Marty_d Posted August 23 Posted August 23 Companies who make profits in Australia often have overseas shareholders. I reckon if you compare remittances to the money going overseas to those shareholders, it'd be a drop in the bucket. 2 2
old man emu Posted September 5 Posted September 5 Here's a thing. Following th disaster in Nepal a few Nepalese residents of Australia have flown back to Nepal to search for relatives. One chap is reported to have hire a helicopter to use somehow. Makes me wonder how these people manage to stack away the ready money to do trips back and forth. I've got to save up the money to pay for the petrol to to go see my kids.
facthunter Posted September 5 Posted September 5 Motivation I would say, How would you know they had the ready money? Maybe they borrowed it? Nev 1
red750 Posted September 16 Posted September 16 If they reduce the number of overseas students, they will increase the uni fees for Australian students. My daughter is a former student at Deakin University and says Australian students pay discounted fees because foreign students paying full fees fund the universities. Take away the foreign students and the universities will have to get their funding elsewhere - Australian students or Australian taxpayers through government funding. 1
old man emu Posted September 16 Posted September 16 What I think is wrong with immigration is the resistance of the "professions" to accept qualifications gained elsewhere. We have a lot of highly qualified persons doing menial work simply because those who run the "professions" set up barriers to the recognition of qualificatins gained elsewhere. 2
nomadpete Posted September 17 Posted September 17 1 hour ago, old man emu said: the resistance of the "professions" to accept qualifications gained elsewhere. This is a symptom of Australia's conservative nature. We don't like change. Back in the 1950's my mum moved from Qld to NSW. She couldn't get a job because NSW did not recignise her qualifications in nursing nor teaching. She had to retrain to get local quals. We haven't got far ahead in 75 years. 1
nomadpete Posted September 17 Posted September 17 There is a valid issue regarding verification of foreign standards, and verification of capability of job applicants. This should be addressed. For instance, back when I worked in TV repair industry, I needed a trade certificate. Some didn't even have that. However, in the UK, a TV repairman was titled an "engineer". In Australia, an engineer has a uni degree. 1
Jerry_Atrick Posted September 17 Author Posted September 17 It's the qualification that is of interest; not the job title.
facthunter Posted September 17 Posted September 17 How many are checked like Professional Pilot's are? None. Nev
pmccarthy Posted September 17 Posted September 17 Some states require engineers to be registered, so they need their qualifications to be recognised. Although I have worked on design/construct projects in Queensland in the past I could not do so now as I am not a Registered Professional Engineer Queensland. (not that I want to!). I the UK you can do your own house wiring.
willedoo Posted September 17 Posted September 17 5 hours ago, nomadpete said: Back in the 1950's my mum moved from Qld to NSW. Pete, that makes you half Queenslander; you might even qualify for a passport. Let me know if you need a reference. 1 1
Jerry_Atrick Posted September 17 Author Posted September 17 (edited) 13 hours ago, facthunter said: Name One Profession then. Nev Doctors. They are tested as much.. if not more. Ask my sister in law what she had to and continually has to go through. Some "lesser" professions they do not accept and you have to start all over again Edited September 17 by Jerry_Atrick 1 1
nomadpete Posted September 17 Posted September 17 3 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said: Doctors. They are tested as much.. if not more. Ask my sister in law what she had to and continually has to go through. I sympathise with your SIL's difficulties. However, I am pleased to hear that there is serious verification of standards. After all, look what happened when we didn't really check the competency of doctors. Jayant Patel is an Indian-American former surgeon and convicted fraudster. Patel was accused of gross negligence whilst working at Bundaberg Base Hospital in Queensland, Australia IIRC his qualifications and history were not verified when he was hired.
facthunter Posted September 18 Posted September 18 Jerry. you obviously have no clue what Airline Pilot checks involve and How frequent and thorough they are. Nev
Jerry_Atrick Posted September 18 Author Posted September 18 (edited) I think I do have a clue of airline pilot conversions and ongoing checks.. We are talking about recognition of foreign qualifications and I would suggest you have no idea of what it takes for a doctor (especially consultant) to be able to practice in Australia when qualified overseas if you think an airline pilot undergoes a more rigorous approach. Let's stop the personal attacks and pissing match baits. And yes, I would like both professions to be rigorously assessed before being allowed to practice. Edited September 18 by Jerry_Atrick
facthunter Posted September 18 Posted September 18 I'm NOT interested in Pissing contests..Just FACTS. Pilot's aren't allowed mistakes and they can kill 100s by making just one, or having some gadget throw a fit. Nev
Jerry_Atrick Posted September 18 Author Posted September 18 I am not sure how that translates to pilots having to undergo more rigorous foreign conversion process than a doctors.. but I may be missing something
old man emu Posted September 18 Posted September 18 5 minutes ago, facthunter said: At no stage did I even Mention conversions. Nev I read Jerry's "conversion" for pilots to mean converting from, say FAA licence to Australian licence. I don't think he meant type conversion. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now