Is this funny

Yenn

On 22/10/2022 at 4:31 PM, facthunter said:

They begat in very suss ways back then if they had to. Marty, the wife's ex boyfriend  is often perfect (IF  she had only known what she knows now. That  he was going to make a lot of money and treat her in the manner she wanted to become accustomed to.). Nev

You should talk to my wife.  She often talks about how two of her ex's ended up in jail.  I think she's quite happy with me, that's what she tells me anyway...

• Sad 1

On 22/10/2022 at 4:31 PM, facthunter said:

They begat in very suss ways back then if they had to. Marty, the wife's ex boyfriend  is often perfect (IF  she had only known what she knows now. That  he was going to make a lot of money and treat her in the manner she wanted to become accustomed to.). Nev

You should talk to my wife.  She often talks about how two of her ex's ended up in jail.  I think she considers me a better deal, by comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I used toi do it.. But after 25 years with Jerry's partner, maybe I am waiting for someting to be put in my tea!

(except, I don't drink it)

(and, only joking, she doesn't read these threads)

Reminds me of a heated debate in the Commons between Winston Churchill and Mary Astor. She was giving him a proper tongue lashing and ended her spray by saying that if she was his wife she’d put poison in his tea.

Churchill quickly replied that he was her husband he’d drink it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It  is said that old Winnie borrowed that saying in 1941.

The Winston Churchill Society website says it went like this...

"

Bessie Braddock MP: “Winston, you are drunk, and what’s more you are disgustingly drunk.”

WSC: “Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow
I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.”

Nowadays a remark like that would have ended his political career.

Origin:-

"In the 1934 movie 'It’s a Gift', W. C. Fields’s character, when told he is drunk, responds, “Yeah, and you’re crazy. But I’ll be sober tomorrow and you’ll be crazy the rest of your life.”

• Like 1

The origins of the lines, "If I were your wife I'd poison your tea", and "If I were your husband, I'd drink it", are quite interesting. The repartee has been ascribed to many politicians, I've heard it ascribed to Robert Menzies at a political rally.

But the truth is always a little more involved, and researchers like the bloke below, are pretty good at digging up the origins of these legendary statements and sayings.

http://www.strangehistory.net/2018/03/20/if-i-were-your-husband-i-would-drink-it-history-of-a-joke/

• Informative 3

I think that the art of repartee is being killed off by digitisation. Repartee depends on more than just the words involved. It must take into account the aural and physical components of communucation. It also requires a broad vocabulary from which to select the words perfect for the occasion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1