Road Rules

willedoo

I've got a mint condition R-861 Aktinia portable emergency HF radio set out of an Antonov. It's the type mounted on the wall of the cargo hold on an An-12, but is used in other types as well. It's for use on land or can be set up in a life raft. I've often thought about trying to get it going to see if it still works. Haven't checked the battery but I'd say it's long dead. I think it's illegal to use HF channels if you're not licensed, so maybe best not to play with it.

600.jpg

2463732_original.jpg

• Informative 1

18 minutes ago, willedoo said:

I've got a mint condition R-861 Aktinia portable emergency HF radio set out of an Antonov. It's the type mounted on the wall of the cargo hold on an An-12, but is used in other types as well. It's for use on land or can be set up in a life raft. I've often thought about trying to get it going to see if it still works. Haven't checked the battery but I'd say it's long dead. I think it's illegal to use HF channels if you're not licensed, so maybe best not to play with it.

600.jpg

2463732_original.jpg

Wille, if you are interested, many radio workshops should be able to test a hF on the bench, using a dummy load. They should  be able to confirm the operability of the unit. As an aside, it would need to have crystals fitted if it is the older style, or perhaps need some software to set up the frequencies  if it is newer.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Across Australia there are thousands of perfectly good radios that are no longer used. As technology improves, they are replaced with newer units that can cram more channels into the spectrum. 
Most were imported at great expense and are still functional.
Surely a resource worth keeping in reserve for some future need.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Wille, if you are interested, many radio workshops should be able to test a hF on the bench, using a dummy load. They should  be able to confirm the operability of the unit. As an aside, it would need to have crystals fitted if it is the older style, or perhaps need some software to set up the frequencies  if it is newer.

First step, I might have a look through the manual to see what voltage it runs on. The battery and radio fit together as two halves of a portable case, and when you open them up there's a bit of a dodgy electrical smell, so I wouldn't be surprised if something is fried. The frequencies fitted are 2182, 4182, 8364 and 12546. It also has an SOS setting which I assume works as an emergency transmitter beacon.

I would only fire it up with a dummy load.

Also, 2182Khz 8364Khz are international distress frequency,  and is continuously  monitored.

4182Khz is Russian T marker.

Inside, look for a line of crystals with the frequencies  stamped on top. The older radios had operational frequency  set by crystals. New crystals can be bought to operate on Australian frequencies if you want to make the radio useful in an emergency. HF is still used, and would always be an option when the mobile phones and NBN go down in a bushfire, flood or cyclone.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

23 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

I would only fire it up with a dummy load.

Also, 2182Khz 8364Khz are international distress frequency,  and is continuously  monitored.

4182Khz is Russian T marker.

Inside, look for a line of crystals with the frequencies  stamped on top. The older radios had operational frequency  set by crystals. New crystals can be bought to operate on Australian frequencies if you want to make the radio useful in an emergency. HF is still used, and would always be an option when the mobile phones and NBN go down in a bushfire, flood or cyclone.

Disclaimer:

I do not recommend or suggest the use of an unlicensed transmitter.

However, in a life threatening  emergency the risk of a fine seems secondary to saving lives.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I found this photo on a radio website where someone has set it up in the backyard. It doesn't have a handpiece; it connects to a leather flight helmet and throat microphone, both of which are located in the kit. The whole kit weighs about 14kg..

b_r861_7.png

• Informative 1

Back on topic, I couldn't find anything about the legality or otherwise of using a mounted phone for navigation while driving. It's not allowed to have the phone anywhere in the car if it's turned on and the screen is visible to the driver is one thing I read.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

From the Vicroads web page:

Learner, P1 and P2 drivers
Learner, P1 and P2 drivers must NOT use a portable device, such as a mobile phone that is not mounted securely in the vehicle, for any function while driving (including while stationary but not parked).

Young drivers are over-represented in serious road crashes.

Mobile phones and other mobile devices (e.g. DVD players, tablet computers, Smartwatches) are major sources of distraction for young drivers, especially as these drivers are still building experience and developing skills.

Remember, all probationary drivers who reach 5 demerit points may incur a licence suspension.

Fully licensed car drivers

A fully licensed driver can use a phone to make or receive a phone call, to use its audio/music functions or perform a navigational (GPS) or intelligent highway vehicle system (in vehicle warning system) function but only if the phone:

• is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle, or
  • can be operated by the driver without touching any part of the phone, and the phone is not resting on any part of the driver's body.

All other functions (including video calls, texting, emailing, task management, photography, social media, shopping and share economy apps) are prohibited.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, willedoo said:

I couldn't find anything about the legality or otherwise of using a mounted phone for navigation while driving

It's legal to use the navigation, provided that the phone is securely mounted, and you don't touch the screen while your vehicle is not parked, or stopped for a considerable period of time (ie you have stopped on the side of the road to set a destination, or to cease the navigation function.

That exemption for using a phone in that way is given in Rule 300.

• Informative 2