The perfect towing vehicle?

Marty_d

Interested in opinions as to the best vehicle to drag a smallish caravan, wife and 3 anklebiters around this great land.

Personally I've always loved the look of the Land Rover Defender (110), but from reading up on them I get the impression that comfort and roominess were not priorities in the design (most reviewers agree that rain does not stay on the outside.) Given that the main purpose is to transport the family and tow the little house, comfort and air conditioning are more important than the ability to drive up large trees.

So... Prado, Navara, Pajero, Ranger, etc etc... any advice on the good, the bad and the ugly?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best tow vehicles have a short distance from the tow bar to the rear wheels compared to the wheelbase and generally good handling.

The short rear dimension means that the trailer can't easily push the car around and affect the handling. In this sence the older Land Rover discoveries were good. Not sure about the current ones as I haven't driven one.

Obviously unrelated to flying, unless of course you tow your plane to the airfield... but interested in opinions as to the best vehicle to drag a smallish caravan, wife and 3 anklebiters around this great land.

Personally I've always loved the look of the Land Rover Defender (110), but from reading up on them I get the impression that comfort and roominess were not priorities in the design (most reviewers agree that rain does not stay on the outside.) Given that the main purpose is to transport the family and tow the little house, comfort and air conditioning are more important than the ability to drive up large trees.

So... Prado, Navara, Pajero, Ranger, etc etc... any advice on the good, the bad and the ugly?

The 110 is gutless but the Disco with its V6 Diesel is powerful. If you have plenty if coin, by a V8 diesel cruiser, I carry a load and tow heavy trailers at work with one. It is a great towing vehicle.

The 110 is gutless but the Disco with its V6 Diesel is powerful. If you have plenty if coin, by a V8 diesel cruiser, I carry a load and tow heavy trailers at work with one. It is a great towing vehicle.

I'd agree there, Dazza, regarding the V8 Cruiser's towing ability. The ultimate toy would be the 7.3lt. diesel V8 F-250 for towing. Driven right, 15 mpg. solo or towing a fair size van, little difference in fuel consumption (6 speed manual, that is). I have known of them being bailed up out in the desert with electronic problems, though.

Cheers, Willie.

A 3.5 petrol 98 please consider pajero.... heaps of power, perfect ratios..but heavy on juice when your not towing... cost $6000 sell $5500 when finished with it... then full 4x4 capabilities when needed and up high enough to see everything when driving along...

For me never never never tour in a low rise car...you miss way too much... the extra fuel of a tall vehicle is worth it every cent everytime... nothing worse than driving within a tunnel of vegetation or guard rails when your whole purpose is to SEE Australia

If you want to see australia buy a vehicle you can actually see the landscape as you drive along...eg and SUV or 4x4 or truck / bus

We had a diesel pajero (dad still has a pajero now). We always had a good run out of them although I wouldn't be buying one with more than 200,000 on the clock. Our 98 model pajero got to 270,000 before we sold it but it was blowing smoke and getting tired by then. It got thrashed though, it's last hundred thousand Ks were spent half on gravel and two thirds at WOT. We then had a 2004 model 3.2 di-d which we sold at 340,000 Ks and the only major problem was a gearbox at 260,000 and fairly substantial cracking through the frame from the same half life of corrugated gravel two thirds WOT. We got the same cracking in our later model hiluxes when out west, just not built like they used to be but not a problem for the majority of users.

Landcruisers seem to avoid the cracking issues but we had problems with diffs needing welding at most services. And they use a lot more fuel than the pajeros. Dad's common rail pajero gets 8L per 100 whereas our 200 series sits on 12. If thinking of towing I would definately do my utmost to avoid a petrol!

I would prefer to tow with a pajero than the old landcruisers turbo diesel but the new v8 diesels go good.

I don't really have experience with much else, I do like what I hear about the Dmax and our neighbour has a VW Amarok which he is happy with. My inlaws had a VW toureg which could nearly level peg with a v8 commodore (that's not a lie, he was at my boot until nearly changing into third in the commodore then the commodores long legs came out but for a diesel I was mega impressed!)

Personally I've always loved the look of the Land Rover Defender (110),

Send me your address and I'll send you a hammer free of charge so you can belt your feet with it, in the long run it will be less painful.

Absolute pieces of crap, oh but you guys who have successfully owned one, or a Jeep, please chime in and tell us the awesome run you've had, but what about the other half who have owned them. There's this new fangled thing called the Internet, get on it for 10 minutes and find out all the info you need on any vehicle you think of, Google something like "Land Rover problems". Can't believe the people who buy VWs, Fiats, Jeeps, Renaults, Land Rovers etc without 10 simple minutes of searching on the internet for the horror stories.

Nev's got the best idea, Falcon wagon on gas, cheap and if it stops who cares, get it fixed for next to nothing anywhere in Australia. Holdens, Falcons and Land Cruisers/Prados/HiLux with mentions for Pajeros and Patrols are designed for Australia and damn hard to beat for towing a Caravan around Australia. There is no other realistic choice and a damn good and proven reason why these are the majority of vehicles you see 'outback'.

Be realistic Marty, do a water pump or hit a 'roo halfway up West Australia - what vehicle do you want to be in when that happens?

Personally the BMW x5 diesel is a brilliant bit of kit, if you don't need massive tow weights. They are very powerful, economical and a lovely drive. Not cruiser tough but still very capable and a light year ahead for the occupants comfort.

10k-15k will get a really good one, for general touring and towing around OZ, hard to beat.

Given you have a wife and 3 ankle biters to keep happy- the X5 is a winner. Most even have the TV's in the back to keep them under control.

The tough stuff might be good in a dirt track tour but are crap comfort wise and a real chore to drive on a long tour. And the drive will be so much more enjoyable- after all isn't that what you want a enjoyable trip?

If you are not hamfisted with a spanner, they are just as easy to service as any tough beast, and no more expensive to service. In fact via the US the parts are dead cheap- they are made in Spartanburg, Alabamha, USA.

A new factory radiator, water pump and hoses is less than $500. Try that on a Pajero or cruiser.

Personally the BMW x5 diesel is a brilliant bit of kit,

What are you, a bloody BMW salesman?

Firstly Google "X5 rear tyre wear" and then tell me that's the vehicle you want to be in as a rock goes through the diff on the Barkly Hwy just as you cross the NT/Qld border .... oh it's ok, we'll just order the parts from "Spartanburg USA".

This is Australia Hans.

The tough stuff might be good in a dirt track tour but are crap comfort wise and a real chore to drive on a long tour.

What a load of crap, you haven't ridden in anything post 1970 obviously.

This year I have done long trips in a 2012 V8 Cruiser (to the Gobi desert and back no less) and a 2010 Pajero down to New England and back to Brissy (last week), uber comfort. I had a Hyundai Tucson old shitebox as a daily for a bit too last year.

A new factory radiator, water pump and hoses is less than $500. Try that on a Pajero or cruiser.

You forgot to add the Motel bills; Any country town has them new and used, that's the point regardless of cost being higher or lower.

Bye bye.

I have been towing caravans for the last 20 years fairly regularly and before that I lived in a big one. My opinion is don't touch a Land rover of any sort. They used to be considered wonderful by the motoring press, but people who owned them had to be enthusiasts. They are expensive new and cheap second hand, does that tell you anything.

I agree with the advice to steer clear of low cars, you are much better off in a 4WD.

I had one of the old original Nissan Patrols, nothing would break it, but it brokeme, just too uncomfortable. Then I had an original Toyota, short wheelbase Landcruiser. Again unbreakable and un comfortable. A Toyota 4Runner was ideal, except low on power with a 204 diesel. I now have what I consider the ideal vehicle. A Toyota Prado diesel. Reliable, economical and comfortable.

Friends have used Prados and they seem good, but don't seem to last as long as Toyota. Other friends have Nissans and they go well, but seem to use more fuel, plus they soon develope body rattles.

There's many different forms of caravanning. These days the roads are fairly good and I question whether the average person needs Four wheel drive. Some do as they go out into the remote places where Triton and Nissan Navara chassis break and you need a really robust caravan, or it falls apart too. Some have giant Winnebago set ups with a Suzuki car in tow. Probably 350 grand's worth They certainly won't go to remote areas , and can hardly turn around in a caravan park. unless it's empty, and you can't level them on uneven ground.

Some old folks make do with a high mileage Old HI ACE van and an annexe. That would surely be the cheapest Way to go. I usually take motorbikes so that decides I take a van as a tow vehicle and a light weight caravan. (currently an antique pop up made by Peter's Ice Cream at Adelaide. Not a big investment, but it's stinking hot if you are not in shade and erect it much before sundown in the heat.)

From what I can see a Pajearo diesel does an fairly good job for what it is. But there isn't enough room in any normal FWD to carry much, if you have more than normal. For some of the older ones I believe transmission parts are not available. Nev

VW Touareg, V6 turbo diesel, 8 speed auto. Heavy duty towbar, 3.5T capacity.

Yeah sure, it most likely spews out emissions when nobody's looking, but it's a great towing vehicle. Yes we own a 4.2TD Landcruiser too, but the VW is nicer for towing.

VW are nice but have some insane parts prices. Like Hyundai, fine when they are newish, if older you might as well own a Porsche or Merc when it comes to repairs. Crooks really. And in VW's case literally.

The OP didn't mention a price range - it probably boils down to newer vehicle ($$ to buy) or older ($$ to repair) as the brand choices will be different based on repair / running costs / parts availability.

A lot of them have very small motors working hard. and very expensive transmissions. The best I've seen is an earlier Landcruiser with a v8 Humzee diesel and US built auto ( all New) fitted for under 12K. But again I question why have six tonnes plus, going with you.? Nev

The perfect tow vehicle.

Will tow anything all day.

660HP. Runs on Diesel.

Very comfortable.

High seating position gives good vision.

Extra large bunk would be easily removable to fit seating for the rug rats.

Ticks all the boxes in the OP.

Oh and you can moonlight with it through the week.

Don't thank me. You are welcome.

[ATTACH]47729._xfImport[/ATTACH]

271823261_FH16001.thumb.JPG.8596d07c547d88608c85f16f955472b9.JPG

I am now on my second Pajero. First was a 2004, current is a 2009. Both turbo diesel. Neither has caused the slightest problem and are quite economical (or were until I put a roof rack and awning on them). The new one is rated to tow 3 tonnes but I'd never hang that much off it. Very comfortable to drive and very capable off the beaten track. A few things to keep an eye on including suspension bushes that can flog out and cause alignment and tyre wear issues but overall I think they are good value for money.

Cheers

Chris

VW are nice but have some insane parts prices. ..... Crooks really. And in VW's case literally

Had a VW for 9 years since new - 160,000km. Parts replaced so far: Tyres; brake pads & discs and one O2 sensor. Pretty happy with both the price of parts and the infrequent need to buy them.

I am now on my second Pajero. First was a 2004, current is a 2009. Both turbo diesel. Neither has caused the slightest problem and are quite economical (or were until I put a roof rack and awning on them). The new one is rated to tow 3 tonnes but I'd never hang that much off it. Very comfortable to drive and very capable off the beaten track. A few things to keep an eye on including suspension bushes that can flog out and cause alignment and tyre wear issues but overall I think they are good value for money.

Cheers

Chris

But Chris, You know what Pajero means in spanish slang don' t you? :whisper:Not sayin' you are one, but...... I wouldn't want to be labeled one because of my car choice......spacer.png