Dual Nationality and SSM

old man emu

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not the Australian citizen that is trying to go against the vote. It is the corrupt politician who cannot do the obvious thing and just get the legislation passed. What they don't seem to realise is that the longer they come up with their stupid arguments, the longer we as voters have to decide they are not doing their job correctly.

We now have politicians who are professional pollies, not the people we used to have who became politicians, to get change for the better. You only have to listen to them, everything is done for the Party. No thought about the country.

Churches have a (sort of) right to decide who they will "bless/ deal with" by making their type of ceremony available. If some person(s) don't go to a wedding because of race, religion, sex orientation or whatever, they ARE discriminating on that basis and that is a fact and should be seen as such.

Should a hospital or taxi driver be able to deny you their services on the same basis? If so where does that right to discriminate end? Your religion or your sex life shouldn't be everyone's concern unless YOUR rights are affected, or other people are threatened directly by their actions. Same applies to terminating your own life. If there's no coercion, what's the problem? It's actually quite hard to prevent people doing it (as in impossible). Why not be civilised about it? . Strange how some god botherers are so keen to say NO to what others regard as an entitled personal decision. Is this some self righteous, assumed piety? Do they feel threatened? Probably but why? No one is forcing them to marry a same sex person or commit suicide. Should they consider their own position as beyond questioning (as they do)? Nev

I reckon a lot of the self righteous, god bothering, religious fundamentalist defenders of our "way of life" as they seem to call it are closet sexual deviants, child molesterers, perverts or other such unpalatable beings. They just haven't been found out yet as no one has been able to access their computers, check their stash of magazines or investigate their past etc to find out what they have done or look at. Most of us thought that all Priests, Teachers, Care givers etc were pillars of society back in the 60s & 70s. The ones who knew the opposite were so traumatised they couldn't say anything & would not have been believed anyway. Thank goodness many have now been exposed and prosecuted. There are plenty more who are yet to face the music.

The marriage is something sanctioned and recognised by the government. Having a marriage ceremony in a place of religion is not necessary to be married. If gays want to be married in church, it is up to them to get the church to do the ceremony and with religion being treated differently from the rest of us. If the church says yes, then OK. If it says no, still OK

My brother in law is highly religious and I went to the UK for his wedding. He was marrying a divorcee and his church refused to marry him. I did note that his local priest was the first to arrive at the reception for drinks. I didn't go to the civil ceremony as I was setting up the drinks for the reception.

Funny thing my brother in law has now been married 40 years and still can't see the hypocricy of his religion.

Tony Abbott said this at the beginning of the SSM plebiscite

"And I say to you if you don't like same-sex marriage, vote no. If you're worried about religious freedom and freedom of speech, vote no, and if you don't like political correctness, vote no because voting no will help to stop political correctness in its tracks."

Many social conservatives insisted that despite the simple question being asked, it was actually just as much about stopping the progressive agenda, it was about safe schools, it as about political correctness or as I would say politeness.

So let's analyze this, either Abbott was wrong that this was anything more than deciding whether marriage should be available to same-sex couples or if Abbott was astute then perhaps the Australian people are not as conservative as the Abbots Bernadis and Bolts think.

If Abbot was right then the people have also voted for the safe school program, political correctness (or politeness) and social progression.

Tony Abbott said this at the beginning of the SSM plebiscite

"And I say to you if you don't like same-sex marriage, vote no. If you're worried about religious freedom and freedom of speech, vote no, and if you don't like political correctness, vote no because voting no will help to stop political correctness in its tracks."

Many social conservatives insisted that despite the simple question being asked, it was actually just as much about stopping the progressive agenda, it was about safe schools, it as about political correctness or as I would say politeness.

So let's analyze this, either Abbott was wrong that this was anything more than deciding whether marriage should be available to same-sex couples or if Abbott was astute then perhaps the Australian people are not as conservative as the Abbots Bernadis and Bolts think.

If Abbot was right then the people have also voted for the safe school program, political correctness (or politeness) and social progression.

Abbott? Wrong?? spacer.png

Obviously he's not going to stock pork products. The difference is, of course, that he'd probably happily sell you all the halal lamb & chicken you could carry, regardless of the fact that you don't share his belief system.

Obviously he's not going to stock pork products. The difference is, of course, that he'd probably happily sell you all the halal lamb & chicken you could carry, regardless of the fact that you don't share his belief system.

I had a halal beef sausage in a roll at Bunning Greenacre. It tasted fantastic. I suppose if you buy halal you get what you pay for rather than some unidentifiable sludge.

I agree with that, I was responding to Peter's post below. Kenneally is an Australian citizen and has renounced her US citizenship, but somehow she's not an "Australian".

But she is part of the ALP Right Wing Scum best known for looking after the mates than looking after Australia.

I had a halal beef sausage in a roll at Bunning Greenacre. It tasted fantastic. I suppose if you buy halal you get what you pay for rather than some unidentifiable sludge.

I may be wrong here, but I thought the only difference between halal and normal meat was that some bloke mutters a few prayers while killing the animal. In which case it's exactly the same.

But she is part of the ALP Right Wing Scum best known for looking after the mates than looking after Australia.

That may indeed be true, and that's a valid reason not to vote for her. Her accent isn't.

Obeid had an iron grip over NSW Labor & Keneally was unable to make any change and she suffered the same fate as her predecessors. Anyway Obeid, MacDonald etc eventually got their just desserts.

Do they get dessert in prison? Seriously, I don't know. I don't think they should.

There was this guy who had the Halal stamp at the Geelong abattoirs. He was paid $6 or so to certify the sheep were killed halal.

Sometimes he would just send his stamp to work and get paid just the same.. I got this story from a senior meat inspector at that place.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been the case for a long while now. If you want everyone to know the person you are with is your wife make sure you argue all the time and they will jump to the logical conclusion.

Seen from another point of view, should one have the right to assume the person you are with is your wife. It might be your sister (or daughter) or a business person. The French give every object a gender. That's a complexity that proves little I reckon. You might think the French are obsessed with sex. . If you want people to know she's your wife (which is fine) You or she can inform them. People won't just as a matter of course know that. Nor should they need to.

PS I used to get annoyed when my wife, then in business got the title Ms. on all correspondence. I don't now . There's much more serious things to get stirred up about , if you really want to, but it doesn't do you much good.

This was done before your last post Red, so adjust for that. please. I got called away. Not carried away.... Nev

All well and good, Nev, but why should I stop saying "My wife" to spare someone else's sensibilities. What about my sensibilities?

I don't understand, in what way are you prohibited from calling the person you married your wife, the misses, the ball and chain, in fact, whatever you like.

"Politically Correct, don't upset the LGBTTQI lot"

What makes you think that SSM folks will be offended by using to term wife or husband, isn't that part of the point of wanting the same marriage rights?

Personally, I do refer my wife as my partner an have always done so. When I meet a couple I use the term partner partly because I often don't know whether they are married or not, I don't even know if some of my friends are married or defacto, it is simply not that important to me.

If not the SSM folks, then who is driving this?

Who is driving what exactly? When you say that language is being changed so as not to offend LBGQs I am supposing that this offends you. fair enough but is your offence more severe than their offence. Personaly I do not want to offend anyone because Ii am no a dick. I do understand that some people are more easily offended than others and perhaps you fall into this catergory. It is important to put these things into perspective. It is sad if this progress is making you unhappy but perhaps you can just disagree and try to have a good life anyway.