Meteor Shower 2023

nomadpete

Unfortunately I can't see it through the clouds.

However  the news had some tantalising shots.

Can anyone explain to me  why these meteors are arriving at Earth's atmosphere  from many very different angles?

I had always expected they would come from roughly the same direction.

Are they being sent to us by different  gods, living in different  parts of  space?

Well they wouldn't all live together  would they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• red750 changed the title to Meteor Shower 2023
On 13/08/2023 at 7:22 PM, nomadpete said:

Can anyone explain to me  why these meteors are arriving at Earth's atmosphere  from many very different angles?

Are they arriving at the outer extent of Earth's atmosphere from different angles, or are they coming from the same direction and the being deflected by the atmosphere?

7 hours ago, facthunter said:

Our speed around the Sun is pretty high. It's about 30 million miles each year. i think we fly into their area now and again. Its often many years before  the next event   Nev

My reasoning is that this would make the meteors all appear to streak across the sky in the same direction. But some pictures show more random directions, in the same frame.

Curioser and curioser, said Alice.

• Informative 1

I believe losses outstrip gains. 

Current estimates place the loss of hydrogen and helium at 6.6 pounds (3 kilograms) per second. That works out to just a tad more than 100,000 tons (90,700 metric tons) per year. When you compare that to the estimated mass of meteoric material that falls to Earth each year (approximately 50,000 tons), indeed, our planet does seem to be on a weight-loss program.

Is the Earth Gaining or Losing Mass?

• Informative 3