I knew I liked the French!

Marty_d

In general the trend is downwards. Doesn't mean there won't be groups that still drink heavily (I also used to take a bottle of JD to parties in my 20's) but overall it's decreasing.

That's what I was getting at when I said, "Over consumption of alcohol is an activity of youth." Young and single means that you don't have the financial and moral duties of family life. As soon as a bloke settles down, everyone expects him to buckle down. Occasional letting off of steam is permitted, but once it becomes too frequent, then the slippery slide has been climbed.

When a couple gets to the Darby and Joan stage of life, there's more time for appreciating foods, including wines and beers, and exploring new types. With exploring as the driver, binge drinking doesn't get a seat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's the flip side to suffering from alcoholism, that's tee-totalism. By choice, I didn't drink for close on thirty years, just about all through my working life. As a result, I have no social life with others. I didn't mix with colleagues after work; didn't join registered clubs; didn't go to pubs. My father-in-law enjoyed good wines. I never joined him in a sampling. Even in response to our wedding toast, I did not drink. The day I retired, I had a celebration dinner with my family, and had the first drink they had ever seen me have. It was quite a shock to them. Now I still rather drink tea or coffee for refreshment. I enjoy sipping a glass of wine after dinner, and may have a schooner if I have a meal out.

In the Anglo-Irish Australian culture declining to drink alcohol is social suicide.

just tell them you have a gut problem and you have to drink mineral water. That will allow you to spend all afternoon down at the rowing club admiring the harbour and the flights overhead heading to mascot. You don't get drunk, you don't gain weight, you don't stuff up your diabetes, you don't fart and your mouth doesn't taste like the bottom of a cocky's cage.