My Next Bike...

Jerry_Atrick

More likely around the tank area (heat) and mainswitch unit. The ignition switches are prone to problems. Probably the originals are the best, but they aren't new anymore.. Generally a WLA is a pretty good jigger as long as it's sorted and not modified. Carry a spare coil . The chinese ones last about 3 years. The generator is not regulated. It only has a cutout and 3rd brush adjustment and an extra field coil (called a "shunt ") that comes into play when the lights are on. You can overcharge the battery, on a long run. which means acid around the place. If you want to put a regulator on it the internal wiring of the generator should be altered to use both field coils at the same time and with the correct polarity. Nev

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While on this topic, does anyone know how to replace brittle plastic cable sheaths? I am rebuilding a 1970 Yamaha at present and the grey plastic tubing around each group of wires has gone hard. It will look silly if I strip it off and wrap with tape. New loom is not available as far as I know.

I do not know if you can get the grey tube but maybe use black if needed.

Simply cut the old one off carefully, so you don't nip any wires.

If you use a very small jewellers flat screwdriver - you can release each wire as it enters a connection block.

Best to do a drawing of what goes where first.

Then slide the new cover on the group of wires. Put wires back into connector and make sure it is correct way up and the little tab on the wire end is up so it can engage the connector.

Pull each wire to make sure it has been secured into the connector block.

Connect to the loom and you check operation to endure its all good. This can be done with a voltmeter or even just a wire and bulb.

I don't remember the loom on a 70 model but the basics are all the same.

Some looms will actually require you to split the loom where it branches out and often includes wires that are soldered together. That is a pain but just takes time to resolder.

Just make sure any soldering efforts do not shorten any wires too much, as that can cause problems if the loom becomes too taut when installed. Esp around the headstem ends.

Don't forget to inspect each wire for faults, burn marks, corrosion or brittleness. Also clean them and the ends well.

Any areas that are not covered in tube, use a self amalgamated tape on. It self seals and provides a water tight closure.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask anything else.

What model is it?

Tx 500?

Cheers Phil

I do not know if you can get the grey tube but maybe use black if needed.

Simply cut the old one off carefully, so you don't nip any wires.

If you use a very small jewellers flat screwdriver - you can release each wire as it enters a connection block.

Best to do a drawing of what goes where first.

Then slide the new cover on the group of wires. Put wires back into connector and make sure it is correct way up and the little tab on the wire end is up so it can engage the connector.

Pull each wire to make sure it has been secured into the connector block.

Connect to the loom and you check operation to endure its all good. This can be done with a voltmeter or even just a wire and bulb.

I don't remember the loom on a 70 model but the basics are all the same.

Some looms will actually require you to split the loom where it branches out and often includes wires that are soldered together. That is a pain but just takes time to resolder.

Just make sure any soldering efforts do not shorten any wires too much, as that can cause problems if the loom becomes too taut when installed. Esp around the headstem ends.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask anything else.

What model is it?

Tx 500?

Thanks will try that. It is an RT1 360.

[ATTACH]50226._xfImport[/ATTACH]

DSCF2971-001.thumb.JPG.41d7446d988b4124f8d6390cf1f4064b.JPG

...Just make sure any soldering efforts do not shorten any wires too much, as that can cause problems if the loom becomes too taut when installed. Esp around the headstem ends...

Good advice, Litey. Early Japanese wiring looms were sometimes shorter than tolerance and plugs would pull out when handlebars were turned fully.

Even some of the later ones.

I redid my Yamaha Tdm 850 when I converted it to street fighter and lost 40 kg.

Transformed it onto a very mean wheelie machine.

And stoppie beast. Superbike brakes on a adventure bike standard- got to love that.

But the loom ended a touch too short and would sometimes cut the ignition. Mid corner. Not fun.

Fixed it but lesson learnt.

Guzzi electrics are made from spaghetti and the switch blocks from low quality Parmesan cheese.

My mk 3 LeMans never had problems.

I had replaced the switchgear with ally ones from a 70's Yamaha. Tough and reliable.

The ignition went to a Dyna electronic unit. And high output coils . Awesome spark and reliable.

Easy to start every time even bump starting.

The crappy headlight replaced with a big round BMW one.

The copper in the wires goes brittle (work hardening) and the Plastic covering doesn't last long in the sun.. Magneti Marelli OR Lucas was never as good as DelcoRemy... Early HD electrics were excellent compared to most other stuff available but I don't like COIL ignition on EARLY Motorbikes. You are always having battery issues but old folks can't kick the stuff over and younger ones never learned how to, so they fit electric start or buy a modern retro look FAKE early bike or Harley copy. which is neither one thing or the other. So there.. Nev

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions on this problem? Old looms have corroded wires, copper has a green coating, I can’t tin it for soldering. Maybe vinegar? I do want to use the same end fitting so have to solder some wires rather than replace them entirely. Tried Bakers fluid without success.

Thanks for responses. My problem is that someone cut off the instrument lights at some time. The sockets are encapsulated and are a press fit under the instruments. I don’t think I can get replacements. I need to solder onto them and heat shrink the joints. See photo.

[ATTACH]50347._xfImport[/ATTACH]

6AD7D2BD-1D13-4077-B34E-4BFC1FEB3C00.thumb.jpeg.ff878cc9f4062ab1dfbecd13bb141081.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Not "my next bike" but it is bike related.

On a recent drive in the country, I discovered a couple of these 1914 Douglas bikes. First time I got to see a complete one. When I was a teen, my mate got a Douglas motor and held onto it for 50 years in the hope of finding a frame to go with it.....

The bikes were very nice restorations, one was in the Pub at Ravenshoe. Oddly, the other was on the fruit and  veggie stand in Kunnunnura IGA.

[ATTACH]50464._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50465._xfImport[/ATTACH]

PART_1575338064379.thumb.jpg.3cd96eb5569f0120a8d034de5f1f6184.jpg

PART_1575338667227.thumb.jpg.7a0033434091d001d451f73ce00fa838.jpg

CLR is the stuff to treat corroded wiring. Make up a solution of about 20% CLR to water, and soak the corroded wiring in it.

It can take many hours to see results, but you'll see them. Once clean enough, flush with clean water to neutralise the CLR.

If the treatment isn't working fast enough or effectively enough, increase the percentage of CLR until you see it working.

I've done corroded park light and headlight wiring on classic cars this way, and it works perfectly.

Once the wiring is clean, you need to spray it with a anti-corrosion protective spray.

CLR is the stuff to treat corroded wiring. Make up a solution of about 20% CLR to water, and soak the corroded wiring in it.

It can take many hours to see results, but you'll see them. Once clean enough, flush with clean water to neutralise the CLR.

If the treatment isn't working fast enough or effectively enough, increase the percentage of CLR until you see it working.

I've done corroded park light and headlight wiring on classic cars this way, and it works perfectly.

Once the wiring is clean, you need to spray it with a anti-corrosion protective spray.

Thanks that’s the answer I’ve been looking for. Will start tomorrow on a couple of projects.

If the copper wire's that bad the rubber will be gone to god as well. I've had a few shorts happening lately where the old rubber just turns to dust. Too risky to not rewire with new wires.  One bike was rewired in the 70's and done carefully at the time but it's too long  if the covering is rubber. Plastic covered goes hard and splits so ,  I reckon 25 years at the most to be safe. with any wiring, on a vehicle. Nev