Mobile phone dramas ...

onetrack

1 minute ago, old man emu said:

Get out ov it! You can't fool me. You just walked up the street a bit.

Take another look. The distant objects are compressed closer together. They were both taken as I leaned against my daughters red car, foreground photo 1.

I have insurance on my Samsung S9, keep forgetting to cancel

its 5 years old or so. broke the screen a few months ago.
thought Id cancel the insurance and get an upgrade....
they asked instead if I wanted to make a claim, pay the $50 excess and have it refurbished....

so now I have a like new phone, all refurbished through Samsung (which includes battery).

and still pay insurance, in a few years if they cant refurbish I get a payout or equivalent replacement

funnily enough they have stopped offering insurance on new handsets

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

• 4 months later...

This the best legislation I have seen in years, and kudos to the EU for having the balls to take on greedy anti-competitive global giant corporations.

But I'll wager these corporations will fight tooth and nail against the legislation, and try every corporate trick in the book to stall the timing for when it's introduced.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, onetrack said:

But I'll wager these corporations will fight tooth and nail against the legislation, and try every corporate trick in the book to stall the timing for when it's introduced

Probably it is a bit late for that.  The legislation has been passed and the timetable set.  It is not and probably can not be instant. If a particular company drags its feet, it only takes one company to get a phone on the market with a replaceable battery to corner the market.  The consumer wants this and will vote with their feet.     It is not like it involves massive development costs.  It was not that long ago that phone batteries were replaceable.   I say, take the win, pessimism doesn't achieve anything.

Newly approved EU Battery Regulation explained

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, old man emu said:

Didn't the early mobiles have replaceable batteries?

Yep, the phone I had before the one I have now had a replaceable battery.   Non-replaceable battery phones have made phones lighter and thinner and also help with dust and water protection however I would suggest most customers would prefer to be able to put a new battery in, I know that that is my preference.

• Like 2

With all the apps one must now have on their phone (you can't do anything without an app) they go flat so damned quickly. Now they flog those little cordless rapid chargers to plug in and keep talking. I have only about 4 apps on my phone and a charge lasts less than two days. I don't use it for the internet, TV, movies or anything like that.

I've only just bought a phone with a non-replaceable battery - a Motorola. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and it was a beauty - until I ran over it with my mobile crane. However, it was at the end of its life technologically, so I was up for a new phone, anyway.

Can't recall if I was on my 2nd or 3rd battery in the Note 4 - I think it was the 3rd. There was a major difference between the genuine Samsung battery and the Chinese knock-offs, as regards lifespan. The Chinese batteries never lasted like the OEM ones.

Edited by onetrack

Eh, I think these days the life of a phone is shorter then its battery life.
most in my generation update every 2 years. Im still using as S9...
no idea what battery its on - normally break the screen and Samsung replace the battery and outer cases as part of the refurbish program (paid for by insurance with a $50 excess) the insurance is why i dont upgrade

• Informative 1

It is probably worth noting that many phones with a "non replaceable" battery in fact can have a new battery installed either by a repair shop or you can do it yourself.   I almost did it myself but scored a pretty good hand-me-down. Third-party batteries are available for most phones. The downside is that the replacement process involves a heat gun to melt the glue and a little bit of scalpel surgery. I am not sure if I could be bothered.

The point of the new EU law is that the battery will have to be replaceable without special tools or expertise.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1