Nth Korea, some cause for concern

bexrbetter

• 4 weeks later...

Sloppy journalism:

'The news agency Kyodo, which said the rocket reached a height of 1000km, reported that the Japanese government was seeking to confirm whether the test involved a new type of missile.'

1000km, that's a good rocket. Two and a half times the orbit altitude of the space station.

Yeah, but according to the report I heard, the flight lasted 30 minutes. Wouldn't that be enough to go that far?

I did think as I was writing this that if the rocket left the atmosphere, it might burn up on re-entry, but I suppose that since it might not have reached a very high speed, it might not have been going fast enough for friction to be a problem.

The Germans' V2 rocket at launch the propelled itself for up to 65 seconds on its own power, and a program motor controlled the pitch to the specified angle at engine shutdown, after which the rocket continued on a ballistic free-fall trajectory. The rocket reached a height of 80 km (50 mi) after shutting off the engine.

I guess 1000 km was a misprint and the correct height was 100 km, but that does not account for the flight time.

OME

An article on RT quotes the North Koreans claiming it reached maximum altitude of 2,111 klm..

N. Korea claims latest missile test ‘successful & proves its capability to carry nuclear warheads’

I know little about rocketry. Maybe they need the high altitude to get the right trajectory to cover the distance at ground level. Also the re-entry speed. The Russian Yars re-entry vehicles go about 16,000 mph.; the equivalent U.S. version about 14,000 as far as I know. It makes them hard to shoot down.

A random sample of 1,746 Americans were asked if they could point to North Korea an a map. . .

This is the result.

[ATTACH]48735._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Mind you,. . .to be fair,. . .some did get it right !

[ATTACH]48734._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1603877518_NorthKorea.thumb.jpg.bf265c3f530a814f4f1d7317d924ed68.jpg

374712360_NorthKorea.thumb.jpg.5c8bda2307eddad1734c416406e04a63.jpg

• Sad 1

A random sample of 1,746 Americans were asked if they could point to North Korea an a map. . .

This is the result.

[ATTACH=full]2172[/ATTACH]

Mind you,. . .to be fair,. . .some did get it right !

As a former Geography teacher I almost weep when I see such ignorance. Another forum I frequent has lots of stories about how little the average American knows about the world. That forum also shows a disturbing focus on their country being invaded. Seems to be lots of ignorant, paranoid people in the US; maybe that's how Fox News likes it. (Apologies to the many decent, well travelled and incredibly well mannered Americans I have met.)

Kim Jong Un, Mao, Murdoch, Goebbels, Beaverbrook etc, etc, ad nauseum. He who controls the presses, controls the people.

If you only feed the people one side of the story, they will never contradict it.

Spot on, Mr. Emu.

The press?

Our old mate Joh Used to refer to press releases as "Feeding the chooks". That's probably why he stayed top dog in Queensland for so long (along with a little help from gerrymander, nepotism, and other honorable behaviour)

Yeh but a lot off roads got build that are used today money well spent Neil

Tell me you're not trying to say Joh Bjelke-Petersen was a good man.

He was a goddamn criminal who should have spent his declining years behind bars.

I remember a anecdote connected to JBP, from a mate in Flight Service and concerning a Lady commercial pilot named Beryl. Apparently this lady was JBPs personal pilot, and was often challenged by FS and ATC; following any request for 'Priority clearance' through airspace, or whatever,. . or something like that, to be brutally honest, I don't remember the term. She was asked on a number of occasions whether the Premier of Queensland was actually on board the aircraft or not. . .and would never give a straight answer. They called her some German thing like, stormtrooper, stormtrollop, or something equally disrespectful of her lofty position in the Qld Govt.

Did Pollies have special airways privileges back then ? anyone know ? Surely pollies wouldn't have been granted that kind of service like the POTUS or HM The Queen's aircraft which carried the 'Kittyhawk' callsign. . . .( And carry a bit of notamed controlled airspace with them wherever they fly, called a 'Purple Airway' . . .)

Or am I asking this question on the wrong forum ? Another bloke I knew worked in a division of DCA known as 'Airports'. He was whingeing that JBP had built a taxpayer funded sealed runway for himself and Beryl to use, on his private property. . .paid for out of the 'Airports' budget.

Kim Jong Un, Mao, Murdoch, Goebbels, Beaverbrook etc, etc, ad nauseum. He who controls the presses, controls the people.

If you only feed the people one side of the story, they will never contradict it.

Ahh . .so you've heard of the BBC / Skynews then ?. . .spacer.png

• 5 years later...

It really does amaze me that this regime hasn't collapsed by now. But I'll wager the real reason it has never collapsed, is because China has supported it in every possible way, whenever it looked like faltering.

That approach is obviously based on the Chinese aim to keep any form of Western Democracy, a good distance from its borders.

But I often wonder if the Chinese start to get worried occasionally, about a nuclear conflict starting on their border, as the Little Fat Wun keeps building bigger and better nukes and ballistic missiles.

They're mad enough to start a nuclear war, and that must make the Japanese lose a lot of sleep at night. 

The Norks made a big scene about blowing up a nuclear test area at Punggye-Ri in 2018 to show they were honest about lowering their nuclear aims, back then - but all that now appears to be forgotten.

Then there was the greatly under-reported nuclear test accident, where a test tunnel collapsed, and reportedly killed around 200 North Koreans. If that report was true, that may have reduced their skilled nuclear staff levels.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/26/asia/north-korea-nuclear-test-site-punggye-ri-intl/index.html

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/10/1127796517/north-korea-confirms-a-simulated-use-of-nukes-to-wipe-out-its-enemies