Silly Picture Thread.

Phil Perry

BMW - Bring Many Wrenches, or Break My Wallet.

A mate has bought one, a late 1990's model, I've never seen such a POS in all my life. Plastic all over the engine, and every piece of it is breaking or broken, the cooling system is utter crap, the overflow bottle fell apart the other day. Most of the switches have electrical gremlins, and the latest news is, it stops when the fuel tank gets below half-full! He hasn't even started to figure out where the problem is with that. The sump gasket is leaking, it's $167 for a sump gasket!! I'd burn the bloody thing and claim insurance on it.

But it's a fabulous-looking machine in appearance, though!

• Informative 1

21 minutes ago, onetrack said:

BMW - Bring Many Wrenches, or Break My Wallet.

A mate has bought one, a late 1990's model, I've never seen such a POS in all my life. Plastic all over the engine, and every piece of it is breaking or broken, the cooling system is utter crap, the overflow bottle fell apart the other day. Most of the switches have electrical gremlins, and the latest news is, it stops when the fuel tank gets below half-full! He hasn't even started to figure out where the problem is with that. The sump gasket is leaking, it's $167 for a sump gasket!! I'd burn the bloody thing and claim insurance on it.

But it's a fabulous-looking machine in appearance, though!

The plastics in the cooling system can be a problem but really after 25 years should have been replaced ie new hoses, water tank and a radiator as well as replaced water pump and belts.

These are all really consumables are are not expensive if you know where to shop, actually cheaper than a bloody Toyota.

The gasket price is gold plated and clearly a rip off.

Several USA based parts suppliers will do parts at 20% of the dealer price for the same OEM parts and deliver cheaply in less than a week. The market is huge so OEM parts are cheap over there.

Here in Aus the cheapest is Tooleyimports.com.au at Frenchs Forest in Sydney, they import the parts direct at a fraction of normal prices. They do Mercedes and Audi/VW parts a well. Family owned and great people.

Also great for advice.

The half tank problem is probably the in tank pickup and filter been displaced or almost completely blocked, there is an additional filter in line under the car and a secondary fuel pump, these should also be checked. If the pressure drops the car will go to limp mode or stops to protect from leaning out and detonation.

Yes, the electrics can be a bit crap at times, as can any car that age. The BMW owners forums are a great resource and solve lots of problems.

Also the biggest issue is peeps never service and oil change as required and this can sludge the engine. The pcv should be replaced when they get old as this can be a issue for performance, oil consumption and causing excess pressure. A major cause of leaks.

The biggest issue is lack of proper servicing as they get old and bought cheaply by peeps who abuse the poor thing and never change fluids etc.

If it's a E39, ie 5s series it's one of the best handling luxury cars ever built and will never be repeated as everything got fat and heavy.  They were very expensive new and are sophisticated and need proper maintenance like any thoroughbred should.

I owned a 540i V8, it was a rocket ship and handled like a proper sportscar.

A imported radiator OEM from the states cost me under $200 delivered via airmail, the local dealer wanted $1200.

Exactly the same Behr product.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I've got a 20 year old Hilux and the only thing I've replaced on it, apart from regular maintenance items is the plastic glovebox catch. Everything else is original, including all the cooling system, all the hoses and all the electrics.

None of them show any sign of deterioration. Every switch and button still works as designed. It still goes perfectly, more than I can say for the average 20 yr old BMW.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

I've got a 20 year old Hilux and the only thing I've replaced on it, apart from regular maintenance items is the plastic glovebox catch. Everything else is original, including all the cooling system, all the hoses and all the electrics.

None of them show any sign of deterioration. Every switch and button still works as designed. It still goes perfectly, more than I can say for the average 20 yr old BMW.

I wouldn't  buy a new Hilux based on that.

Like many products, 'they just don't make em like they used ta!'

• Like 2

BMW 's steer and drive great. What a car turns into depends on who services it after abut 5 years. I used to get  BMW (motorbike for my spouses SCARVER" PARTS from Chattanooga. USA.   I think mid 70s two door coupes would be very collectable actually.. Since the "deal" Abbot did re the bullet proof parliamentary cars I've not been too inclined to like BMW  Australia and let  them know at the time. Not that doing that would make a lot of difference. BMW built a lot of good aero engines. .  Nev

• Like 2