I knew I liked the French!

Marty_d

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of animosity was evident between the Brits and the French when I was there in the 80's. Like "why would you Go there mate? Wogs begin at Calais" etc. Plenty of brit's live there, and seem happy enough. Better to advise the French you are not English, I found. .They do have a sense of humour also as long as you don't beat them at anything. Currently the way our country is behaving, I'm trying to acquire a new Zealand accent, just in case I go back there.. A few years back a Doctor in a Melbourne Hospital asked me what part of London was I from. My Mob came from the very North of England, On both sides in1860 OTA. but my "supposed" London accent puts me 1/2 way to the New Zealand one so there's hope. IF I go back. I actually found them generally most helpful and honest and never saw one inebriated. Nev.

My action was taken pursuant to Section 100(b) of the Law Enforcement (Powers and Responsibilities) Act 2002 (NSW).

The section reads as follows:-

A person (other than a police officer) may, without a warrant, arrest a person if:-

a. The person is in the act of committing an offence under any Act or statutory instrument; or

b.

The person has just committed any such offence

; (

my italics

); or

c. The person has committed a serious indictable offence for which the person has not been tried.

You will note that in the present case, there was no detention after arrest, no initiation of any legal process. This is because the word "may" is used in describing the power to arrest. It is important to remember that the power to arrest is discretionary. Section 9(1) of the Interpretation Act 1987 (NSW) provides: (1) In any Act or instrument, the word “may”, if used to confer a power, indicates that the power may be exercised or not, at discretion.

In R v Beaudry 2007 SCC 5, Doyon JA writing for the majority of the Supreme Court of Canada said, "There is no question that police officers have a duty to enforce the law and investigate crimes. Nevertheless, it should not be concluded automatically, or without distinction, that this duty is applicable in every situation. Applying the letter of the law to the practical, real-life situations faced by police officers in performing their everyday duties requires that certain adjustments be made… The ability – indeed the duty – to use one’s judgment to adapt the process of law enforcement to individual circumstances and to the real-life demands is in fact the basis of police discretion."

The power of arrest may be exercised simply by calling for an action or activity to cease. Thus the words, "Stop! Move away from the computer." constitute an arrest and prevention of the recurrence of the offence.

Ignorance of the existence of Orthographers no doubt leads some people to corral orthographers with grammarians.

None of those. I'm referring to the French who are often accused of being drunks because they always have wine with meals. Not very clear the way I wrote it I must confess. I'm always getting called away for something, so I'm not checking my stuff enough. At least I know ONE person is reading my posts. That's encouraging. Nev

George Moffat ( he became world champion ) learned to fly gliders in France and he was taken aback when they all stopped at noon to have a dinner, with wine, before continuing flying.

For myself, one day I was getting ready to service the car in the hangar when this CASA guy arrived. He had a clip-board and an alcohol tester. He said that although he could see I wasn't about to fly, could he test me anyway on account of how he had to fill in this form a bit.

He was actually quite a nice bloke, so I agreed and he found that I was zero at 9am.

A poor use of government money, thought I.

Anglos, Particularly Australian ones and the Germans are noisy and drink to get off their tiny brain. To the French, it's an adjunct to their meal. Italians to a point, likewise. Looking back on it we drank excessively. specially in places like Darwin and PNG. where it's HOT and humid and an airconditioned bar was better than being "outside".. All the expats insisted on it or you were considered very "different". I've always preferred wine to most Beers and copped a fair bit of flak until it became fashionable.. .Nev