Old Bike Fever!

farri

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks to be a very authentic Indian 741 500cc Scout produced for the military forces in the USA. The war department requested the small engine, which Harley did not agree with, being underpowered, and supplied their WL model 750 as the WLA, of which they made 90,000 and enough parts for another 20,000. They also offered a DELCO engined 1938 BMW flat twin copy with shaft drive but it was not built in any great numbers. Nev

The Henderson is probably a KJ . Their second last model. When the depression started Schwinn closed the books and still make the pushbike of that name. Is your "Duggy" a 1948 dragonfly? I've had a TS, a CW and ridden a speedway model and just talked a mate into buying an OB OHV 600 (1924). Nev

Dunno if that question was aimed at me Nev,. . . .possibly not. . .

Pic sent by my Mate Kev Armstrong,. . .Motorbiker and microlight flyer extraordinaire, and the "Guy Martin" of the Non-TV world in Norhtern England ( Describes himself as an " Uncultured Northern Oik". . .)

I have NO other information on the bike, other than it's been restored ( possibly in the UK ) and Hihosland says it's a "One Off" and I would not argue with the nice chap. . . .( gotta be a nice chap if he rides old bikes and flies AS Well. . . ain't he ? ) . . .I mean we all KNOW YOU ARE. . . .. ( Sir )

>

>

>

(BTW,. . . you couldn't lend me fifty bux until I get my memory back couldya ? ? ? )

The lovely maroon thing is straddled by one of my brothers in NZ.

The bike was sold a couple of years ago and shipped back to the UK,

Re the Henderson;- a quote from Google

via

http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/features/2010/07/15/1930-art-deco-henderson/

The bike belongs to Frank Westfall from Syracuse, NY. According to some info I found online, the bike was originally built by O. Ray Courtney in 1936 and is based on a 1930 K.J Henderson. The bike is powered by inline four cylinder (not a scooter as some have said, check the shot of the motor below) and as I’m sure you can gather by now, is a one-off custom.

What I can confirm is it does run and while it looked a bit unwieldy, Frank could be seen riding the bike around the Fairgrounds all weekend. But let’s be honest here (and maybe I’m wrong) - you don’t have this bike in your stable to go out for a long Sunday afternoon ride to get some ice cream.

That said, it was pretty awesome to see the bike being ridden (even when rain started to come down) instead of being sheltered behind a velvet rope, never to see the rubber touch asphalt again.

The bike is a fantastic piece of history, the craftsmanship is absolutely stunning and it’s surely more of a museum piece than a daily rider. Frank has obviously spent an incredible amount of time meticulously restoring and rebuilding the bike to its current gorgeous state. Hats off to Frank for the amazing work he did and for sharing it with all us gawkers. Frank, if you see this and want to send in more info about the bike, I’d love to share it.

• 3 years later...

The Henderson FOUR underneath is probably fairly standard. The kicker and gearlever are so I doubt much else frame wise underneath has altered. The KJ was the last model made by Excelsior -Henderson They also had a 750 Vee twin excelsior model at the same time first built to replace the 1000 cc series since 1925 with common frame and wheel parts, and they continued only till 1931 when Schwinn( the owner) due to the impending Great depression in the US, decided to cancel out of all orders and wind up the company's motorcycle activities. They continued to make pushbikes which I understand are still made today.. A good KJ will fetch well over $100 K US.. They are quite rideable but faired bikes are more susceptible to winds, more than the unfaired ones were, originally. It's a classy bit of tinwork by any measure.. Nev

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its OK Jerry,

That counts as old enough for me. A fine motorcycle and worthy of a place in the shed.

Keep in mind bikes over 30 years so, 1989 and older are now 'classic' rego .

That means no huge rego rip off just a small fee to enjoy your riding.

Bargain riding if you ask me.

Not so simple. Historic vehicles may be registered under the Conditional Registration Scheme. The registered operator must be a member of a Roads and Maritime recognised historic vehicle club. That means that most of your riding has to be done on a club approved outings. You can't just register a bike under this scheme and go riding whenever you feel like it.

My bike carries normal registration, so I can go riding whenever my wife lets me. What I balk at is the fact that the compulsory third party costs the same for my single occupant bike as it does for one that can carry a pillion.

Looks to be a very authentic Indian 741 500cc Scout produced for the military forces in the USA. The war department requested the small engine, which Harley did not agree with, being underpowered, and supplied their WL model 750 as the WLA, of which they made 90,000 and enough parts for another 20,000. They also offered a DELCO engined 1938 BMW flat twin copy with shaft drive but it was not built in any great numbers. Nev

On the subject of the original post, I had one of these. As far as I know, the RAAF used them. Mine had been bored out to 750cc which was possible because of the thick cylinder walls. Mind you, that was about the limit; you wouldn't want to scrape any more out. I had an old Dusting sidecar which I meant to connect to the Indian, but never got around to doing. From memory, I sold the Indian + sidecar for $80, which was a loss as they owed me about $150.

The Indian had the gearshift on the opposite side to the Harley; you had to take your hand off the throttle to change gears.