Human life is over-valued

pmccarthy

54 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

Ask yourself how much, as a proportion of your assets and wealth, you'd give to save the life of your child.

Then come back and tell me life is over valued.

I know the answer from experience of my partner, 13 years of cancer .

I gave everything, every cent, every effort. I am poor now but rich that she lived longer and was in my life.

Something's are more valuable than any number, trinket or asset.

How much would I give to save her or a child?

Simple, 

I would give my Life.

The most and only valuable thing we have.

• Winner 4

20 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

I'm not sure about the English and Welsh laws valuing life. Up to the late 18th century people were still being executed for small thefts, there was a long list of capital crimes. Transportation was the alternative when available.

Ahh.. Yes... life was less valuable if you were a low-life criminal. You weren't British, then.

• Like 1

And I don't think they denounced the big fella.. I think they don't accept him as god (how can the son of god be god, unless, of course, god has died.... which he can't apparently)...

Even evidence suggests it was the Romans and not the Jews who crucified him... But that is second and third hand off the internet, so could be to total crock...

• Like 1

The religious leaders, who were the ones whose position of control of the people was shaky because of Christ's philosophy, could have ordered him stoned to death, but doing that to a celebrity would cause a backlash. So they went to the Romans and, taking his words out of context, presented a case that he was just another anti-roman rebel who was fomenting revolution against the Romans.

• Like 1

Not christians, those Jews and Moslems, but Abrahamic religions for sure. These days, Abraham would have been locked away as a "criminally insane" type, on account of he reckoned God was telling him to murder his kids.

Personally, I prefer the old viking gods....  at least they had Freya, and a woman is a welcome change from the all-male triumvirate of the father, son and the holy ghost.

There was 1. judaism  2 christianity 3. islam and they are all Abrahamic religions.

The moslems reckon that christians have rejected the true god in favor of some incomprehensible nonesense about a trinity.

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Most Bibles have his name as the " Author " .

Many people think that it’s so named because James had a hand in writing it, but that’s not the case. As king, James was also the head of the Church of England, and he had to approve of the new English translation of the Bible, which was also dedicated to him. There’s no single author. One individual—Richard Bancroft, the archbishop of Canterbury—was notable for having the role of overseer of the project, something akin to a modern editor of a collection of short stories. The actual translating (writing) of the KJV was done by a committee of 47 scholars and clergymen over the course of many years. So we cannot say for certain which individual wrote a given passage.

• Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

From the depths of the crypt at st Giles

Came a scream that re-echoed for miles

Said the vicar" good gracious

Has father Ignacious

Forgotten the bishop has piles?"

( from the Alice Springs school in 1960 I think. were they  Anglicans, I wonder)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

His land-rover had a clip-on folding shovel, and he decided to surreptitiously bury the dog and pretend he never saw it.

Clang! the shovel hit an old urn and a genii appeared when charles wiped off some mud. " since we have been thatcherised" the genii said, "you have one wish".

Charles, not being too slow, said " can you fix this corgi up so I don't get into trouble?"

The genii pulled long on his goatee and finally said " I'm a very powerful genii, but bringing something back from the dead is a big ask...  can you try again?"

Charles thinks....  he says " can you make my mum like Camilla?"

The genii pulls on his goatee even longer than before... finally he says " lets have another look at that Corgi"...

• Haha 2

I'm trying to buy a cheap amplifier stethoscope, but there are sites used to selling to the medical profession and they are too expensive for me....  any assistance would be welcome.

( cheap for me is less than $100 for a good-quality thing)