How a reflector gunsight works

old man emu

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EhbX3hSTFXk

There's something unusual in the above video. It looks like the block cappers have been previously laid on a mortar bed and then removed to film the domino effect once the mortar has set. Right at the end of the video you can see the cappers sitting on a bed joint and if you freeze frame while they are falling, you can see they are not standing flush on the blocks. Maybe it works better if you do that.

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1

I saw another clip of an Israeli missile dropping a four story building in Gaza. The missile hit at street level right on the outer edge of the building and it pancaked straight down like a controlled demolition. A lot of them seem to do that. I think that apart from bad concrete and reinforcing, they must have terribly inadequate footings to drop like that. The flattening of the buildings seems out of proportion to the blast force of the missiles. Weak or barely existing footings is the only thing I can think of that would cause that effect. A hit like that on a normally constructed building would blow out a large chunk of the building but not drop it flat in one hit. Maybe they are using a specific bunker busting missile that penetrates deep and wrecks any footings.

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Concrete has little tensile strength so would need Reo. How would it take shock also? Make it in fake spider web. That's about the strongest thing ever  Nev

Normal concrete doesn't have tensile strength.   Guessing you can add fibres to the mix that would improve it considerably. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Marty_d said:

Normal concrete doesn't have tensile strength.   Guessing you can add fibres to the mix that would improve it considerably. 

Heard of Hempcrete?

There is a house in Franklin being built, supervised appropriately by Grand Designs film crew.

• Informative 2

Sorry, Spacey, but many civilisations were sailing around the Mediterranean before the Rape of the Sabine women, an incident in Roman mythology in which the men of Rome committed a mass abduction of young women from the other cities in the region.

The word "rape"  meaning "kidnap" is the conventional translation of the Latin word raptio used in the ancient accounts of the incident. Modern scholars tend to interpret the word as "abduction" or "kidnapping" as opposed to a sexual assault.

The term "rape and plunder" does not mean to defile women and carry off property. In this phrase "rape" is from the 14th Century meaning , rapen, "seize prey; abduct, take and carry off by force," and was appeared in alliterative or rhyming phrases, such as rape and renne (late 14c.) "seize and plunder.". "Plunder"  arrived around 1630 from German plündern, from Middle High German plunderen "to plunder," originally "to take away household furniture,".

Here's a word that deserves more usage: Plunderbund , a U.S. colloquial word from 1914 referring to "a corrupt alliance of corporate and financial interests," from plunder with the German Bund "alliance, league". Not that anything like those sort of thing exists today.

• Like 1

Only those Poms from the northeast of England in the part that was known as the Danelaw, mostly around Yorkshire. That's because the Vikings decided to settle there because Scandinavia could not support the population. So the Vikings became part of the community and inter-married. Also don't forget that the Normans (the name is a corruption of North men) were of Viking ancestry.

The raiding only happened sporadically between 780 to 850. The colonisation, or Danelaw period was peaceful from 865 to 954. between 980 and 1016, there was conflict between the Anglo-Saxons and the Scandinavians, which ended in victory for King Cnut. Things remained peaceful until 1066 when Harald Hardrada, King of Norway, led an invasion of England in 1066 with 300 longships and 10,000 soldiers, attempting to seize the English throne during the succession dispute following the death of Edward the Confessor. He met initial success, but was defeated by King Harold Godwinson at the Battle of Stamford Bridge.

• Informative 1

The Vikings also had a permanent settlement in the Wirral and Merseyside area south of Liverpool. They initially settled in the land between the Mersey and Dee and spread out a bit from there. Starting in 902A.D., settlers were initially Norsemen driven out of Ireland, but were later joined by fellow Scandinavians from the Isle of Man, the Isles of Scotland and the Viking homelands of Norway and Denmark. Researchers did some DNA sampling of men from the area with surnames predating the industrial revolution and found 50% had Norse ancestry.

There's a possibility I might be in that category. My great grandparents came from Shropshire, but the surname has it's history in Wirral. The brother had his DNA done so I might ask him. Neither of us have had an interest in rowing or pillaging, so maybe not.

• Like 2

I hate to think the variety of ancestors in my DNA. An English father from Portsmouth and a Scottish mother from Dunfermline.

My mother said her father always asked her, when she was with a new bloke, "So, I see ye've got a man? Whut's his name?" If she said, "McGregor", the response would be, "Ahhh, fine name, that!".

If she said "Smith", her Dad would growl, "Acchh!! A Sassenach!!"

Had to smile when Mum was bragging about her fine, pure-bred clan McLean ancestry, in front of an Auntie (her older sister).

Auntie comes out with, "Whut a load o' rubbish! We're a pack of half-breeds! The Spanish Armada got wrecked on the coast of Scotland, and the Scottish lassies welcomed and took in those dark handsome Spanish men, wi' great pleasure!"

Mum was shocked. "No-o-o!!! Surely not!!" ... Auntie, "I'm tellin' ye like it wus!"

I reckon I've probably got Viking, Scandinavian, French, Spanish, Scottish, English, Welsh and perhaps even Irish DNA. I had brown hair as a youngster, but when I grew a beard in the 80's, it was a fine red beard!

Apparently grandfather on Dad's side had reddish hair, so some Titian ancestry there.

• Like 3