Robyn Davidson - Tracks (from Alice to the West Coast)

Jerry_Atrick

My grandfather was shot in the head , witnesses said , '' dead ' killed in action '' .

Luckily no one stolen his boots etc., the Russian medic did a check , and shipped him, compleat with rifle & damaged helmet. ( to Russia )

He survived & had a " silver plate " for the bone that was damaged .

Good job lthe English medic didn't get in first .

His wife had remarried on receipt of the death certificate. ( Away for two & a half years )

But that's another story . LoL

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

My grandmother married a returned soldier in 1919. He jumped out of the hospital window a week later. Then she married another returned soldier, my grandfather, who was born in Wingen. She said he had been Wingen ever since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/06/2023 at 12:23 PM, onetrack said:

the Americans in WW1 were quite appalled by the WW1 Diggers fairly constant looting of dead Germans for anything useful - including money and jewellery.

However, theit sons were not so reluctant in WWII. There is a lot of movie footage of GIs taking personal possessions from German POWs, and a lot of this stuff turns up in the militaria market.

15 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Only the yanks were so rich as to look down on the practise

In WWI the Yanks didn't experience the years and years of trench warfare stalemate. The Battle of Cantigny, fought May 28, 1918 was the first major American battle and offensive of World War I. That is, it was the first time the Yanks were to operate under their own control. So basically, the Yanks were only on the Western Front for five and a half months.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Neil, I take offence at being called a goose - and yes, I am a Vietnam Veteran, I served 12 mths in South Vietnam as a Military Engineer, and I'm more than a little familiar with front-line War action.

• Like 1