Have you ever heard of ...

red750

The word sounds like the description of someone using profanity over a telephone!

Henry Sutton was an amazing bloke who gained no recognition for his outstanding inventiveness. This was no doubt due to the fact that he wasn't located in the centre of the industrial development universe, he had no degree of any kind, and he patented nothing that he invented, believing that everyone should benefit freely from his inventions - the exact opposite of the American corporate approach!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

There was an episode of Aussie Inventions That Changed The World on the History Channel last night, which included a report on Sutton and the telephane, which was the forerunner of the television. Logie Baird used Suttons telephane to base his television invention on, without giving credit.

Sutton also designed an ornithopter, an aircraft with flapping wings, but a word search on the Wikipedia page for ornithopter could find no reference to Sutton. 

Henry Sutton, 1856 - 1912, was born in Ballarat and home-schooled by his mother until age 11. He had no formal education. His most famous invention was a battery that not only stored electricity, but could be recharged. He never patented any of his inventions.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

We had a waiter like that when we were in Paris a few years ago.  Real clown.  He didn't have a word of English and we spoke zero French, but even so he kept us laughing the whole time.

I also went for a joyflight with a French pilot in a Savannah, from a strip down near Uzes.  I wish I had more French at the time, because he was an interesting chap - even though we didn't speak each other's languages, he let me know he used to fly Mirages for the Armée de l'air.

• Like 1

Speaking of speaking French, on Australia's Got Talent on Monday, one of the contestants came on and introduced himself. "Bo jour, I am from Fronce".

He started singing opera in French, and soon started removing all his clothes, until all he had was a towel, which he swirled around himself, almost revealing everything. All the females were shrieking. After comments from the judges, he said "Au revoir". Shane Jacobson asked him something and he said, "No mate, I'm an Aussie, born in Perth." Broke everyone up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What an interesting story - but that article is not the whole story of Gilbert Toynes lifes - the whole story is here .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Toyne

Lance Hill virtually copied the Toyne Aeroplane hoist. You'd imagine he must have infringed Toynes patents somewhere, or perhaps the patents had run out by the time he produced his version.

EDIT: - Yes, I found this article which outlines Lance Hill copying the Toyne Aeroplane hoist in 1947, because the 1925 patent of Toynes had expired the year before.

https://www.pittwateronlinenews.com/hills-hoist-collectors-corner.php

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1