2022 Victorian State Election

Jerry_Atrick

Well, happy to say,  I don't have to live with the consequences of the Victors in Victorina.

I just voted in our local council scramble (election). Quite amazing to see 25 running for 9 councillor spots. I am always extra sceptical of local councils - in my opinion it is the least honorable level of governments.

Sadly all contestants seem to say pretty much the same feelgood stuff in their spiel:-

Family values, environment, transparency, roads and rates, etc.

Many seem to want less red tape "to promote sustainable business". I assume some run a small business that is presently unsustainable due to some rules they wish to be liberated from.

The best candidate in my opinion, is a young school leaver who is tilting at deputy mayor's job! Some young blood might help.

• Like 1

I didn't know whether to put this here or in the  Albo & Co thread.

Albo has interfered with the Victorian election. He has offered Federal money to help fund the Melbourne Rail Loop, effectively knifing the Libs plan to shelve the Loop and use the Loop funds to help restore the health service. Dirty pool I say. Victorians won't get a chance to decide.

• Informative 1

• red750 changed the title to 2022 Victorian State Election

Dan Andrews has promised to completely rebuild the Maroondah Hospital in Ringwood, renaming it the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, the WEst Gippsland Hospital in Warragul (where I and most of my siblings were born), and at least renovate if not rebuild the Alfred Hospital and Dandenong Hospital. Now, Elbow-Kneesy has witdraawn $90 mimllion hospital funding from Victoria. Best of luck with that Dan. Victorian hospitals, ambulance service are in a mess, and fire fighters are threatening strike action.

Also, Labor proposes new sex trafficking laws which will strip local councils of the ability to block brothels and sex trade next door to schools and kindergaartens. What next?

• Informative 1

I don't know who Michael Sukkar is (well, I now know he is a LNP).. Scare mongering again... All the December legislation does is bring Vic in line with NSW, who spearheaded their current framework under the LNP. So, Sukkar is inadvertently criticising his own party as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Michael Sven Sukkar (born 11 September 1981) is an Australian politician who served as the Assistant Treasurer and Minister for Housing from 2019, and as the Minister for Homelessness, Social and Community Housing from 2020. He lost his ministries in May 2022, when the Liberal Party went into Opposition on the election of the Albanese Labor Government.

Sukkar has been a member of the House of Representatives since September 2013, representing the Division of Deakin in Victoria for the Liberal Party.

Michael is our local Member, and I have met him on a number of occasions. Here is a photo of Michael (suit) with me on his left, at a presentation of a certificate to our Men's Shed. The guy on my left is the (then) Co-ordinator of the Shed, and another Shed volunteer on the right.

32729940701_621fe8fd4e_c.thumb.jpg.6422d5c1dd61a0098519e845279b4e91.jpg

• Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, I love elections; In Aus, I love watching the ABC coverage of the election count, and I watched it most of the Vic election count until Dan Andrews made his winning speech.

And in the victory speech, I now know why he is referred to Chairman Dan - it was a choreographed ceremony befitting a vertain NK leader.. shmultzy at best. But what got my goat was that he paid not tribute to any of his competitors, let alone Guy Matthews. Yes, Matthews' speech was a bit sour grapges, but the Dan Andrews Show was conceited BS.. and, although this is the first Vic election I have followed for too long to think about (and well before Dan took power), I have never seen any political party stage it like DA did.

It may be semantics, but it could also be the sign of a pollie believing in his own invincibility. Remember Paul Keating said words to the effect that while Johnny Arthur was in charge of the Libs, Labor had nothing to worry about. Well, that didn't turn out to be the truth. The other thing (and sorry to Vic LNP supporters), Guy and his cohorts were unelectable - yet there was a 6% swing against Labor.. No doubt, the MSM helped achieve that, but Labour and DA specifically has to be reminded of that. It looks not to have made a huge difference to the parliamentary numbers, if any, but I would be reminding DA that 6% in normal times would be enough to oust a sitting government.

I like DA's agenda in general, although the improvement in health services should have been on the agenda well before the election.

The Libs, in, as I recall his name, Tony Barry, who appears to be a Libs polster or campaign director was very sanguine and honest.. there is not much talent left, and the Libs (no the Nats as they did reasonably well),.. need to rebuild and move back towards the centre.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1