Old Bike Fever!

farri

I remember a friend had a Z1 kwaka and I rode it a bit. It felt like it had a hinge in the frame, cheese for forks and brakes that could only be described as optional. The stainless disc brakes were a nightmare in the wet. The motor was strong but wore quickly.

I have had a road bike licence 33 years, still ride and managed to stay upright with no falls/crashes.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the original pipes for a Z1 were over $3000 in the late 1980's. Extortion, especially as they rusted real fast. Same deal for the CB750, a complete ripoff. A carb rebuild kit and carb rubbers could be $1000.

They might have been reliable but amazingly expensive for parts. That's why I went for euro bikes.

Anytime you cast aluminium around cast iron the iron will be annealed (soft) The Kwacka was a bit rubbery around the steering head.. I think it got extra gussets there like many others.. Heavy and weight high up.. Not too bad at the time. The fiberglass on a CB 1100 R was $3800 to replace. in those days. a LOT of dough... Nev

Yep, the price for Honda parts was high even for the Japanese.

The one thing about the Honda though was the very high quality of the thick fiberglass and paint. It sort of made the pain a little bit better.

The BMW fairings were very high quality but much cheaper.

The japs pricing meant they made bikes that were considered a write off even after a small fall.

Add to that engines that stuck out the side very far to account for the stator on the crank end. Many bikes would slide on the cover, abrade through and stuff the motor. A thicker cover would have saved thousands of engines. Other side would have distributer and similar result.

I used to restore bikes for people and the piss poor design ideas had the head scratching and owners crying.

Kwaka are also notorious for the starter clutch which would fail and require a complete engine strip to replace it. Probably the worlds most expensive starter repair.

...I used to restore bikes for people and the piss poor design ideas had the head scratching and owners crying...

Japanese designers have no monopoly on short-sighted design. Older BMWs require a major tear-down to access the input end of the drive shaft for periodic greasing. I suspect Guzzi are the same.

(A factory-trained German mechanic advised me to use Honda grease; he reckoned the BMW stuff was rubbish.)

Meanwhile, the clutches of Japanese shaft-driven bikes run in oil, so the entire shaft gets lots of lubrication.

Much as I prefer shaft drive, they don't last forever and the newer chain drives might have a similar life span.

True the shaft does need maintenance but that was meant to be done when checking the swing arm bearings after many k's. And not a huge job in the end.

Still far less than the multiple Chain and sprocket replacements. Chain drives have got better with high quality chains but still are a consumable. And a disaster when the break.

Horses for courses, for speed racers a chain is better.

...Still far less than the multiple Chain and sprocket replacements. Chain drives have got better with high quality chains but still are a consumable. And a disaster when the break...

A mate had the drive chain break on his K1- Honda 750, doing stupid speed late one night. They ended in a ditch with the chain around his missus' ankle. Because of its poor design, a huge hole was punched in the gearbox casting. My Ducati threw its chain and there was no damage, because the well-designed casting surrounding the drive sprocket spat the chain out. Mind you, that circular cave also prevented me fitting anything larger than a 15-tooth drive sprocket. (I believe Mr. Reynolds advised that chain life would be extended if no sprocket was smaller than 21 teeth.)

About chains being consumables; one mate was a very finicky mechanic and spent a fortune regularly replacing every chain, idler and sprocket on his TX-500 Yamaha- and that motor had mobs of them.

After a few years of this he went totally off complex bikes and bought a Ural, which he loved.

More recently I've been told that newer drive chains last almost as long as a shaft.

Shaft drives get rusty splines . They need regular service weigh a lot, cost a lot to make and get a reaction when engine on/off and you often get tyre clearance problems.. (The FN four had shaft drive in 1904. 115 years ago) Toothed belt is the most practical. and they go 80,000 kms plus with.no maintenance.. Some tried enclosed chain which when it works saves the chain but hard to service. Lambretta Bultaco.. If you want something simple and cheap that you can just put fuel in it and go get a JAWA twin two stroke. Lousy chrome but everything else is solid and lasts. well enough. There's a MATCHLESS with a Rotax four valve four stroke single in it. Quite worthwhile having one of those. or perhaps a 1958 Triumph Thunderbird in good order.. Both good for running around Mornington Peninsula on a warm night. or a weekend rally with friends.. Nev...

"Toothed belt is the most practical. and they go 80,000 kms plus with.no maintenance"Sainty's used to last one day if lucky, !. (Air super-charger belt),

spacesailor

Funny you mention that , his workshop used to be in my street, only a few houses away. Lasting a day is great considering the competition s motors last a mere minute at best.

For those wondering - they are dragster motors.

Naturally shaft drives need to be maintained, but it is not a big deal and far less often than a chain.

Yes they limit the tyre size at the back in general- but a modern shaft BMW has wide back rubber.

The rise and fall issue is not a big deal once you get used to it. Modern Guzzi and BMW bikes have a parrallegram rear end which stops this been a issue.

Weight wise, the BMW system is actually pretty light these days.

The only chain I have ever seen last the life of a bike is one on either a postie or crashed before its time was up. The chain on a modern bike takes a huge amount of power and if used as designed, does not last. Sure a slowly ridden one will last a while on a superbike.

None of my mates have ever got past 70,000 k on a set with religious maintenance.

Back to bikes,

Working on a Hyosung today, a copy of a Suzuki v twin road bike. Not a bad bike but the distributer has pulled out of country. So no bloody parts bar some poorly stocked web places.

Customer can't wait for a shipment from Korea, so have to get creative.

Grumble grumble

When I get a chance, I will photo my brothers oldie.

It a Chinese BMW cum Russian beast, not the best to ride in modern traffic. But a huge laugh to ride sometimes.

The brakes are jam tins for all they help, its 6 volt electrics make Lord Lucas the prince of darkness seen enlightened.

It has a gear lever not pedal and even has reverse gear. Gear changes are a very slow affair but stylish.

The leading link front end is a funky chaos of half blind Chinese designer working from a grainy photo of a German design.

Its carbs are, ahem, not to be confused as good enough for a old ride-on mower.

It has a oil-bath air filter, enough said.

The seat is sprung to keep the spine in one piece on good roads. The rear end is hard with slider style suspension.

The tyres are square-ish, and more suited to a old car trailer.

Its a Chiang Jiang CJ750, designed for a sidecar with a machine gunner for chasing non compliant peasants across the Mongolian Steppe.

This ones painted black, so more a secret police style is warranted. That's not quiet though, as the fish tail pipes, are hollow and wide tailed, combined with the backfiring on the overrun means people know your coming.

It is a blast when ridden in a suitable style.

The perfect antidote to modern life.

Back to the future with a attitude.

When I was a young bloke, I did a trip from Brisbane to Cairns and return with a mate on his Guzzi. I can remember sitting low in the seat compared to my Norton Fastback, and the pots bumping the knees when idling at the lights.

Another thing that impressed me (as a Norton rider), was the fact that you could do a trip like that without breaking down even once.

Yes, I love the Guzzi for compact and sexy with two big jugs sticking out. Combined with the locomotive on speed feel. A feeling of relentless mile eating.

Mine was a modified mk 3 LeMans with a 950 cc kit and a comfy seat modified from a 860 GT Ducati and a stainless guards , round headlight and Laverda 3 way adjustable bars. And pipes from Staintune that didn't wake the dead on start up. My brother had some very fruity reverse cone pipes that had no thought for 3 am rides and angry neighborhood.

Mine was a much better long distance than my brothers rock hard seat and endurance racer stance.

I love every km on that bike.

As a tragic testament to the strength of the design, my brothers bike was a rebuilt with new forks and clamps, fairing and paint.

The rider was on Philip Island on the road and stuck a horse broadside at the old ton over a rise. Sadly he didn't survive, nor did the horse.

The frame was unbent and mechanically the bike was fine.

It went to the frame straightener and he said he had never seen a bent Guzzi frame. The perfect steel frame for low weight and strength.

...Mine was a modified mk 3 LeMans with a 950 cc kit and a comfy seat modified from a 860 GT Ducati and a stainless guards , round headlight and Laverda 3 way adjustable bars...

Stop it! I kicked my addiction, now you're luring me back!

How on earth did you find a Ducati 860 seat to be comfortable?

An old mate eventually woke up to himself after owning a wide selection of bikes and bought a Mk III Le Mans. The one I lusted over. Then he tore off all the plastic and built his ideal long legged touring bike by adding Norton Interstate seat, tank and guards.

My Chinese Bike, a freeby from son-in-law.

Two rides only, after fifty years Everybody was worried I'd break my neck. And it took lots of people to get a helmet onto my head, The biggest they had.

spacesailor

[ATTACH]50075._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Machin250.thumb.jpg.6fd9079a887d7666eef0031a5bff9dac.jpg

My chines Bike, a freeby from son-in-law.Two rides only, after fifty years Everybody was worried I'd break my neck. And it took lots of people to get a helmet onto my head, The biggest they had.

spacesailor

Those hills in the background are very familiar, Spacey. Where?

Wellington. On the other side of the prison when flying from Ywel, over the prison ( illegal ) towards the water-towers.

Used to go to Ywel to check the speed on the hot cars there, before they locked the locals out.Now have to travel to Kandos.

Very close to Rylstone Yryl.

AND as were in "OLD BIKES"

[ATTACH]50077._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Moto Parilla

the motor parilla is a cross, between a rugged off road cycle & an electric-powered motorcycle.

Equipped with eight gears, the bike has a range of 80klmts.

Has a top speed of 29 kph

Neutron electric motorcycle,

Features an A/C induction motor drawing power from a Lithium-ion battery pack

spacesailor

[ATTACH]50076._xfImport[/ATTACH]

BatteryBike.thumb.jpg.bfc72e98ce8b1de5a60256122afa8dff.jpg

Neutron-Bike.thumb.jpg.f8068893a2edd04d64cdfa5b2a3a3ca4.jpg