Mrs. May agrees VAT rise from 5 to 20% on Solar panels.

Phil Perry

Mrs May has resigned. But here she is costing the UK more for Green Products. . .

MP John Redwood comments on this.

VAT increase on solar panels

Posted: 25 Jun 2019 10:08 PM PDT

Yesterday the government pushed through a tax hike from 5% to 20% VAT on solar panels. They did this to comply with EU law. I did not support them.

What is it about Mrs May’s government that they are so wedded to the EU? We are leaving. We do not need to set our taxes in the ways they demand any more. The government says it wants to be more green, so why on earth make it more expensive to generate solar power?

I want a Brexit budget. That budget should include taking VAT off all green products like insulation, boiler controls, draught excluder and solar panels.

There is also a view in some parts of the government that we should give the EU some money after we leave if we leave on October 31 without signing the Withdrawal Agreement. I can see no legal basis for any such payment. ( Neither can the Law Lords in the HoL - ED ) Why do they want to sell our country down the river? Why put the EU’s wishes before the interests of UK taxpayers?

As I have said before Mrs May never wanted Brexit and has done all she can to stop it going through.

How can your government put through legislation when it can't even work out who is PM?

IS it an EU thing? More likely a Tory thing. I would have thought. I reckon the VAT is a Dead Hand on any activity and it just keeps on going UP.(once you have it). Too much paperwork too. and scrutiny. But UK has about the best there CCTV next to China. who will be world leaders in a 1984 on steroids scenario. Nev

IS it an EU thing? More likely a Tory thing. I would have thought. I reckon the VAT is a Dead Hand on any activity and it just keeps on going UP.(once you have it). Too much paperwork too. and scrutiny. But UK has about the best there CCTV next to China. who will be world leaders in a 1984 on steroids scenario. Nev

VAT is Purely an EU invention Nev, and the EU sets the rate at which AND ON WHAT it is charged. The UK Govt. retains a tiny percentage of the tax.

On the CCTV surveillance subject, you're right that the UK has more camera density than China, with added 'Facial Recognition' being rolled out daily, one guy was recently Prosecuted, convicted and fined £75.00 for deliberately covering his face when he saw one of these being tested on a public road.. NO JOKE This is REAL. Privacy is now officially a crime.

George Orwell couldn't have imagined how bad this police state would eventually become when he wrote 1984..

I agree about privacy issues for a lot of reasons especilly with govt interference but also I dont care about all the CCTV out in public areas either. Its only a issue if your doing something wrong....I couldnt care less if someone was watching me scratching my bum. Face recognition will be a thing of the future anyway so it is what it is

Unless of course it becomes a crime to scratch your bum

How come Muslim women are not prosecuted?

Very fair question Yenn. I believe that one minority community ( 8 - 9 percent of the UK population ) who require that their female members have to wear face covering whilst in public are exempt for cultural / religious reasons, this practice being defended by the authorities as promoting 'Community Cohesion'. This includes when in Banks and other public buildings, public transport services etc.

However, no one else may cover their faces in the same circumstances. Make of that what you will.

I agree about privacy issues for a lot of reasons especilly with govt interference but also I dont care about all the CCTV out in public areas either. Its only a issue if your doing something wrong....I couldnt care less if someone was watching me scratching my bum. Face recognition will be a thing of the future anyway so it is what it isUnless of course it becomes a crime to scratch your bum

I've not heard of anyone being prosecuted for Bum scratching on CCTV mate . . . but it is interesting to note that in several terrorist incidents in the UK over recent years, the CCTV cameras were not pointing in the right direction, or switched off, making it much more difficult to publicly show who the perps were. . . police also often ask for any private phone cam footage to be handed in, to 'Assist with their enquiries' rather than it being released on soshul meeja. . .

the chief Mullah or something in Pakistan disguised himself as a WOMAN to escape from a building leaving ALL the other suckers inside to die. THAT should have been what's needed to cover this matter. You don't KNOW who or WHAT is under that garb. That's not anti Islamic.. It's just a fact. A motorcyclist must take of his/her helmet to go into the servo or a bank. I guess that even applies to an open face one.. BS like so many things. Nev

No we can't, then. Nev.

Yep. It will be too late.

When will people wake up to the utter hypocracy of those Moslems who refuse to show their faces or stand in court for the judge. They are showing disrespect to this country's traditions, but are happy to enjoy it's freedoms in order to spread their backward ideology.

[ATTACH]50152._xfImport[/ATTACH]

image.thumb.jpeg.461257268a974acef06a793f2cac617d.jpeg

Here we go again.

Jews, Chinese, Vietnamese, Poles, gays, muslims... who are we going to pick on next?

I notice there was a hiatus in the muslim-bashing since the white supremacist massacre in New Zealand. Apparently enough time has now passed and we can get stuck in to them again?

Not bashing anyone, Marty. Just protesting about the flagrant disrespect for our national institutions by a tiny minority of people we welcomed here; people who want to replace our legal system with the one which helped turn their homelands into such a mess that they came here to live...

They just don't want or obay the laws we Australian's HAVE to abide by.

Does that make me worst that just being a second class Australian.

PENSIONER spacesailor ( I dont pay tax so every thing gets dearer & the pension stays at POVERTY levels(Tax breaks for a lady with a $17 million pay check))

Not bashing anyone, Marty. Just protesting about the flagrant disrespect for our national institutions by a tiny minority of people we welcomed here; people who want to replace our legal system with the one which helped turn their homelands into such a mess that they came here to live...

Perhaps we should quantify this small number of people in order the intelligently and rationally gage the magnitude of this problem. Perhaps we should direct our anger at these specific people rather than a group of whom the majority are good law abiding citizens.

To put it another way what percentage of a group must exhibit a particular negative behaviour before we can generalize. Is the percentage of Muslins who refuse to stand in court or show face a greater or lesser thane the percentage of men who rape women? Can we make generalizations about men? I know it may be tiresome but I make my judgements an individuals behaviour.

As usual, I call anyone out who does not supply evidence for their assertion.

...Perhaps we should direct our anger at these specific people rather than a group of whom the majority are good law abiding citizens....

I am.

As I've posted before on this topic, the vast majority of our Moslem immigrants are good, law-abiding citizens; without their help, I doubt our security people would have had so much success nipping terror plots in the bud.

First-generation Moslem Autralians tend to appreciate the opportunities of their new country. It's a minority of subsequent generations that tend to become murderous ratbags.

...To put it another way what percentage of a group must exhibit a particular negative behaviour before we can generalize. Is the percentage of Muslins who refuse to stand in court or show face a greater or lesser thane the percentage of men who rape women?...

Good, logical point Octave, but in this case group size has little meaning.

The impact of extremist Moslems on our national security is out of all proportion to their numbers.

There may be few of them, but the religious base they are drawn from is growing faster than any other and its teachings are fundamentally at odds with our Australian way of life.

While their numbers are small, most will overlook the verses of the Koran that requires them to spread their intolerant ideology (by any means) until it controls every aspect of society.

The French have warned us that once they pass about 5% of the population, it's too late.

All I've kept saying is if you cover your face you can't be recognized. Some aren't allowed to. Why not all? Aren't all people equal before the Law? Nev

I agree. My point is the assumption that the law does not apply to everyone. I am unaware of any difference in the law for different groups perhaps there is but I can't find it.

Moslems who refuse to show their faces or stand in court for the judge.

My understanding is that this was settled some time ago Woman cannot give evidence in a niqab, Australian court rules

Here is how my view may differ. If there is an assertion that the law is different for some people or the law is being applied differently then I need more than hearsay. It may be entirely true in which case I would agree that it is out of order but we also have to be careful we don't jump at straw men.

We often hear the "we should ban the burqa" or whatever as if it is this huge widespread problem and I ask myself how many Australian Muslim women actually wear it. For 7 years I live in an apartment that overlooked the Newport mosque in Melbourne. Not once did I see the full female getup. I have seen it once in Footscray, once in a shopping centre and once on a train in Sydney.

The point is if someone says Muslims are refusing to stand in court or uncover their face when appropriate I need to know if this is a total myth or partially true or widespread. A search of these topics reveals very few cases.

It's quite reasonable to need verification of assertions if one is drawing serious conclusions from anything. Unfortunately telling deliberate lies is legal. Doing it for gain is perhaps not , but media get away with it Constantly.. They are obviously too big to challenge? Nev

"we should ban the burqa" or whatever as if it is this huge widespread problem and I ask myself how many Australian Muslim women actually wear it. "

I have seen two In my bank, I am Not allowed in with a mask or helmet on.

IT"s the law.

(Possibly the only two women wearing the chador in My area ?)

spacesailor

Couple of things to think about.

1) Is there a strong cultural or religious reason to keep your helmet on when going into a bank?

2) How many banks have been robbed by someone wearing a burqua / chador / nun's habit ? How does that compare with the number that have been robbed by someone wearing a helmet?

Again muslims are less than 3% of the population and only a tiny fraction of those wear the full gear.

Haven't we got more pressing things to worry about?