't block every single thing the elected government does, it would be OK.

This is democracy. The plebs were elected too.

Look at some of the things that have been blocked. Freeing up financial advisers so they don't have to act in the best interests of their clients? Glad it's blocked. Charging poor people $7 to see a doctor? Glad that's blocked too. Deregulating universities so only the rich will be able to afford them? Glad that's blocked. In fact as most of the policies this rabble seem to come up with concentrate on screwing the bottom half while sucking up to the big end of town (don't get too excited by that analogy), I hope they keep getting blocked until Abbott mans up and calls a double dissolution, which won't happen because he knows he's on the nose.

In one way it's very funny. After spending the last 6 years berating Labor for changing leaders, this crowd are stuck with an unpopular leader because they dare not get rid of him. The best thing Abbott could do is resign his position and p*ss off to the back bench, but what's the odds of that happening.

If the plebs didn't block every single thing the elected government does, it would be OK.

and what did Dear Leader Kim Il Abbott spend his entire time in opposition doing, I wonder. Do ya think he was tagged Dr. No for the very reason you mention?????? ahhh I can hear the chickens coming home to roost already.

Don't expect too much. Plebs is pretty controversial word in the UK at the moment, bythe way A lot here (Australia)suffer from INFORMATION DEPRIVATION syndrome courtesy of the near monopoly Murdoch press who only like people in power who do what HE wants. Nev

Why is "plebs" a controversial word in the UK?

I took Dazza to mean "plebs" as an analogy for the Senate, as in Roman times the Plebian Assembly could veto a law passed by the Senate. All a Tribune of the Plebs had to do was stand up and say "I veto" and that would be it. Of course, he might get a sword in the back for doing so, and most of them were bribed by the aristocrats in the Senate anyway, so it probably wasn't as democratic as it sounds.

I did qualify the bit you quote. by saying "pretty controversial" and "at the moment'. Allegedly a policeman at 10 Downing St, was called this by a Polly and it's had some serious consequences..

The term "pleb" has been a very demeaning word with the Brits for yonks. What it meant in Roman times is of historical significance only.. Nev

I just googled it. The sentence of 12 months imprisonment for one of the coppers who lied seems a bit harsh, hope there were other factors in play.

Nope - just the fact that he was apolice officer and therefore the lie was in the course of perverting the course of justice. The UK have a good history of taking lies from officials or from the witness box seriously - demostrably lie under oath on the stand and you can be up for perverting the course of Justice - check out former UK politicians and speeding fines.

Nope - just the fact that he was apolice officer and therefore the lie was in the course of perverting the course of justice. The UK have a good history of taking lies from officials or from the witness box seriously - demostrably lie under oath on the stand and you can be up for perverting the course of Justice - check out former UK politicians and speeding fines.

Part of the Wiki summary of events says:

• on 26 February 2014 Keith Wallis was dismissed for his criminal conduct this matter and undisclosed business interests

Wonder if the "undisclosed business interests" had anything to do with the sentence?

QUOTE " Charging poor people $7 to see a doctor? Glad that's blocked too "........................ That's really funny for in Holland you pay 8 Euro extra at the Pharmacy for the explanation of how to use the prescription...I thought that 7 bucks (extra) was a bargain. My "co-payment" these days is $37 what's another $7 on top?

QUOTE " Charging poor people $7 to see a doctor? Glad that's blocked too "........................ That's really funny for in Holland you pay 8 Euro extra at the Pharmacy for the explanation of how to use the prescription...I thought that 7 bucks (extra) was a bargain. My "co-payment" these days is $37 what's another $7 on top?

May not be much for you or me, but if you're on Newstart spending over half your dole on rent alone, then you get sick and have to go to the doctor - $7 - then you need an X-ray and blood test - another $14... then a return visit the next week - $7 - so that's up to $28 already. How many people will choose not to go to the doctor, get worse, then need hospitalisation which costs the taxpayer far more? Typical short-sighted policy with no regard for consequence.

Because some of the people are very poor and the $7 isn't the end of it. It DETERS people going to the doctor (They even want that result) and may result in increased costs in the long term. It doesn't alter the budget. It specifically goes to a future research fund. Does that make sense? Nev

[quote="then you get sick and have to go to the doctor - $7 - then you need an X-ray and blood test - another $14... then a return visit the next week - $7 -" ............................... Yes, I see ......it maybe to much of a burden, but were there not safeguards as to the maximum payable, and exemptions for some? I'm just saying that "Some Places" do it a lot tougher than here.....

So we want to be the same as them? This country used to have a sense of a fair go. Not make the recovery the burden of the people who already are in difficulty. It's a mean spirited budget motivated by dogmatism,and shown to be. It's not just Labor in the Senate opposing it. Nev