I don't think... I KNOW.

Marty_d

So it takes a French President to say what anyone with half a brain knows - Scummo is a liar.

When an ABC reporter asked him at the G20 whether he thought Scott Morrison had lied to him about the submarine deal, he said those words - "I don't think, I know".

Not much room there for misinterpretation or language issues.  A world leader has come right out and accused another one of lying, and in this case, I believe him and totally disbelieve the inept and contradictory statements from our pathetic PM.

All I can say to the French people is "Je suis désolé - notre premier ministre est bête."

• Like 1

Oui!

Although, remember, France has its presidential elections, so Macron is pulling no punches when it comes to standing up for his country when they are pooped on.

He picked a fight with Britain a couple of weeks ago over fishing rights in the Channel, and all Britain was asking was that France uphold the agreement the EU struck with Britain (for once).

The current federal government is the most corrupt and incompetant we’ve had. It amazes me that their monumental stuff-ups have been largley swept under the carpet. Media bias is blatant.

Mention “Peter Garrett” to most people and all we hear is “home insulation scandal”. The reality is that this scheme improved many people’s lives and stimulated the economy, but led to the accidental deaths of two people. Meanwhile, Scomo’s nasty RoboDebts was a huge financial disaster, killed large numbers and cause dimmense stress to our most vulnerable people- yet is largely forgotten. 

The LNP have clung to power largely thanks to massive bias in the Murdoch media and pandering to outmoded power brokers.

The greatest threat to Australia’s future security is to be isolated by the international community. The LNP has taken our country out on a Fossil Fuel limb and put us at risk of becoming a global pariah state, as was Apartheid South Africa.

We are a trading nation, totally dependant on the rest of world to buy our products and provide our imports.

Already, carbon tarriffs on Australia’s exports are being openly considered by countries we once called friends.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 3

Having said that, I DO realise that our political heads (can't bring myself to call any of them leaders), in the longer term, are putting us on a very sad path. Economy, health, climate, food security, pollution, population limitation. All are being traded off for short term gains by a minority. 

6 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

But you never know where the path leads until you follow it to the end.

In the case of aussie politics, the end is usually three years

Usually sooner; when do they ever serve a full three years? The sitting PM gets to choose election timing to suit his political agenda. Bring on 4 year fixed terms- and a federal anti-corruption body with TEETH!

And another thing. Did anyone notice the nasty little deal recently done between the LNP and One Nation, etc?

Just before parliament finishes for the year, they plan to introduce “voter ID” laws, supposedly to crack down on irregularities durign elections. The Australia Election Commission says that problem is miniscule, so why the new laws?

Fearing their inevitable electoral com-uppance, the LNP want to copy the breathtakingly blatant efforts by Republicans in the US to stop their opponents from voting. They know that lots of traditional Labor voters don’t carry formal identifaction documents. 

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Sadly, as is looking like a global trend (at least in developed countries), it really voting for the least incompetent rather than the most competent.

Labor seems to be suffering by appointing leaders that are designed to keep them in opposition. I can't speak to much about Shorten, but I have been watching Albanese (usually when I am suffering insomnia - he is that good a cure) and while I have no doubt his integrity is well beyond that of the more integral LNP pollies, his inability to to even compel SFM to answer questions in parliament is, well, scary. I was watching one video where Albanese was prattling off something or other while the PM was packing his papers away and walked out of the chamber - while Albanese was in mid flight.

What did Albanese do? He just kept on with his monotonic monologue.. It was so mechanical and the fact that he was unable to bring himself to direct criticism at the PM for his utter contempt of parliament and the Australian people was as unbelievable as it was revealing.. Take that leadership style and now pit it against the more or less unregulated press, billionaires' club, corporate Australia (well global corporations), etc. that are hell bent in keeping in the party that will increasingly line their pockets and a toothless press "regulator". In the famous words of Bill Hayden when Bob Hawke took over the leadership in 1983, a drover's dog could win the upcoming election. A drover's dog would certainly win, as they are much better loved than pollies, and in the case of the incumbent opposition leader, a drover's dog has far more bite.

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

Oh, and back to topic - SFM is referring to secret texts and a dinner in the Elysee (sp?) back in June to defend he wasn't lying. Yet, he won't quote those texts, so my guess is that he lied.. He may have said there were issues with the program, but who knows what else he said - or didn't.

He said he mentioned that diesel was no longer suitable for a duel and that nuclear was more suitable for Australia's operational requirements.. Really? As I recall, the sub design was being modified for using diesel rather than nuclear, so surely, it would have been in his contemplation to ask - er - "How much to put reactors back into the design?"

• Like 1

The French  Nuke sub requires servicing and the US one doesn't .   IT's fuelled for life. . Macron is like a good dog looking after his master.  Knows WHO to growl and bark at.  Perhaps make Emmanuel an honorary Aussie.? Politician tells TRUTH about a LIAR. .Scotty reckons Macron should have "picked up" on his "inklings". Ha HA coming from HIM. Sco Mo's about as subtle as a cheek shaking FART at a Funeral Service, and as welcome. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Now Scummo is trying to conflate himself with Australia.  No mate - it was YOU who Macron called a liar.  He made positive statements about Australia and its people, but singled YOU out.  You are not Australia.  You are a particularly bad example of an Australian. 

I'm not saying the French submarine is better or worse than the US one, but here's the thing.  All this sh*t should have been sorted out before going into a contract.  What sort of moron blindly signs up for a product which they later decide is not the one they want?  Fair enough if you're buying a different brand of butter but when you're putting 90 billion dollars of taxpayers money on the line, you should have done your due diligence BEFORE signing.  Has the coastline of Australia changed since they started looking for a replacement for the Collins?   Has water itself changed?  Have our perceived or probably adversaries changed?  If the answer to all those is "no", then why the f*ck couldn't you get the contract right in the first place?

• Like 2

Macron was one of the few who heard the PM actually say something. It doesn't surprise me that it was a lie, it surprises me that he said something. Now he is saying Macron calls us all liars and his shoulders are broad so he can take it. That does not do him any good, the whole world knows he cannot be trusted, not just a few of the voters of this country who are not wearing wool over the eyes.

I am just hoping that this is the start of the end of Scumbag, but I am afraid that the electorate will believe his lies, when he raises the spectre of China attacking us, just before the election.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Spending 90 billion like you would spend s few hundred at Bunnings.. They lack ability and judgement. Know F all about anything much. Rex Patrick is an a ex sub person and is not happy Narelle. JUST  WHAT are we getting from the USA? . They know how to bullshit and bully and invade OUR privacy and pick on the badly off..  and gift the rich. just to please them and get donations. The best investment in Australia is donate secretly to the Lying Nasty Party Coal worshippers. You too can be  like Wagga Wagga IF you know the right people.. The NP will hereinafter be known as "Blackmailing Central"... Call to arms is WE shaft you well and truly  when we want the dough..Nev

• Agree 3

I get the impression Scotty FM has no mates on this forum.

But to be fair, any evaluation of him needs balance:-

On the minus side:

an incompetent, slippery, condescending, narrow minded, short sighted, opportunist, selfish, evasive, deceitful, cold hearted, ingnorant, petty, divisive, not too bright, happy clapping shyster and all round tool.

On the plus side:

• Like 3
  • Winner 1
  • Sad 1

Also, his BS zero by 2050 plan is being called out al home and internationally..

I agree with one thing about it - it will take technology to get there.. Tell us and the international community something we don't know. What he hasn't told us is how it is going to be realised in practice when there is no institutionalised incentives to get people and corporations to move that way.. something that even some states if the US are doing.

• Agree 2

Their idea is Carbon Capture & Storage.  They left out a letter though - it's commonly known as CCUS - Carbon Capture USE and storage.

So what happens is that the mining companies extract the carbon from the exhaust of the coal fired power plants (note that this is why the LNP likes it, their paymasters in coal keep digging it up) - then inject it deep into rock.  Theoretically.  Note that the extraction process means it goes through liquid with a solvent for the carbon to attach to, so there's probably a whole shedload of other nasties from the exhaust which don't get captured, then you've got that solvent going into the ground with no firm idea of what it's going to affect in the future.

However, the U in it means that it's far cheaper for them to then reuse the carbon in other stuff, so it doesn't get put in the ground at all.  I can't remember the exact figures but in all the trials of this spanning the last god knows how many years, but the amount of actual captured carbon that was put back into the ground was miniscule.

Of course, if they just invested in proven low-impact technologies, like wind and solar and pumped hydro and sunlight concentration heating molten salt, then there would be cheaper power and no profits for their mining mates, which means their share portfolios go down in value.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1