Turn the key and start it up - NOT!

old man emu

yes Unbelievably almost it was the first scout model , a 1920. he made the conrods from old tractor axles and the heads based on the AJS's of. the 20's era. HE Briefly called in at the place where I worked in  Mayfield, Newcastle. I saw him myself but the Boss came over a bit later and said "WE won't be seeing much of that bloke, Sonny. He wants everything for nothing."  Nev

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

yes Unbelievably almost it was the first scout model , a 1920. he made the conrods from old tractor axles and the heads based on the AJS's of. the 20's era. HE Briefly called in at the place where I worked in  Mayfield, Newcastle. I saw him myself but the Boss came over a bit later and said "WE won't be seeing much of that bloke, Sonny. He wants everything for nothing."  Nev

Nev I hope you’re writing a book! You have lots to talk about; unfortunately, the best title is already taken: 

image.thumb.jpeg.0a5cc81656b44b96fa4e588602258a6d.jpeg

• Like 1

R.M. Williams book doesn't get a lot of good reviews, it seems a lot of people were underwhelmed by his stories. I reckon I could write a great book about so many characters in the earthmoving and mining industries that I've worked with, run into, or had to deal with. Many of them, "larger than life" characters who could not survive in a "civilised" environment. 

• Like 2

I never really conformed. Suburbia I would not be able to stand. I'd resist "Keeping up with, Anybody" as a life aim. My Flying was never commented on in My parents House, except the stink of the model aero engines was very unwelcome as were the motorbikes. Dusty Crophopper like Me, didn't really fit in.  Nev

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The picture illustrates some interesting post-WWII changes. First it shows the British bike invading the USA. Previously and contemporaneously the big capacity Harley-Davidson and Indian bikes were the norm there. But these were what we now call touring bikes - lacking the lightness needed for maneuverability at speed. The British bikes also provided a means to differential what we call motorcyclists from bikies. The H-Ds and Indians were the rides of the outlaw rider, while the British bikes were ridden by the law-abiding motorcycle clubs (those affiliated with the American Motorcycle Association).

The dichotomy is well represented in the 1953 movie The Wild One which starred Marlon Brando as the British-bike rider in the Black Rebels Motorcycle Club and Lee Marvin as the H-D riding bikie of the Beetles, led by Chino (Lee Marvin). If you ignore the sensationalist plot (which is a modern application of the Western townspeople -v- outlaw gang theme), a study of these two characters is most interesting. The Beetles, and the Black Rebels were once one club.  However the Beetles are a sharp contrast to the BRMC.  Johnny’s club mostly rides British made Triumphs, all shined up and clean.  Chino’s crew ride American made Harley-Davidsons that are dirty and unkempt.  Johnny’s crew all has black leather jackets with the aforementioned stencil on the back, like a uniform.  Chino’s boys have no “colors” whatsoever and are a dirtier and cruder bunch. 

That association of big American-made bikes with "bad boys" was used to great effect whin Honda invaded California in the early Sixties. Using a California surfer melody, Honda promoted the freedom of the beach-going lifestyle to sell its little machines to "clean-cut" youth.

Lyrics such as Put on a ragged sweatshirt, I'll take you anywhere you want me to  make a contrast with the leathers of the bikies and describe the Surfer clothing style.

It's not a big motorcycle, Just a groovy little motorbike  further differentiates a Honda from a Harley.

It climbs the hills like a Matchless, Cause my Honda' built really light. That's got to be a counter to the British opposition.

It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys, That two-wheeled bike identifies the Honda as a symbol of innocence.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Honda was always a big spender int he advertising department   Americanised TRIUMPHS appealed to the "scary" types. High Bars and high exhausts on the RHS  with the motors tuned almost to the stage of being unreliable. Known as street scramblers. Just prior to WW2 the Brit bikes put up a good showing on the 1/2 mile Oval tracks. 500 cc OHV singles against 750 cc Sidevalve twins  Complaints about the capacity imbalance (by the brits) made one (American) very capable  tuner, prepare a BSA  which won that year with 58HP output from a OHV single 500 cc Gold Star. motor.  He said "There , I've done it, why can't you?".  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Informative 1

The W.A. Police bought a swag of H-D's for Police work in the late 1970's - against the wishes of numerous police officers. Those Harleys turned out to be total duds, and they broke down so much, questions were asked in Parliament about the purchase, which was disapproved of by so many Police officers. They also cost a lot more than Jap bikes.

They only bought the one batch, and then sold them all, with numbers of them at the auctions, still not in running order - and they went back to Jap bikes. I've ridden a mates Yamaha 750 ex-W.A. Police bike in the early 80's, it was a nice bike.

They sold the Yammys complete with the full fairing and windscreen, and still all-white, and it was good fun putting the wind up motorists, you would see people absolutely crap themselves at the sight of the Yammy appearing behind them.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Choosing a motorcycle for police work is very much a "horses for courses" process. Basically, the big Harleys are not suitable for manoeuvring in our narrow, congested metropolitan roads, or dealing with the poor surfaces and poor design of our rural highways. The most appropriate Harley for Australian police work would have been based on the smaller 55 cu in (883 cc) Sportster. NSW Police used British bikes and BMWs before the Japanese took over. Those early bikes were in the 650 to 750 cc range, but you have to remember that cars and other motorcycles were also slower. A "Ton Up Boy" (one who has done 100 mph on a motorcycle) was a rarity. Then came the big capacity bikes and freeways, so the Police moved into the 1200 cc range. Also the bikes carried more equipment.

Anything in the 70's wouldn't be very fast from the  HARLEY line. Another dud was the ARIELSquare four. Evil handling and a hand grenade motor. The radios they carried made them handle badly. The Honda four didn't handle well either or the boxer BMW.  In the 50's they used the Triumph thunderbird which could catch most cars in those days. Nev

• Informative 1