The perfect towing vehicle?

Marty_d

The perfect tow vehicle.Will tow anything all day.

660HP. Runs on Diesel.

Very comfortable.

High seating position gives good vision.

Extra large bunk would be easily removable to fit seating for the rug rats.

Ticks all the boxes in the OP.

Oh and you can moonlight with it through the week.

Don't thank me. You are welcome.

[ATTACH=full]38275[/ATTACH]

Geoff, don't forget the added expense of AdBlue..... and that stuff is pretty hard to come by in most rural and remote communities (except if you carry it with you in those rather bulky 15 litre jug packs)....

My choice would be any pre-2003 Toyota 4WD (Hilux, Landcruiser, et. al.)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say in case I am wrong, Coromal, Roadstar are good vans. I know Billabong make good vans but I am sure I am missing mentioning other great manufacturers. I don't own a van but things to look out for are things like - are the cuboard hinges full lenght aka piano hinges, or are they normal hinges like held by 6 or 8 screws per hinge A Billabong salesman showed me this.If you google swagman forum, they will point you in the right direction. Just remember like aircraft, everything is built to a price point. As mentioned above ELITE build Imo great vans here in oz. But they cost a ship load.

Dazza

Coromals are great vans especially if you get one earlier than 2011 models I think, after 2011 they get the interiors made and flat packed out of China same as Jayco does and they are crap and nothing like the earlier models which have beaut Aussie timbers that hold up

As for me I picked up a great 2007 Coromal Corvair 541 just recently (Darby & Joan van as my wife says 2 berth)

tow vehicle is a 2008 2 litre 127kw 360nm TD Xtrail manual and tows beautifully, only had to fit poly airbags under the rear as Nissan don't advise or warrant using level riders as is with most Nissan vehicles these days

Why pre-2003, Joe?

Marty, I have seen a 2003 Hilux 4WD with gearbox problems - when they made the gearbox and transfer case, they machine each part of the gearbox separately instead of as a complete unit..... everything is out of sync and causes monumental nightmares. Plus any Hilux made post-2003 is made in Thailand - pre-2003's were made in Japan

IMO the likes of a Manual Patrol with Free wheeling Hubs for Heavy Vans. You can reverse in Low Range 2wd getting into tight spots. Brother had a 200 Series GXL with a 22' Fibregass Golf and did a few laps and had to replace two front diffs as AWD. I currently have a Auto 2012 Navara 2.5 towing 1.2T Horse Float + up to 1.2T of Horse. Standard 131kw at rear wheels. Had a CPU upgrade now 153kw (206hp).

It all depends on your budget, followed by your 'must haves', Marty.

Anecdotally - I met a Toyota mechanic from Weipa a couple of years back, who said that newer Landcruisers have diff problems ( he said they were Hilux diffs & too light for Cruisers). Everyone up the Cape were changing to Patrols. He was driving a Landrover Defender and said that the only time it needed attention in 180,000k was for logbook service. And that was for Cape York 'roads'. But you probably won't be going all the way to the top anyway.

If you are planning a conventional tourist drive, I wouldn't be looking for a 'big' 4wd. You can see most of Australia now without reliving a Leyland Brothers adventure. If you go with a pop top van, Pick a good highway waggon with good luggage space behind the seats. Then get it into top condition before you leave.

I have used humble vehicles in great outback places - not a problem as long as you are well prepared and drive carefully.

Whatever you finally choose, and whichever way you go, you won't regret the journey.

Also, beware of any of the twin cab utes.

Google twin cab bent chassis. Unfortunately even the 'unbreakable' Hilux is vulnerable. I have read of this happening even when all loading was well within the POH MTOW, etc.

I drive a 2010 Navara twin cab and have not had a problem, but being aware of the weakness makes me careful when loaded or towing.

Unless you are setting out to go on the real bush tracks or put a big boat in the water, I reckon you can get away without 4 WD. Nev

Yeah, but the thing about the 4wd, is it has the tow bar bolted to something of substance. I remember a panelbeater mate telling me you could pick whether a tow bar was fitted to the xd family of Falcons without walking around the back, there is an obvious stretch mark in the top of the rear quarter panel in line with the rear pillar. There are not many left on the road now, but when you see one next, check it out. spacer.png

XD Falcons are famous for self stretching the body.

I remember my misspent youth, working as mechanics aid after school. He was a ex RAAF mech, and had a 351 V8 XD. The body was stretched and cracked in the C pillars- never towed in its life.

Purely the torque of the engine twisting the car of shape. I expect it was crap steel and nowhere near enough spot welds. Later models got better- more welds. Same happens with EA falcons- EB had a lot more spot welds and was much stronger.

AS for a tough tow sedan- I had a 740 Volvo, was tough as nails and towed a horse float with relative ease. Built like a lightweight tank, but comfy (looked like a tank as well).

XD's are going back a long way. They hardly weighed anything. Increasing the number of spot welds makes the vehicle too stiff. Guarantee's you will break a pillar eventually. Most modern vehicles are very strong back to the rear of the front seat. They all have thick pillars you can't see around as a consequence. Nev

Good info guys.

I was speaking to my mechanic today (he's swapping out the rear struts in the Forester wagon) and asked his opinion.

He recommends the dual cab Ford Ranger / Mazda BT50 - alternatively even our 2005 Forester would be ok with a small pop top van, especially with the new self levelling struts.

Purely for cost I might just keep the Subie - it's got 130,000 on the clock and not bad nick. Love the look of the newer Prado's (and the 7 seat thing would be great for separating kids) - but honestly we have better things to spend our dosh on!

I have recently driven

Mazda BT50 / Ford Ranger

Prado

Hilux twin cab

Isuzu D-max

Nissan Navara D40

Nissan X-trail

Hyundai SantaFe

I am 6'1" and have trouble with the seating position of many of these, on longer trips. Say 2 to 3 hours.

Anyway, of those listed, I would opt for the Prado. Good ride, good handling, tows well.

Most disappointed in Isuzu - it drove poorly on dirt roads (axle hops on bumps). Poor finish and ride.

SantaFe is good value for money. Goes very well on highway & comfy & fuel efficient, but I won't be taking it anywhere off road. Haven't towed anything with it though so can't comment on that.

My Navara is more road friendly than the Hilux. Quieter & smoother. Also the long wheelbase makes it a predictable tow car.

These are my opinions based on my experiences in the CSG area near Roma, a lot of miles on all road surfaces. Hope it helps.

Marty:

We have a 2009 Toyota Rav V6. We bought it to tow the trike on a trailer when we have it. It will pass slower drivers going up hill with a trailer behind. They are fairly plain when it comes to bells and whistles that some other show ponies have like bluetooth connections between the stereo and iPods etc, but they are rock solid good quality vehicles with bucketloads of power. The Kluger has the same engine, but the extra body weight loads the engine down a bit more. For the bit of extra luxury, you lose a bit of performance.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I like Subaru. Haven't driven the most recent two models though. I would have thought they might be lacking power to tow anything bigger than a small pop top. Maybe the recent ones have more grunt. The earlier ones are a bit cramped for a family of five for anything other than short trips. Not saying it can't be done, but there are compromises there. I drove a 19 year old Subie across the middle of Aust and back without any problem, but it wouldn't have towed a trailer!

It is a bit gutless, but I'll test drive any pop top we're looking at and see how it goes. Being a late 2005 XS it only has 121kW (compared to Scott's Rav 4 with 200kW!) - in any case, it's towed a ton of loaded trailer before and the Jayco pop-tops are all around that. Not sure how it'd go on a long journey.

Most of Australia is pretty flat so if you can fit your collection of people into the Suby, don't be afraid to do a shakedown camping trip with it. See how that works out. In any case it probably needs an oil cooler. Is it ARO or manwell?

Auto. I'll ask the mechanic about the oil cooler. Getting a van up and down our drive will be the test - you'll see what I mean when you drop in!