Silly Picture Thread.

Phil Perry

I'm not saying the whole system is not ar5e up. Take this meme from Facebook:-

[ATTACH=full]47576[/ATTACH]

My wife and I are both 72. We are both on the pension. Both our super's are gone, because super didn't start till 1993 and then was only 3%. We haven't been on any fancy trips (well, the Spirit to Tassie isn't exactly an ocean cruise). When I was retrenched, I had to use what personal contributions I had made to super instead of being eligible for unemployment benefit, because it was non-preserved. I now get $330.60 per week pension and so does the wife. With gas, electricity, water bills, etc, my pension is often gone before sunset on pension day. And Mr Smugface says we are getting too much, he can't afford it.

Ahh, but apparently the budget CAN afford $48 billion in tax cuts for Big Business ... That is, those businesses that pay ANY tax.

I'm not saying the whole system is not ar5e up. Take this meme from Facebook:-

[ATTACH=full]47576[/ATTACH]

My wife and I are both 72. We are both on the pension. Both our super's are gone, because super didn't start till 1993 and then was only 3%. We haven't been on any fancy trips (well, the Spirit to Tassie isn't exactly an ocean cruise). When I was retrenched, I had to use what personal contributions I had made to super instead of being eligible for unemployment benefit, because it was non-preserved. I now get $330.60 per week pension and so does the wife. With gas, electricity, water bills, etc, my pension is often gone before sunset on pension day. And Mr Smugface says we are getting too much, he can't afford it.

But just to play devils advocate for a second. The photo does not mention aged pensions at all. It says Newstart. That's the dole.

There's a whole different argument between how much you should pay people who have worked all their lives and paid their taxes and are not ever going to restart working vs. people who are on short term help to hold things together while they look for a job ( vs. lifelong (or potentially lifelong) recipients of "income-equivalent" money which has the potential to remove incentive to actually seek out work and may encourage lifelong and intergenerational dependence on welfare)

I think there is a whole different societal position on aged pensions to Newstart.

You miss the point!

After 50 you will be told to use your super contribution BEFORE getting any Dole/newstart allowance from the (anti)social security.

Thats 15 years off your retirement at 65, so how much super will be available to retire on later,before you have to apply for the government's (not to be proud of, poverty)pension

spacesailor

I was retrenched in 1991 at the age of 47, following the merger of Commercial Bank and the Wales to create Westpac. Two banks merging meant that there were 2 people for every job so they had to rationalise. As the Commercial Bank was the smaller, it was CBAL staff who got retrenched. Most banks were going through a rationalisation /productivity crackdown, so there were hundreds of retrenched staff in a shrinking job market. Compulsory super didn't come in until 1993, so any super was voluntary. Left many up that well known creek, driving some to suicide. Took me 8 years of agency temping before I got a permanent full time job, not easy when you're over 45.

Sounds familiar - as an ex-banker - in fact I worked in the financial services industry all my working life (45 yrs) - was made redundant 3 times, and after the last one decided to hell with them all, and retired. Luckily I had made a couple of good investments, because the chances of me finding another job in my field at 61 were nil. Now I live on the smell of an oily rag so that I can still play with aeroplanes!