Fighting corruption in Australia

Bruce Tuncks

Well, Dan Andrews is in the thick of it again, this time his staff have been found to have pressured public servants to award some training contract to the Health Workers Union by bypassing a competitive tender process: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-19/ibac-vic-government-daniel-andrews-operation-daintree-findings/102237590.

IBAC fell short of finding it corrupt as the premier and the pollies/staff, presumably because the premier and his staff did not directly intervene or force the public servants to go down that path, and probably because there was no direct benefit to the premier and his staff.. On what info is available, that is a fine line, and to me, if the public procurement policies were avoided at the request of a public official, then that smacks of corruption; transparency and fairness is important in public institutions.

In a similar article in The Age, I think the opposition leader carried himself well by rather than calling for Andrews' resignation, calling for him to consider his opinion; it is an invitation of similar ilk to Pauline Hanson - Please Explain!

5 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Well, Dan Andrews is in the thick of it again, this time his staff have been found to have pressured public servants to award some training contract to the Health Workers Union by bypassing a competitive tender process: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-19/ibac-vic-government-daniel-andrews-operation-daintree-findings/102237590.

IBAC fell short of finding it corrupt as the premier and the pollies/staff, presumably because the premier and his staff did not directly intervene or force the public servants to go down that path, and probably because there was no direct benefit to the premier and his staff.. On what info is available, that is a fine line, and to me, if the public procurement policies were avoided at the request of a public official, then that smacks of corruption; transparency and fairness is important in public institutions.

In a similar article in The Age, I think the opposition leader carried himself well by rather than calling for Andrews' resignation, calling for him to consider his opinion; it is an invitation of similar ilk to Pauline Hanson - Please Explain!

Apparently in Vic the IBAC can only label it corruption if it's at the level of criminal behavior. 

Back in the day, people used to rip people off by selling them chopped dried herbs as Mary Jew Ana. While possession of the herbs is not illegal, ripping someone off is a criminal offence. Rarely prosecuted for want of a complainant to police. So where's the "level of criminal behaviour" that makes dishonest behaviour corruption, especially when the acts are carried out by persons who have been granted power over others or power to deal in some way with the Public Purse? "Dishonesty" is like "pregnancy" - either it is, or it is not. Except with dishonesty it takes at least two pricks to occur.

CORRUPTION:  dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I really hate corruption and though I support Labor in general, corruption must be fought against at all costs.

I'd like to see the court system able to hear cases from losing bidders and to award damages if they lost unfairly. The "winning " bidder would be among those contributing to the damages, but mainly those who corruptly selected the wrong suppliers would pay.

Why is this not already the case? It seems that fox news in the US was subject to such a case, well nearly so.

• Like 2

IF you always take the lowest bidder doesn't always  work out best  The  succesful application may be far more detailed and believable  and from some business with a better reputation..   The previous low bidders figure might be leaked and they just put in an undeveloped bid below it.   Nev

• Like 2

I hate corruption, too.. And, while we're on the fight against it, Albanese government has fallen short with its implementation of NACC (Federal ICAC). There was widespread belief that Doofus had secred the agreement of the cross bench and esp the Indie MP, which does not appear to be true, either!

So, sit back, relax, and enjoy us still not getting the representation we deserve. By the way, it is a step in the right direction, but it would appear according to this fella that I support as his viods seem to be well researched, that there may be some folly in making a deal with an institution of little integrity:

• Like 1

Well said Nev. I still hold labor to very high standards if they want my vote. Last time, I voted Sustainable Australia, which is not for left-wing bleeding hearts . In a 2 party preferred system, I still finish up putting labor ahead of the libs. If they ( sustainable Australia )  get in the slightest  place corrupt, I will move on.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hard for a minor party to get corrupt beyond fiddling their own books... Also, we should be holding all political parties to high standards..

This looks like what happens when a leader gets to a point where they think the are safe.

Mind the in-video analogies, they were pee-ing me off, but Andrews seems to have a few things to answer for.

• Agree 1

"Seems to?" Plenty of that stuff around. I don't expect it here. Ex NSW Premier Baird spoke well of him and his reliability with  promises and the Libs wanted Baird to resign from the Party.. Lyndsay FOX  praised  Andrews and they went after HIM too. Making up all kinds of stuff, with no basis in fact. Nev

Hee is the second instalment.. which is interesting viewing...

On 15/05/2023 at 11:18 PM, facthunter said:

Don't shoot the messenger.  Do you dispute what I wrote?  Nev

Sort of.. You're right that plenty in the MSM and with vested interests have taken to Andrews unfairly - no denying it. But that does not mean he is whiter than whiite and a moral saint. There have been plenty of what looks like well researched stories which show, well, he is a politician and does stuff other politicians do.. And he should be held accountable.

Does the latest issue warrant his resignation? I would argue, no. But, if true, does it warrant some form of sanction, even if to say, "listen chap, pull a stunt like that again, and you may want to contemplate your tenure".

What appears to be telling is the misleaing he seems to be doing to be dismissive - rather than reflective.

If you can point out from the two videos where the facts (and opinion) are off, that would be good. Both the (now ex) IBAC commissioner and state ombuds[wo)man seem to be fairtly level headed and are in agreement.

[edit] those bludday in-vid analogies or takes, or whatever they are, are more annoying than the first one.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

What I don't understand is why the labor lot are not repeatedly calling the liberals out for corruption. There is a new case just today, where a sum of "construction contract" money found it's way back to a very-well off already liberal senior politician. In my book, that's as open and shut a case of old fashioned corruption as you can get. I'd send him to jail.

If they did it well enough, the public might start to associate the libs with corruption...  mind you, they sure would need to be clean themselves.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It will be interesting to see the result of the investigation into ambulance code reds, whether they were suppressed before the election, and declared immediately after. And I don't see why he should not support the action to ensure Frankston serial killer Denyer isn't kept behind bars for life. They did it for two others. Instead Andrews says he will rely on the parole board to deny any release application. If that fails? The families would have to relive these crimes every couple of years. And there's still another unsolved disappearence from that area at that time. I have met the girls parents, they were neighbours of my sister-in-law. Still waiting for closure after all these years. Denyer said it wasn't him, but it had to be someone.

4 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I never thought about the possibility that he might be innocent red.

I think he admitted the three he was charged with. He has shown absolutely no remorse for his actions. He's as cold as a winter's morning.

• Like 1

At least he isn't pizzin a billion dollars up against a wall on a footy stadium - at the same time as closing down a hospital.

And we don't have much ramping up of ambulances because we don't have enough ambulances to do that or enough hospitals. And housing.. aaaagh!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1