Weird transport.

red750

• 2 weeks later...

The Brogan Doodlebug: 

In 1946,  Frank Brogan crafted a sleek, two-seat runabout he called the Brogan Doodlebug. It featured a highly streamlined steel body with headlights and windshield posts seamlessly blended in. The topless, doorless three-wheeler measured 96 inches long (2.5M), rolled on a 66-inch wheelbase (1.68M), and could be turned around within its own length. 
With the buyer’s choice of rear-mounted, single-cylinder Briggs & Stratton or twin-cylinder Onan air-cooled engines, the Doodlebug could achieve a top speed of 45 miles per hour (72kmh) and travel nearly 70 miles (113kms) on a gallon (3.8L) of gas.
Brogan designed the Doodlebug especially for women, so he made sure operation and maintenance were easy. Gear-shifting was automated using a mercury-actuated system similar to fluid drive, which eliminated the clutch pedal. Changing the hidden front tire simply required popping out the grille and unscrewing two bolts. The engine was removed just as quickly—lift the rear deck lid, release three pins, disconnect the gas line, and lift the engine from its position beside the five-gallon fuel tank and battery ... 
After photos of the Doodlebug appeared in the nation’s newspapers and popular magazines, Brogan received an average of 200 postcards and letters per month. Requests to buy and distribute came from every state and 20 foreign countries. Brogan hand-built 30 Doodlebugs and sold them for $400 each before realising he'd lost $100 on every car he turned out. Tooling for mass production required $150,000 that he didn’t have, so he suspended Doodlebug sales.

BROGAN-DOODLEBUG.JPG

BROGAN-DOODLEBUG-2.JPG

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 2

My stepfather (who married my mother when she was 80, a couple of years after my Father died of cancer), was a Pommy plumber from Nottingham.

He told me he'd owned a Brough Superior when he was a young bloke, and he was stunned when I told him I had no idea what a Brough Superior was!

He waxed lyrical about the machine, and I had to go research it! They're worth a fortune now, apparently.

• Informative 1