Guess This Bike

Phil Perry

Peasants! We, the members of the Lada Niva Appreciation Society are outraged at the ignorance shown by the motoring community, raised, as they were on inferior marques. The lovable Niva had mobs of advanced features decades ahead of the pack. Mine took my little family around our continent and to many remote places.

Twenty five years before Toyota did, they had four wheel coil spring suspension, two-range 4WD with diff lock, monocoque body, headlight wipers, etc... Despite these advanced features, they carried a sensible toolkit and something you haven't seen in cars for generations: a crank handle, which worked!

They could out-climb anything but a Zuke, as my Uluru pic proves:

[ATTACH]49992._xfImport[/ATTACH]

image.thumb.jpeg.d164f1b535837b94f4ae99d734c68cd5.jpeg

and a steering wheel which wasn't correctly centered in front of the driver.

I must concede that point to you, Cosmick. The original LHdrive version was pretty good, with the transmission offset to give the driver plenty of room. When it was converted to RHD they sure buggered up a good design.

The driver has less room than the front passenger, the steering box was now on the wrong side, crammed in under the clutch and brake cylinder and their hydraulics. Damned hard to get to.

The Niva is said to have come from a 3 km assembly line in Togliatti, Russia. They churned them out by the tens of thousands, so cheap they bartered them for Aussie wool. and they weren't going to change the design for anyone. The glove box was just big enough for a pair of gloves. When you opened it everything fell out.

On the bright side, the Lada Niva sold like hot cakes in many countries, and not just because it was cheap. It was years ahead of it's rivals in features and was named 4WD of the year in the early 1980s.

Spare parts were incredibly cheap and easy to get, because, unlike Japanese cars, there was one model and it never changed.