The earth moved for me

pmccarthy

According to Channel 2, the epicentre was near Mansfield, Vic, at a depth of 10 miles. Richter scale reading 6.2. Felt as far away as ACT.  Building damage in Chapel Street Prahran.

After a week of our house being shaken by the building demolition and concrete slab breaking next door, this is the last thing we needed. Almost pushed my wife around the bend. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In the big scheme of things,  earthquakes are fairly natural but happen at some places with more  frequency and intensity. This is the biggest one I can recall in THIS area and the usual epicentre is is down in Gypsland. It didn't last very long (less than a minute) and I was thinking of exiting the house. There have been no aftershocks whatever so far. Nev

What's going to happen when the Cascadia Fault in Washington State, USA does its thing? At 9PM on January 26, 1700 one of the world's largest earthquakes occurred along the west coast of North America. The undersea Cascadia thrust fault ruptured along a 680 mile length, from mid Vancouver Island to northern California in a great earthquake, producing tremendous shaking and a huge tsunami that swept across the Pacific. 

Around midnight on January 27, 1700, a mysterious tsunami stole through several villages on the eastern coast of Japan. The tsunami struck not only without warning, but without an apparent cause. Normally, tsunamis are preceded by earthquakes, Residents nearest a tsunami-causing earthquake sometimes experience both events, and in fact many islanders have known for generations to head for the hills when the ground starts moving. But in the days leading up to the 1700 tsunami, no earthquakes had been detected. With no parent earthquake to claim it, the tsunami was labelled an "orphan."

Three centuries later, an international team of scientists and scholars has linked the orphan tsunami to a massive earthquake that struck a region in North America called Cascadia. 

Based on geologic evidence, scientists think that a massive magnitude-9.0 earthquake rocked the region sometime between 1680 and 1720. In 1997, analysis of tree-rings from the Cascadia region narrowed the time of the natural disaster to a 10-month window, from August 1699 to May 1700.

The geological record reveals that "great earthquakes" (those with moment magnitude 8 or higher) occur in the Cascadia subduction zone about every 500 years on average, often accompanied by tsunamis. There is evidence of at least 13 events at intervals from about 300 to 900 years with an average of 570–590 years. Previous earthquakes are estimated to have been in 1310 AD, 810 AD, 400 AD, 170 BC and 600 BC. At 300 years since the last great earthquake, we are entering the danger period for the next big one.

In 1700, Europeans didn't know of the existence of the east coast of Australia. If a major tsunami crossed the Pacific Ocean, who, but a small population of coastal Aborigines was there to see it come ashore?  Maybe the Great Barrier Reef acted as a protective barrier so that the tsunami exhausted itself on the coral reefs. Maybe we should look into Pacific Islander legends for the kernel of truth that confirms the Japanese records.

• Informative 4

As I said in  this morning's post, the house has been a-rockin' for a week. They finished up last night, and when the shaking started again this morning, I thought, Damn, they're back again. Looked out my window and saw no-one on the site, but the venetians were rattling and the flowering bush right outside my window was shaking.

Our NBN has stopped working, so no house phone, no internet and no Foxtel.I'm currently using my daughters mobile wifi router, and can't stay online for long. Missed my Men's Shed Zoom meeting today.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

OME, are you trying to start a new doomsday story?

The "Cascadia Fault" calamity is but one of many possible calamities which might keep one awake at night with worry.

Rest easy in your sleep, friend. There are many unexpected possibilities out there but most won't occur within our lives. Just be confident that with the wisdom, resiliency and knowledge that we have gained in our lives, we will cope, no matter what comes our way.

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

OME, are you trying to start a new doomsday story?

No. Que sera, sera.

The Cascadia event is just one of those things that will happen sometime, like the mega-eruption of the Yellowstone super volcano, or Mt Vesuvius, Mt Fuji etc, etc. There is nothing Mankind can do to prevent them. I suppose the best means of survival for Australians is to live on the Great Dividing Range, or west of it.

The Great Lisbon earthquake of 1755 was a pearler, it was reputed to be 8.4 magnitude. 85% of Lisbon was totally destroyed, and up to 50,000 inhabitants died.

It struck mid-morning, which probably resulted in an initial low death toll, as compared to an earthquake that occurred at night.

As always with major earthquakes, the initial earthquake death toll wasn't massive - it increased when fires, started from candles set for All Saints Day, overturned and ignited flammable materials.

Then the residents rushed to the docks and seashore to get away from the fires and damage - and to view the marvel of the sea receding. Then the sea returned with a massive Tsunami that killed a lot more inhabitants.

Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, the 1st Marquis of Pombal, gained great fame for his rehabilitation and rebuilding efforts in the city over the next 20 plus years.

But because he was an anti-monarchist, the Portuguese royalty hated him, and they finally gained the upper hand with the accession of Queen Maria in 1777, who stripped e Melo of his entitlements, and exiled him to his estates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

I'd blame it on all the oil and condensate sucked out of Bass Strait. I reckon you can't just simply suck a huge amount of something like oil and condensate out of the Earths crust, without some major movement elsewhere, to compensate for the removal of billions of tons of weight in the form of oil and condensate.

I find it interesting that within 30 or so years of the N.W. Shelf (W.A.) gasfields being plundered for billions of tonnes of natural gas, there was a massive 6.6. magnitude offshore earthquake, about 200km West of Broome, on 14/07/2019.

It did quite a bit of damage to Broome buildings and infrastructure, and if it had been closer to the coast and nearer to a major population centre, it would have caused massive infrastructure damage, and probably a serious level of deaths.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-14/one-year-on-from-broomes-magnitude-6.6-earthquake/12450206

Oddly enough, I've lived through and experienced nearly all the bad W.A. earthquakes, and didn't feel any of them, because I was doing something that involved my direct disconnection with the Earth, as in driving a vehicle or equipment!

I was in Broome when the 6.6 magnitude quake struck, but I was driving a car, and didn't feel it!

I was driving a dozer, excavating a farm dam, about 80 kms SSE of the Meckering earthquake epicentre, when it hit on 14th Oct 1968.

I never felt a thing, but my brother drove up shortly after - he had been driving into a neighbouring farm in his Holden ute, and the earthquake struck, just as he pulled up.

He said a large overhead water tank at the farm where he pulled up, was swaying like a spindly plant in a strong wind, making for an amazing sight!

• Informative 2