The perfect towing vehicle?

Marty_d

The original question was for a smallish caravan. So I would say that a Landcruiser or big V8 of any brand would be overkill. The poster with a Pajero is on his second one and I am still on a Prado as old as his original. I have spent up big on oil filter and oil changes and Cooper tyres, but it has only done about 350000km.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to remember is that the max towing weight reduces considerably when the vehicle pay load is increased. The advertise max 3500 kg towing weight in most double cab utes is only available when the vehicle is virtually unladen. Something to keep in mind.

But Chris, You know what Pajero means in spanish slang don' t you? :whisper:Not sayin' you are one, but...... I wouldn't want to be labeled one because of my car choice......spacer.png

Yeah, I heard that too, and my brother had one for years which gave me some amusement. However I'd be willing to put up with the label if the vehicle is good. (And by the way, any bloke that says he's not, is lying....)

Re caravan, probably looking at a Jayco Eagle or similar, so quite small. Probably don't need the big V8's.

I agree Nev in most circumstances the Falcon would be the simplest and cheapest solution, unfortunately we live down a steep dirt driveway. Currently we have a Subaru Forester which is fine for dragging a 6x4 trailer full of rubbish to the tip, but it's wouldn't be the perfect tow vehicle.

Leaning towards the Prado. Budget would probably be in the 15-18k range I guess.

our 2007 Pajero diesel is a great towing vehicle. V reliable, economical, drives well. One silly design fault is where the spare is: right in the middle at the back; it should be off to one side. So you may need a spare wheel lift kit if you fit a towbar. They are very capable off and on road.

If you buy a Jayco, just remember that they changed their off road vans name to the outback range . Why do you ask ? Because they will not warrant any claims for vans taken off the bitumen. They fall the bits. Caravanning forums are full of threads on the subject.

There's a boom in them at the moment. The off road ones are much heavier and dearer. Why not disc brakes? Any stability system needs discs, But why is bigger. better? If it's just like home it's not a holiday. It's what's outside the caravan not what's inside that you are on holiday for. Nev

There's a boom in them at the moment. The off road ones are much heavier and dearer. Why not disc brakes? Any stability system needs discs. Nev

My parents have a Jayco Nev. They are fine as long as the owners realise that you get what you pay for.

They went from a Coromal van. I can tell the difference in quality. They own a Nissan Patrol petrol on gas, a great towing vehicle ( but not as good as my TD42T Patrol) . They leave SE QLD and head to the Townsville area for 6 months of the year to escape the QLD weather lol. But each to their own. The Jayco is a foot shorter than their previous Coromal van but heaps lighter.

There is nothing wrong with Jayco for the price. If I was buying a van, I would buy an Elite but they are expensive.

We used to do a lot of towing in the UK with caravans, trailers etc.

Mainly we used a Mitsubishi L200 2.5 turbo diesel (Triton in Oz?) that was fantastic but potentially a bit too agricultural for a long journey (rather noisey engine!) with the family

We also used a Jeep Cherokee KK CRD that we were happy with. Downside to the Cherokee is that three kids in the back could be impossible if they all need car seats and the rear luggage area is a bit pathetic.

Rather than wasting money on the vehicle and van invest the money wisely and use the dividends to fund a luxury holiday for you and the missus each year. As far as the kids go, boarding school is the go.

Beats dragging a van around this wide brown land with the other 200,000 grey nomads !

Rather than wasting money on the vehicle and van invest the money wisely and use the dividends to fund a luxury holiday for you and the missus each year. As far as the kids go, boarding school is the go.Beats dragging a van around this wide brown land with the other 200,000 grey nomads !

You sound like my missus. There is no argument that stands up to your post. Its like the difference to hiring an aircraft to buying one.

You sound like my missus. There is no argument that stands up to your post. Its like the difference to hiring an aircraft to buying one.

I had this nightmare, where having dragged a van up the west coast of Oz I find myself in a crowded council park surrounded by like minded nomads each with a Coolibah cask of sav Blanc discussing the price of fuel And passing round the Jatz and cheese. It's a big incentive to keep flying.

I had this nightmare, where having dragged a van up the west coast of Oz I find myself in a crowded council park surrounded by like minded nomads each with a Coolibah cask of sav Blanc discussing the price of fuel And passing round the Jatz and cheese. It's a big incentive to keep flying.

Hanging around till pension day so they can buy the fuel to move on to the next park.

Rather than wasting money on the vehicle and van invest the money wisely and use the dividends to fund a luxury holiday for you and the missus each year. As far as the kids go, boarding school is the go.Beats dragging a van around this wide brown land with the other 200,000 grey nomads !

Boarding school? You must be joking. If they don't get molested by the staff or older kids, they spend years with no parental affection and end up psychologically scarred. Just read Stephen Fry's autobiography.

Looking at the price of 2nd hand vans, they don't lose much value anyway. My thought is, buy one, do a couple of years camping, sell it. If the kids absolutely love camping then keep it a few years longer and sell it for a bit less.

Bottom line is, the missus wants to do it, the kids'll get a bit of education about the big island up north, so it's going to happen.

What are you, a bloody BMW salesman?

Firstly Google "X5 rear tyre wear" and then tell me that's the vehicle you want to be in as a rock goes through the diff on the Barkly Hwy just as you cross the NT/Qld border .... oh it's ok, we'll just order the parts from "Spartanburg USA".

This is Australia Hans.

What a load of crap, you haven't ridden in anything post 1970 obviously.

This year I have done long trips in a 2012 V8 Cruiser (to the Gobi desert and back no less) and a 2010 Pajero down to New England and back to Brissy (last week), uber comfort. I had a Hyundai Tucson old shitebox as a daily for a bit too last year.

You forgot to add the Motel bills; Any country town has them new and used, that's the point regardless of cost being higher or lower.

Bye bye.

Man calm down.

No I am not a BMW salesman but have worked on heaps of them and know a lot of mates with them.

Yes rear tyre wear can be a problem on the sport models- caused by the rear bushes being stuffed- replace them with poly bushes. Problem solved.

You buy the pump, radiator etc and replace them before a big round OZ trip if worried. Or keep them in the van in case- thus you will never need them (boy scout trick be prepared).

How is the diff going to be cracked any easier than in a toyota- others have posted they need regular welding at service on their cruiser.

Since the idea was a light van hence not a offroad one- offroad toughness is not a big requirement.

Nor is going to the Gobi desert or Simpson on sand.

And yes I have been in all the newer Cruisers and Pajeros etc- not even close in comfort.

And my name is Phil not bloody Hans.

Boarding school? You must be joking. If they don't get molested by the staff or older kids, they spend years with no parental affection and end up psychologically scarred. Just read Stephen Fry's autobiography.

Looking at the price of 2nd hand vans, they don't lose much value anyway. My thought is, buy one, do a couple of years camping, sell it. If the kids absolutely love camping then keep it a few years longer and sell it for a bit less.

Bottom line is, the missus wants to do it, the kids'll get a bit of education about the big island up north, so it's going to happen.

Try and pick a van with a good name. The resale value is worth it. Australians make great vans but the companies vary. If you pick up a van with cruise master suspension , great. This is only my opinion, I have been researching caravans and camper trailers for a couple of years.

It is all a lifestyle choice. Caravans aaaarrrgghh. Been there done that. I see what arrives at our Caravan Park every day. Most cost over 50k with a tow vehicle of 50 to 80k. Then you have the maintenance, running cost plus the cost to park the thing plus store it when not in use & you have to go outside to get anything. Me I spend nothing up front, fly to where I want to go, live in a 5 star luxury hotel & get everything laid on. I can also hire a wreck & get back to nature if I want. All at a fraction of the total cost of 4WD/caravan ownership/operation. I've made my lifestyle choice.

It is all a lifestyle choice. Caravans aaaarrrgghh. Been there done that. I see what arrives at our Caravan Park every day. Most cost over 50k with a tow vehicle of 50 to 80k. Then you have the maintenance, running cost plus the cost to park the thing plus store it when not in use & you have to go outside to get anything. Me I spend nothing up front, fly to where I want to go, live in a 5 star luxury hotel & get everything laid on. I can also hire a wreck & get back to nature if I want. All at a fraction of the total cost of 4WD/caravan ownership/operation. I've made my lifestyle choice.

Good for you mate and I look forward to similar holidays when the kids are grown up. At the moment though this is the way it is.

Try and pick a van with a good name. The resale value is worth it. Australians make great vans but the companies vary. If you pick up a van with cruise master suspension , great. This is only my opinion, I have been researching caravans and camper trailers for a couple of years.

What's your pick of the small expandables? (Caravan not camper trailer that is).

What's your pick of the small expandables? (Caravan not camper trailer that is).

Hard to say in case I am wrong, Coromal, Roadstar are good vans. I know Billabong make good vans but I am sure I am missing mentioning other great manufacturers. I don't own a van but things to look out for are things like - are the cuboard hinges full lenght aka piano hinges, or are they normal hinges like held by 6 or 8 screws per hinge A Billabong salesman showed me this.

If you google swagman forum, they will point you in the right direction. Just remember like aircraft, everything is built to a price point. As mentioned above ELITE build Imo great vans here in oz. But they cost a ship load.

My current rig has a total value of less than 10K. The pop up owes me $1600 with microwave and chassis extension at the front to enable rear van doors( Tow vehicle) to be opened when pop top fully up, and the fitment of 2 large lockable tool boxes on the forward frame. Usual consumption around 11 litres /100 kms. Not over capitalised. Nev