State of Origin

planedriver

this state against state game is just that a GAME lets not read into too much ,it will not change the way the world runs , or feed starving people , or stop wars,stop terrorists(in the way my asic card does) its just a GAME ,its for fun (flying is more fun)

state of origin who really cares

Guest Andys@coffs

cant help but wonder if that talks to the depth of thought available for the average people to think within......How can this possibly be important when NSW is going through ICAC showing that our political process is a complete farce where the right decision for the people is merely the decision that provides the greatest source of $ to fight the next election, and at the same time the QLD gov is legislating as fast as it can to stop their equivalent looking under QLD rocks for the same B/S....

Our political process must be seen to be fair and crap like ability to "buy influence in excess of that owed by nature of being a voter must be constantly investigated and constantly smothered where ever found...... I wish we gave a fixed amount of public money to each party and donations or sources of other funding was outlawed and audited vigorously, but there are too many powerful people that end up with the money (media moguls) that will oppose any such changes.....

but if thinking on that stresses brain cells the ....<insert completely inane thing that earns commercial $ by the bucket load> to take your mind of the painful things

Andy

I can't understand why a match can turn normally rational people into primitives with nothing but tribal instincts to rubbish the obvious talent of players from ( Victoria, or put your state HERE)It's all about money these days. I can't be bothered getting worked up about it. I do love beating the POMS at cricket though, cause they think we are colonial felons, and they sing Rule Brittania. Isn't that funny? Nev

Guest Andys@coffs
:doh:Seriously Andy do we need another off topic political conversation?spacer.png

No we don't....I'm just always amazed at the passion and in some cases violence that folk are prepared to provide in support of their teams (all sports codes not just league) ......such a shame when that passion could be focused on things that are important........guess the issue is what is important and who decides.......

I got a good laugh out of SoO yesterday. On the phone to a friend I mentioned that Queensland was licking wounds today and my football-disinterested friend Stu in Vic didn't understand the comment. Once I'd explained he simply said "dogs chase balls, put your running shoes on and mention that to your footy mates, hehe"

I can't understand why a match can turn normally rational people into primitives with nothing but tribal instincts to rubbish the obvious talent of players from ( Victoria, or put your state HERE)

Interestingly, when I first moved to Melbourne and fronted up for a job interview, the second question I was asked was which (AFL) team I barracked for. I blustered my way through by explaining that I came from Queensland and didn't really understand AFL so didn't follow a team. Apparently that was an acceptable answer, but if I had said Collingwood, I would have been unlikely to get the job!

I was listening to the radio today, it rated 54% in Sydney and 51% in Brisbane, so more than half the population would disagree with us.

And the others watched it at the pub, apart from the fellas above that is

• 2 years later...

AFL. Thats the sport that Victorians spend the first 3 days of the week telling each other what a wonderful job such and such a team did at the game or explaining what their team should have done. Then for the next three days explaining what a wonderful job their team will do at the game. Then on the big day I have no idea what they talk about as the previous six days have driven me to go to NSW for a real game.

• 3 years later...

I have quoted almost every post here so far, so beware...

Being from Melbourne, even though living in England, mainly Richmond next to Twickenham (and could see the stadium from my old flat's balcony), and talking my son to play it, I never actually worked out the game.. They say Aussie Rules has no rules, but Union only has bureacracy from what I (and most people who watched it) could work out...

Anyway, State of Origins were the best and I miss them for AFL. They were the games where the players played with most passion, because, as the late and great Ted Whitten said, "They play for the jumper, not the money!". The AFL canned them for whastever reason, but I think it was  really because they were a better drawcard than the home and away games. Thankfully, I can still watch AFL games here.. as many as I like and as often as I like.. Annoys the family thought...

On 29/05/2014 at 9:03 AM, billwoodmason said:

Who gives a rats toss anyway ??.Got no idea why it is televised in the south when no one cares about it.

I returned to Aus in 2003 with my English partner. We started in Bendigo and she was looking forward to being able to see the Rugby World Cup live at a reasonable hour. She didn't believe me when I said she would be lucky to see it at all. She was mortified when during the day, there was the odd advertisement that explained a single rule (different rules for different ads) and that was it.. and that no-one in Bendigo could give a toss (and qyuiote a few didn't even know it was on).. Of course, without explaining all of the rules in logical sequence or context, no-one really got the game, anyway. I think every evening at about 10pm there were a couple of higlights - bit like Match of the Day. She finally realised that I was telling her the truth. Apparently, the RFU threatened channel 7 with pulling the rights if they did not bradcast live games to Melbourne and regional Victorial (and presumanly, SA, WA, Tas, etc).. So we got a couple of finals... and the ultimate final. Of course, she tried rubbing in the Wallabies loss, but it really didn't mean anything to me. "But you're from Australia" she exclaimed... "So, do you care how England does at Snooker?" She got it.

On 29/05/2014 at 9:04 AM, Guest Andys@coffs said:

cant help but wonder if that talks to the depth of thought available for the average people to think within......How can this possibly be important when NSW is going through ICAC showing that our political process is a complete farce where the right decision for the people is merely the decision that provides the greatest source of $ to fight the next election, and at the same time the QLD gov is legislating as fast as it can to stop their equivalent looking under QLD rocks for the same B/S....

Our political process must be seen to be fair and crap like ability to "buy influence in excess of that owed by nature of being a voter must be constantly investigated and constantly smothered where ever found...... I wish we gave a fixed amount of public money to each party and donations or sources of other funding was outlawed and audited vigorously, but there are too many powerful people that end up with the money (media moguls) that will oppose any such changes.....

but if thinking on that stresses brain cells the ....<insert completely inane thing that earns commercial $ by the bucket load> to take your mind of the painful things

Andy

There are many things to wonder - like why are some talentless people who show off their booty on Instagram making millions while real heroes barely rate any appreciation...

On 29/05/2014 at 9:13 AM, facthunter said:

I can't understand why a match can turn normally rational people into primitives with nothing but tribal instincts to rubbish the obvious talent of players from ( Victoria, or put your state HERE)It's all about money these days. I can't be bothered getting worked up about it. I do love beating the POMS at cricket though, cause they think we are colonial felons, and they sing Rule Brittania. Isn't that funny? Nev

Robertr WInston did a TV documentary on the very subject.. Apparenly, we are hard wired that way.. I can't recall the gist of it... but basically it is to support our tribe and ensure we are not conquered or eaten for lunch.. Also, I have to be honest... While I live here, I support England in the rigby (after all, I *am* from Melbourne and it *is* a Sydney Sport 😄); and I also support England in Soccer (well, let's get real, it isn't exactly Australia's national sport even though it is the most played at the junior level).. But I can't support England at cricket...

On 29/05/2014 at 9:16 AM, Guest Andys@coffs said:

No we don't....I'm just always amazed at the passion and in some cases violence that folk are prepared to provide in support of their teams (all sports codes not just league) ......such a shame when that passion could be focused on things that are important........guess the issue is what is important and who decides.......

When I first came to the UK, I was shocked at the violence at even lower league soccer games I went to. As someone who went to a lot of Aussie rules games, both in the social club and on the outer, rarely saw arguments (except amongst the saints fans), let alone violence and I used to hold Aussie Rules up as a beacon of a great family oriented sports model. Alas, that seems to have changed latey and I noticed even when I returned in 2003 after originally leaving in 1996, it seemed to become more of a religion than it was - I blame this a bit on pay TV and there are now shows virtually 24/7 on both free to air and pay TV... even I got sick of it in the end.

On 29/05/2014 at 9:19 AM, facthunter said:

At least in Australia a good shot is clapped regardless of where the player is from. In some places someone other than their person gets booed regardless. (Most times) Nev

In cricket yes.. used to be that way in AFL (although you would clap quieter).. Not anymore.. Lots of booing which is un-Australian and uncalled for. 

On 30/05/2014 at 2:13 AM, Bandit12 said:

Interestingly, when I first moved to Melbourne and fronted up for a job interview, the second question I was asked was which (AFL) team I barracked for. I blustered my way through by explaining that I came from Queensland and didn't really understand AFL so didn't follow a team. Apparently that was an acceptable answer, but if I had said Collingwood, I would have been unlikely to get the job!

Well, if I was interviewing you, it would have been Carlton... but Collingwood is perfectly acceptable 😉

On 22/03/2017 at 2:42 AM, Yenn said:

AFL. Thats the sport that Victorians spend the first 3 days of the week telling each other what a wonderful job such and such a team did at the game or explaining what their team should have done. Then for the next three days explaining what a wonderful job their team will do at the game. Then on the big day I have no idea what they talk about as the previous six days have driven me to go to NSW for a real game.

I think they literally eat, sleep and drink it...

But, in case you miss it:

• Like 1

AFL has really taken off in Queensland in recent years. Most likely because a big slab of our population now are ex Victorians. We used to joke about the Victorian number plate logo that read 'Victoria - on the move'. They were on the move alright, coming to Queensland in their droves and subsequently bringing their footy with them. A common thing we notice here is that a lot of southerners call NRL rugby. To us rugby is rugby union, and rugby league is referred to as just league and rugby union as union.

Rugby union in Queensland is of a much lower status than league, generally looked upon as a schoolboy game. Public schools play rugby league and private schools play rugby union as a general rule. Union is popular in country areas west of the Great Divide as an adult game, one factor being that a lot of locals went to boarding school and played it there. In those areas it's mainly a social affair with a bit of drinking and partying involved, and often the only available social life for younger people. The rules in union don't seem to have changed over the years. Watching it is like watching the rugby league we played as kids, slow and awkward with old style scrums where they push each other around the paddock all day long. One thing good about all the rugby league changes over the years, they've made it a faster, more watchable game and brought a lot more money and fans to the sport. Union is still stuck in the 60's, like a time warp.

I've only ever been to one AFL match and that was a local one in the early 80's. I was invited along by some ex Victorian friends and that's where I first twigged to the passion Victorians have for the game. The spectators were extremely rowdy and up the players and ref like a rat up a drain pipe. Even old ladies were having a good shot at them. Not like league at all in those days. Bearing in mind, the crowd was 99% expat Victorians. Football seems to have some influence on society. Queenslanders (the original born & bred ones) look on NSW as a sister state of sorts; a shared code of football being one reason for that.

Edited by willedoo

• 3 months later...

League is popular in Vic, with Melbourne Storm at the top of the tree. My sons, and particularly my daughter are dedicated Storm fans, my daughter has aa official membership. Many Melbournians unite as Storm supporters, even if bitterly divided by AFL loyalties.  I don't mind watching a League match, especially if the Storm are playing, but Union leaves me cold. Billy has gone, so has Coop, how we will go when Cam hangs up the boots is anyone's guess.I think one of the things that stands out most between AFL and the two rugbies is the way Aussie Rules players can swing aound and kick the ball over their shoulder from an angle so tight the ball almost stcks between the posts and score a goal, while the other codes place the ball on a tee or sand castle, stand back and eye it off for a couple of minutes, measure their steps, then miss the goal. And as for that round ball game, supposedly the only "true" football, to play all day and not score? What's with that?

Apparently, with the pandemic cancelling so much American football (is that even a thing???) AFL games on CNN or ESPN have been a smash hit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, red750 said:

but Union leaves me cold

I'm with you on that one, Peter. Watching a Union game reminds me of the League we played as kids. As far as evolution goes, it's stuck back in the 60's. League has had a huge amount of rule changes over the years to make it a faster, better, more entertaining game. They've had to do it to keep the crowd numbers up, grow the game and stay financially viable. Union on the other hand is still in a time warp.

In Queensland, League was always the game played at public primary and high schools, so there's a bigger pool of upcoming talent. Union is the private boarding school game and watching it now, it still looks like a schoolboy game. Union is popular among the young adults in rural regional areas in Queensland as due to the lack of high schools or big distances to travel to one, many high school age kids go to boarding school and experience Union there. The big difference is that in the country areas it's not very professional;  it's more a vehicle to drink lots of grog, party and meet girls. In those relatively remote areas, about the only social life is something involved with the local footy club. Union fills a role there.