What's good (and bad ) about Russia?

willedoo

• 1 month later...

Communism's goal is the establishment of  a socioeconomic order structured upon the ideas of common ownership of property and the absence of social  classes, money, and the state.

It's good to know that the krest'yanin have common ownership of such wonderful places, planes and yachts. 

"krest'yanin" the best Russian word I could find to equate with  "commoner".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Putin’s stupid war against Ukraine serms to have doomed another Russian generation to poverty and pariah status on the world stage. Will a decent leader emerge to unlock the true potential of the Russian people?

We don’t often hear about the huge debt the world owes to Russian art, science and innovation. When I consult You Tube university to help solve a problem, I often find innovative videos from eastern Europe.

This bloke is brilliant, so I’ve subscribed to his channel:

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

A handy tool for small jobs. I wonder how hot the angle grinder would get. I suppose if the chain is sharp, it would get no hotter than grinding metal continuously.

One thing I learnt the hard way about angle grinders - if they get to the point where the bearing is starting to growl a bit, you can save the grinder by stopping use and replacing the bearing. Bearings are cheap and often fairly standard sizes and easily obtained. If you keep using it with a rumbly bearing, the bearing will eventually seize. The bearing housing is often just plastic and part of the case, so the bearing, locked on the shaft, will spin in the plastic housing and melt that part of the case. Having said that, tools are cheap these days. It might be a toss up whether someone wanted to spend the time fixing one.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

My missus bought a little Chinese 240V corded electric pole pruner off eBay. I think she paid $137 for it, a few years ago. It came with an interchangeable mini-chain saw, and a hedge trimmer blade.

It's got a pole that extends to 4M, and it's a little ripper for pruning. I don't think I'd waste all that time and effort and materials to modify an angle grinder - which is quite likely to crap itself within 12 mths, anyway.

Now, you can get a similar, battery-powered pole pruner unit for $187. This one is shorter, though, at 2.7M.

https://www.homeappliancesplus.com.au/products/giantz-20v-2-in-1-cordless-electric-chainsaw?variant=39993979371675

The only problem I've had with the pole pruner, is I managed last week to leave the oil tank cap loose, and it fell off while I had it right up amongst the branches, and I ended up wearing a cupful of chainsaw bar oil, all over my head! :doh:

But that bloke seems to like making every tool for himself, that he wants to use. I note his drill vice and drill stand are home-made. I guess he gets a lot of satisfaction out of his handiwork.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2

When you watch a lot of those "I made it myself" videos, you get the impression that they are re-inventing the wheel, and that it would be cheaper in the long run to buy what someone else has made. Having said that, let me say this, I've made, or am planning to make a lot of handy gadgets that I could quite readily buy online. But when the cost of your time is zilch and materials are cheap, why not DIY?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1