Migration destinations

Bruce Tuncks

14 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

In thinking about the voice vote, I tried ( and failed) to find a good country that was non-white and wanted non-white immigrants. Chile just maybe?

Anyway, I sure would like some help here. What I reckon is that such countries are thin on the ground and hard to find. 

most of the African nations would be happy to take immigrants with money,
well maybe not south Africa

Brazil historically?

Bruce, I suspect  that the reason might be because humans are intrinsically discriminatory. We can fight against it but no matter how egalitarian  we try to be, it is still just an idealist goal to aim for.

'Whites' Is a generic term itself, just as 'non-white'.

Whites discriminate against subsets of whatever 'Whites' means, as well as other skin pigment folk.

Non Whites do exactly the same.

No group really wants competition from outsiders.

Evolution only favours the best breeders of any species. Unfortunately  it does not favor intellect, or behaviour. So, here we are.

That's my theory. If you don't  like that one, I can find another one.

• Like 1

Nomad, there were periods in our evolutionary history when moving was the best option. This surely favoured brains and it helps explain why we carry such a big thing around as our brain. And, nev, it would take a great many generations for your thing ( about smarter people having fewer kids) to manifest itself.  I agree about this by the way. We sure should limit child support to just 3 kids at the most. Unfortunately, this would give the woke lot yet another weapon to hit the govt with.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

yeah, it is understandable.

but there is lots of places that idolize western (especially American) culture and influence.
Liberia is a prime example. they have a history tied to the USA

Sierra Leone was similar. independent from Britain, But I had no issues with the color of my skin when I lived there.
if anything it was the opposite with people welcoming me

• Informative 2

Lets not lie to ourselves.

most immigration is welcomed because of the $$$

Philippine's are welcome in the Arab states as its a cheap work-force to exploit.

pacific Islanders are welcome for the construction industry and manual labor

Asians and Indians are welcome here because of the wealth they bring with them.
(yeah there are poor ones that get in, but the target is the wealthy)

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1

Humans have always been a migratory species. Waves of people reached almost every habitable bit of land long ago.

I fear the greatest migration of all has just begun, as poor people are squeezed out of home by natural disasters, wars and rising seas. Our rich, safe, empty continent will be a favoured destination. How do we respond?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Migratory? Certainly!

As bruce pointed out, most migrations are slow, geologically speaking. But not all. I think there are two distinct psychologies at play. Some stubbornly refuse to move even though they are struggling in unlivable circumstances. But others seem keen to quickly pull up stakes and clear off in search of greener pastures.

I am descended from two rather different families who migrated a century ago to what is now known as Australia. None of my forebears used force or cruelty against others in this land. This contrasts with the invasions which have occured elsewhere in tis world.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

You and I know the limitations of this land, but in many places the image is quite different. 

luckily for us we have a vast ocean between us. And more importantly America to spruke how great they are.
in my experience most people wanting to move - had their eyes set on the USA because that's what they saw on all the media.

the more learned of us know Canada is the better option

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 6 months later...

I really hate it how the wants of you and me are ignored by the "pro-immigration " lot. I foolishly hoped that the voice referendum results would be taken more notice of.

In the meantime, I just lament our lack of democracy on the issue. Switzerland has lots of referenda, why not us?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Switzerland has lots of referenda, why not us?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There is also the fact of dispersed concerns. Is a resident of the Northern Rivers of NSW as concerned about the drying of the Murray-Darling system as they would be about flood mitigation on those Northern Rivers?

Are you as annoyed as I am that the NSW Government has abandoned the construction of a tunneled highway from the Sydney Basin to Lithgow? Probably not if you don't have to travel that route. Such a highway would dramatically improve access to the West, and at the same time make life for those who choose to live in the Blue Mountains a quieter place and one in which going to the local shops was not a battle with traffic generated by people simply crossing the Mountains.

Those of you living in other States and Territories no doubt can provide your own local examples . 

• Informative 1

Switzerland is a lot different from US. It Plays a neutral Game  Runs  Swiss Bank in  a crime AIDINGing way and every day is like Sunday The Gnomes  of ZuriK are famous  AT least It's CLEAN. Live there? CAN that be done? I'd much rather live HERE, MATE. .  Nev 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, old man emu said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There is also the fact of dispersed concerns. Is a resident of the Northern Rivers of NSW as concerned about the drying of the Murray-Darling system as they would be about flood mitigation on those Northern Rivers?

Are you as annoyed as I am that the NSW Government has abandoned the construction of a tunneled highway from the Sydney Basin to Lithgow? Probably not if you don't have to travel that route. Such a highway would dramatically improve access to the West, and at the same time make life for those who choose to live in the Blue Mountains a quieter place and one in which going to the local shops was not a battle with traffic generated by people simply crossing the Mountains.

Those of you living in other States and Territories no doubt can provide your own local examples . 

I think about NSW three times a year (State of Origin series). Although I am forever grateful they took Barnaby back.

• Haha 1

Before I arrived on THESE shores....

I spent early childhood in a western suburb of Sydney town. By the time I was in my 20's the streets were paved (not with gold), there were fewer and fewer friendly faces around, and Sydney was getting too noisy, indifferent and scruffy for me. I migrated to a sunny, quiet, friendly town called Brisbane. There I stayed whilst raising a family. When that was done, I was once again a 'free' man. One day when I was sitting in a freeway gridlock I noticed that whilst I had been busy this little town had turned into a noisy, indifferent place so I moved up the hill to a quiet little town called Toowoomba. It was friendy an didn't  have traffic. That was nice. For a while. Once again the day came when my migratory instinct struck. I never thought that Toowoomba would ever have gridlock but it did. I refuse to waste precious years sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

This time I migrater over seas to a smaller island. I am under no illusions about 'progress' orpopulation pressure. But for now it is nice, and quiet. The people are still friendly BUT THE WEATHER IS CRAP - DO NOT EVEN THINK OF COMING THIS CLOSE TO THE SOUTH POLE!

It won't be my last destination but I think this might be my last migration.

Edited by nomadpete
Warning added
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Last weekend I was in Sydney for a couple of days, on the southwestern edge. I was thinking of going to a hobby supplies shop in Newcastle on my way home. That's a roundabout way home, but I would kill two birds with one stone. To get to Newcastle, I would have to cross the metropolitan area:

image.thumb.jpeg.5e03c5e4ac1b2b949c655d55e6cd6135.jpeg

Normally, if I have business at Bankstown Airport, I leave my son's place about 9:00 to avoid the school drop-off traffic locally and on the access to the M5. According to my route planner, the trip to the hobby shop should take two and a half hours, and the whole trip home about seven hours, plus rest stops. So I ask my son when he thought I should leave his place to avoid traffic on the M5/M7/M2 section. He suggested leaving at 10:30! Needless to say, I've yet to make the trip to teh hobby shop.

As it was, it took me about 15 minutes to go 4.4 kilometres to get to the main road I took to escape.

• Informative 1