Space Stations: Past, Present, And Future

octave

I don't know if anyone else knows, but you can play "spot the Space Station" as it whizzes over your location, by checking the site below.

I was only reminded of this site when I went outside on Wed night and spotted it whizzing through the Nor-Western sky about 8:30PM.

It's quite bright and can be seen clearly in a clear sky, even with city lighting reducing the darkness level.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/index.cfm

It will be interesting to see what happens to the ISS in the near future. Funding to 2024 might work in with the start of the Chinese space station where the Europeans are going. I doubt Russia could afford to build one of their own, so maybe there's a possibility of them joining the Chinese station. Considering that China and America refuse to cooperate in the new Chinese station, it might leave the US out in the cold.

Don't be surprised if Uncle Sam imposes sanctions on any nation which teams up with China or Russia.

They have a long track record of abusing the Dollar's status as de facto global currency to protect their own corporations' profits.

That financial domination is nearing an end, as other countries are setting up alternative exchange systems.

I think the ISS has been a good thing for the world. It brings countries together for a common scientific goal and mostly without politics. Introducing politics to space research and everyone having separate stations seems to be a backward step.

I can understand American pride driving them to be a space player without relying so heavily on the Russians, but it's easier and cheaper if they all cooperate.

The Empire strikes back. Newly released photo of Donald's space warrior uniform. The camo is a good idea; they might find a planet with trees and stuff.

The rank on the uniform appears to be 4 Star General. That's even higher than Captain Kirk.

[ATTACH]50612._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1078074473.thumb.jpg.e7efb9aac1cc42ae2f6df3243d59d18e.jpg

Probably more importantly, to whom is this "Force" going to apply force to?? - and using what powers and weapons??

If they run into any aliens, they will probably zap their "Force" with weapons so advanced, the Yanks will have no idea what hit them.

Seems like a big waste of money. The Airforce told him it wasn't needed as they already handle all things space, but Donald wanted his Space Force right or wrong. In some ways, his administration is going in the right direction from their national security point of view. They seem to be seriously looking into getting their military less reliant on technology supplied by their opponents, China and Russia. One thing that's concerning them is the fact that many Pentagon satellites have Russian electric thrusters for geo positioning. They seem to be a bit worried that the Russians might build technology into them to be able to control them remotely. In the event of a conflict, push the U.S. satellites out of position, so to speak.

Until the U.S. catches up with technology, they are in a bit of a bind there. It's come about from the use of private contractors who work to a price. The Russians build state of the art thrusters for a low price, making them attractive to contractors and suppliers. If the U.S. government banned their use, their satellites would cost a lot more and be a lot less reliable. The Americans need to start making their own stuff again. I think the problem is that they are in a permanent state of war which has reduced the money available for R&D. Since the start of the Baby Bush wars, China and Russia have had a golden opportunity to study American gear and capabilities and then develop superior systems. I think America could easily keep pace with warfare technology if they just stepped back from fighting for a while and put more cash back into R&D.

• 1 month later...

Our world is full of country physically very much like that. Parts of Australia, U.S., Africa, China, Mongolia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, Iran, Yemen, Tajikistan, Pakistan and probably most of Antarctica under the ice. A lot of acres. We got lucky here with that little ring of O2 and some of the fertile land. I think if they want to live on Mars, they would have to build underground with that wild climate there.

• 2 months later...

If everything goes good, next Wednesday will be a big day for U.S. national pride. It looks like they're finally back in the race. The Spacex crew launch is go to launch and will be the first time astronauts have gone to space using a privately owned taxi. Also the first time in nine years they have been able to launch their own astronauts.

I doubt NASA's professionalism would be bothered by their reliance on the Russians in space, but in the ego driven world of politics, it's been a humiliating time for those in power. In their minds, the Eagle is at the top of the food chain and soars above all others while the lowly Bear plods the forests below. Not so in reality. Nine years of hitching a lift with the Ruskies to a space station that has Russian technology at the heart of it's propulsion and life support systems. Launching cargoes with Atlas V rockets that need Russian rocket engines, and then delivering to space American satellites that have Russian built geo-positioning thrusters. It's been a dismal time for the politicians but hopefully Spacex can make it better.

From a nationalistic point of view, the Spacex rockets are all American, whereas the Boeing crew capsule uses the Atlas V launch vehicle with the Russian primary boost engines. America might have a good future in space if they can get rid of the Trump-like 'them and us' attitude and increase co-operation with the global space community. The day will soon come where we see a Russian cosmonaut with a seat in the Spacex capsule. The more alternatives, the better.

• Thanks 1

By my calculations the Crew Dragon launch should be at 6.33am AEST tomorrow (Thursday ) morning. There should be plenty of sites to watch it live online.

I was reading where the designer of the Spacex Star Trek like suits was a Hollywood designer. It shows in the appearance of them. The interesting part is that the basic principle and technology behind the rescue suits hasn't really changed much over the years. But the big factor these days seems to be the advances in modern materials which enables these new designs. Apparently the Boeing suit material allows moisture and condensation to pass through and out of the suit, but it will still hold pressure if need be. If the new materials and compounds allow it, the sleek slim suits are all that is needed. An oxygen supply and an airtight atmosphere in event of depressurization.

The new Russian rescue suits under development don't look much different from the suits used on the Soyuz at present. It's called the Sokol-M and uses new materials and other features like incorporated gloves and length adjustable sections in the knee and elbow region. I think that's to keep costs down with suits able to fit a range of body types. And they appear to be going back to Shuttle-like high vis orange.

Sokol-M suit.

sokol_m.thumb.jpg.8fc8d0216d4e53ab0850c26fee1623ba.jpg

For a deep dive into this subject I listen to the podcast "Houston we have a podcast" in particular this one is interesting with regards to Artemis Spacesuits.

Ep 120: Artemis Spacesuits

There are many fascinating podcasts here. One talks to the people who design the tools used in repairing and upgrading ISS during space walks, for example the drive tools for screws and bolts etc

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here are some of the sites broadcasting the launch live. They say weather wise, a 60% chance of lift off, otherwise backup dates on Saturday and Sunday.

6 ways to watch SpaceX's historic first rocket launch of NASA astronauts live online

A bit of trivia - of the two astronauts on the flight, one is married to an astronaut and the other's wife is an ex astronaut. Keeping it in the family, so shouldn't be too many arguments over job choice.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1