USA Health system

Bruce Tuncks

I actually understand the tea-party wanting to stop govt expenditure. What I don't understand is the simultaneous gifting of the AMA with near-total control of the medical system.

Just suppose there was a "rec flying" medical school where straight "A" students got qualified as doctors, and this was done without sanction of the AMA.  My guess it that police with guns would come and kill you.

Why can't the republicans see the contradictions involved in denying govt spending and allowing a union free reign?

• Informative 1

Bruce this thread is about a non-existing entity: the USA doesn’t have a Health System- they have a Profit System run by the massively powerful medical insurance industry which has bought lots of politicians to ensure their gravy train is protected. 

Many Americans cannot afford to go to hospital, can’t afford simple medications that are massively more expensive in the USA than in civilised countries.

Americans die of lots of maladies that are easily controlled in sensible countries like Australia. The reason is apalling profit gouging by drug companies whose political servants regularly vote against any efforts to reduce the massive cost of essential medication.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

UK will be next. The NHS is well and truly stuffed. Called the docs on Friday - 2.5 week wait for a phone appointment. Decided on Monday, as I was in London to just get a private doc (my health insurance covers phone appointments, but this was something I knew needed a physical examination). £108 and I had a whole 1/2 hour with a GP who was very thorough (here, the NHS GPs don't even take routine blood pressure, etc_

Apparently, the conservatives have been privatising operators to get better efficiencies and, at the same time, throwing more money at it. Yet, wait times are longer, and services are a lot worse.. and this was happening before Brexit, but accelerated after it. I guess their model doesn't work.

10 years ago, I thought the Aussie public health system was a bit of a joke compared to the NHS... that was 2 years into the Conservative government. Today, not only is the NHS a big joke against the Aussie health system, but probably only just beats the US.

There was a 99 hour wait for A&E (casualty): https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-amp-e-crisis-portable-oxygen-running-out-as-patient-waits-99-hours-for-bed-52ks096bs

(behind a paywall)

And it is being reported that excess deaths not attributable to COVID over the average is around 1,000 per week: https://news.sky.com/story/excess-deaths-reach-highest-level-since-pandemic-peak-how-much-are-nhs-failings-to-blame-12780446

(Note, Sky here is not owned by Murdoch anymore, and while definitely not the propaganda channel in Aus (why is Aus media allowed to take the US lead?), it does lean definitely in the Conservative camp. So, this is damning.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Sad 2

You could probably measure the liveability of a country, by the level of medical care available there. Privatisation and corporate control of medicine and health care is the stuff of nightmares.

The almighty dollar then becomes the primary focus, not the level of satisfactory medical outcomes, or patient happiness. 

• Like 1

I reckon the doc really works for whoever pays him. After being treated badly by bulk-billers ( who actually don't consider you as important )  I returned to "private" gp's. These all have a gap, but they also collect the govt money.

There was an interesting story about an east-german heart surgeon who found that he earned a lot more in the west, but he also had to work a lot harder.

I have 3 solutions... 1. allow lots of other people to write prescriptions.

2. allow the universities to train as many doctors as they want.

3. Give the rights to impose standards to the standards association.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I have private hospital cover but my GP bulk bills and prescriptions are capped to a certain amount annually & then they are free after that (unless the drug is not in the PBS) so the system works well for me.

But the rumblings are getting louder and the system is struggling to attract GPs. Many clinics are now charging a co-payment as they say they cannot manage on the amount provided by the system so the number of bulk billing clinics is diminishing. Mine now charges for small procedures. I had a small punch biopsy on a suspected BCC recently & paid $50.00 (still cheap). The situation is probably worse in large cities with high costs associated with real estate/rent and wages/salaries.

Getting an appointment urgently is almost impossible now. It used to be no problem. Some people are resorting to hospital ERs as they can't get an appointment with their GP. Family in NZ say the same is happening there so what is going on in the UK is occurring elsewhere. We just haven't caught up yet.

Why this is happening everywhere I don't know & have not researched it, but it is a worrying trend. Seems to have accelerated since the pandemic.

• Informative 1

Back in 1990 I went to the USA for a series of short courses, then went to England to do some follow-up on the practical application of what I had studied. The difference then in the cost of travel insurance between going to the USA, or avoiding it was huge.

Just did a quick quote check for a month in USA or England for a 70-yr-old. USA: approx $600, England: Approx $360. That's comprehensive with a lot to cover cancellations, of flights I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2