Guess This Bike

Phil Perry

Friend Alan pictured this machine in Skegness ( Older style seaside resort on the East Coast of England ) very recently, and I Identified it, though not the precise model. Having owned one from the same stable in 1966.

AVAGUESS. . ( Marks will be deducted for cheating use of the Reggoe. . .)

[ATTACH]49957._xfImport[/ATTACH]

ENFIELD.thumb.jpg.dd51f5789a166a0cf17d5581416a864b.jpg

Royal Enfield???

Indeed it is Sir. . . .As I said, I dunno the model, but while I was in India I saw lots of them and they're very reliable,. .. ie Fuel injection, Hydraulic valves etc,. . unlike my RE Crusader from 1967 which was almost Totally unreliable, so much so that one day, I swapped it for a gibson ES 330 which was a crap guitar ( feedback ) After spending a kings ransome on bloody parts and repairs. . . Not sure when they started remaking them in India. . . Similarly, in Thailand, the Honda 110 is ubiquitous. . .everybody has one. . .aand yet they never appeared on British roads. . .. I saw the RE everywhere in India and Pakistan, where they were used as Taxis, builders trucks, and everything in between. . Dunno why the Hondas never seemed to appear in the sub continent. . .Odd that. . .

Triumph had a sprung hub, retro fitted to some earlier rigid 47 and later models then they went to the swinging arm. BSA and Norton used the plunger suspension (pretty ordinary) Royal Enfield fitted a swing arm to their 47 and later model 350 Bullets. Moto Guzzi had a swing arm in the 20's Indian fitted one in 1913 through to 1924 and then went back to rigid . The Ariel Anstey link was first used pre war in 1939 and had an unusual linkage that kept the chain more constantly .adjusted. . A lot of the earlier thingies were not damped. Nev

• 2 weeks later...

The Matchless club had a run out to Crows Nest (40k north of Toowoomba) last year. I enjoyed prowling along the bikes lined up outside the bakery. After they left, there was a row of drips of oil left behind where they had marked their territory. At their age, they can be excused for a little incontinence.

They don't HAVE to leak a lot of oil. The NEW Royal Enfield motor looks like some sort of religious shrine rather than a motor, to me. I had one of the original 350 bullets (1947) First with a swing arm rear suspension and it was my only form of transport at times. in the early sixties. when I worked in Sydney..It got worked hard and never let me down once.. I believe they are reviving the BSA Marque as well. Nev